Priming problems-Lee Loadmaster

This is a discussion on Priming problems-Lee Loadmaster within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I bought a lee loadmaster set a while back for myself, my brothers and my dad to all share and get into reloading together. We ...

I bought a lee loadmaster set a while back for myself, my brothers and my dad to all share and get into reloading together. We are all brand new, and mostly they just follow my lead, poor as it may be.

Today was actually the first time I have tried to load a complete round. I just got my scale and so up until now all I have done is testing the bullet seating and depriming. After verifying throw weight of the powder scale, I loaded some primers in the tray and went to do a full cycle. Unfortunately, it didn't prime and I didn't notice until it was completed. I had to tap out all the powder out of the priming hole by hand. It has done that a few times now. I took off the shell holder plate and jiggled things around until I saw a primer feed onto the bar and it primed to a perfect depth, but I still haven't had one feed properly under normal operation.

The priming unit came preinstalled on the press, so I am assuming it was installed correctly at the factory. It does, however, see rather loose to me, but I have no other expeiance with it.

I also had one round where I positioned the primer manually that the bullet got cocked when seating and went on skewed. I thought the seating die was supposed to auto center it. What am I doing wrong?

Have you called Lee yet? In my experience they are very happy to help with any loading problems or needs. The few times I've had an issue they got me to an engineer in no time who knew exactly what the problem was (usually cockpit error :) and told me how to fix it.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I have found that mine will not propperly feed the primer if the trough is not completely full. What I do is make sure that primers are always present in the tray. I usually start out with 40 primers and as soon as the tray is empty I load another 30.

It does require me to remove the trough when I'm done to retrieve the unused primers, but I do not mind as much as beating rounds apart because they are not primed.

Once you figure all of the little nuances out, I think you'll love it! I do!
    [One Nation Under God]

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsupporter View Post
    I have found that mine will not propperly feed the primer if the trough is not completely full. What I do is make sure that primers are always present in the tray. I usually start out with 40 primers and as soon as the tray is empty I load another 30.

It does require me to remove the trough when I'm done to retrieve the unused primers, but I do not mind as much as beating rounds apart because they are not primed.

Once you figure all of the little nuances out, I think you'll love it! I do!
    Hmmm, that sounds promising. I only had a few in there. Not enough weight to push it down the slide or something I guess.

I don't have a Loadmaster, do have a Pro1000, but it looks like the Loadmaster uses the same kind of a tray and chute arrangement.

Clean out any mold flashing from the primer chute and lube the tray and chute with powdered graphite. That helps quite a bit with mine.

I dont have any graphite to try, but I just did a couple more rounds with a full tray of 100 primers and it was no different. The problem with bullet seating is still there. All my rounds that are coming out look like the attached picture. (quality is horrible but thats the best by camera could do)

I have checked, double checked, and triple checked all the adjustments for die depth, powder charge, etc etc and I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I have half a dozen useless rounds that have powder, no primer, and a skewed bullet.

I'm going to call Lee tomorrow, as it is too late for today.
    Attached Images

needs to be flared a bit more, is my opinion. Adjust the belling/charging die down maybe half a turn.

TOF
    Visit this site: loadmastervideos.com :: Index

Poke around and you will find a manual with more info than provided with the machine and a lot of good advice.

Your machine is ok you just need a bit of guidance getting it set up correctly.

Remove the primer trough and clean it thoroughly. Do not lubricate it with anything, just keep it clean and replace the plastic piece that is most likely damaged by now. Lee provided a spare for this eventuality. Mail the damaged parts to Lee and they will send replacements. If primers fall more than 1 inch below top of primer chute you will begin having trouble.

Read the instructions a couple of times then set the total machine up as instructed.

Do lubricate per instruction sheet provided with the machine.

Good luck.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Wowser! I wish I had found that site long ago. I adjusted the flare a bit and it is working fine for the dummy round I put through. I don't want to break out the powder and primers again tonight but high hopes for tomorrow again!

That was one problem I hated about the pro1000 I had was the primer feed was gravity fed,anything that impeded the primers sliding into position,including any grains of powder would mess stuff upand the powder station was right over the primer station so I really hated their setup,My Dillon has a primer feed that makes Lees look Cheap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am about to get back into reloading after several years. I haven't got my Lee press set up yet, but will soon do so. My old outfit was a Lyman Spartan single stage press. It did have a primer feed tube, but I preferred hand priming with a Lee auto prime tool. It was slower, but I could see that the primer was ready before inserting the case in the shell holder and priming it. One word of advice, get a bullet puller to reclaim bullets from improperly loaded or primed cases. I actually managed to load a couple of rounds with the primers seated backwards before I started using the Lee primer tool . Here is a link to a puller similar to mine.

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller - MidwayUSA

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Visit this site: loadmastervideos.com :: Index

Poke around and you will find a manual with more info than provided with the machine and a lot of good advice.

Your machine is ok you just need a bit of guidance getting it set up correctly.

Remove the primer trough and clean it thoroughly. Do not lubricate it with anything, just keep it clean and replace the plastic piece that is most likely damaged by now. Lee provided a spare for this eventuality. Mail the damaged parts to Lee and they will send replacements. If primers fall more than 1 inch below top of primer chute you will begin having trouble.

Read the instructions a couple of times then set the total machine up as instructed.

Do lubricate per instruction sheet provided with the machine.

Good luck.
    The Loadmaster forum is great and really helped me. My loadmaster is running with about 99-100% free of primer problems, but it took a while and a bit of help from the lads on the forum.

gave up on mine

I have had the loadmaster for quite some time, and not had a problem free moment with it, it was so bad i hand prime all my cases then run it through bypassing the primer feed setup.

Links