Tips for seating/crimping with carbide dies

This is a discussion on Tips for seating/crimping with carbide dies within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone have any tips for using an RCBS seating/crimping die on .45acp? I read the instructions that came with the carbide die set, but I ...

Thread: Tips for seating/crimping with carbide dies

Anyone have any tips for using an RCBS seating/crimping die on .45acp? I read the instructions that came with the carbide die set, but I am still a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

Heres how I set my die up,after belling the case mouth just enough that the bullet will fit inside the rim without shaving any lead when you seat it,I adjust the seat die to set the bullet at the OAL I want, then I back out the seating part and start turning down the die til it stops,let the press up then turn 1/2 turn and run the press back up then check the crimp,youi want to remove the nbell and crimp just enough to hold the bullet firm,after I think I got it I will insert the round in the chamber of the barrel,It should slide in and out with minimum resistance,if it's tight ,then adjust crimp a little tighter about 1/2 turn at a time.once you have it where you want it,tighten lock nut and with the finished round up in the die screw the seating part in until it stops on the bullet,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Heres how I set my die up,after belling the case mouth just enough that the bullet will fit inside the rim without shaving any lead when you seat it,I adjust the seat die to set the bullet at the OAL I want, then I back out the seating part and start turning down the die til it stops,let the press up then turn 1/2 turn and run the press back up then check the crimp,youi want to remove the nbell and crimp just enough to hold the bullet firm,after I think I got it I will insert the round in the chamber of the barrel,It should slide in and out with minimum resistance,if it's tight ,then adjust crimp a little tighter about 1/2 turn at a time.once you have it where you want it,tighten lock nut and with the finished round up in the die screw the seating part in until it stops on the bullet,

That's about it.. Works well for me as well..

bosco

+1 again
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Dukalmighty has it right. The only thing I wanted to add was that on a .45ACP you want a taper crimp as opposed to the super tight roll crimp used on revolver rounds. Remember the cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case, so trimming your brass to a uniform length is important both for the headspacing and the crimping.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thanks for the help/advice guys. I loaded my first 10 cartridges last night. Going to do 190 more this weekend. I got my load just about perfect right now. going with 5.0 grains of bullseye with a 200gr. Hornady XTP JHP. I got some pretty good groupings yesterday with that. Started out with 4.0 grains and worked up to 5.0. The last three were inside and inch at 15 yards from a rest.

Good job,glad the info helped
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links