Atlanta Arms and Ammo Reloads and G27

This is a discussion on Atlanta Arms and Ammo Reloads and G27 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have read in numerous places that it is unwise to use reloaded ammo in the Glock 27 due to part of the chamber not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Arms and Ammo Reloads and G27

I have read in numerous places that it is unwise to use reloaded ammo in the Glock 27 due to part of the chamber not being reinforced. At my local range, they carry Atlanta Arms and Ammo FMJ's and nothing on the box stated they were reloads however after shooting a couple clips, I noticed there was quite a lot of soot forming on the exterior and my accuracy was not consistent. I noticed that the shells were all different manufactures from Remington to CCI to Wolf. That was my fault for not closely examining all of the ammunition prior to loading. Anyways, is there any truth to that regarding the G27?

I have stocked up on Federal FMJ's and Remington UMC JHP's since then for the bulk of my range shooting as I have limited funds. Even after a 150 round session, there was almost no fouling compared to less than 50 of the AA&A ammo. I'm guessing its lousy powder. Also, I wonder if there are any laws being broken regarding not having any disclosure regarding that they are reloads.

I have nothing against reloads as I use them in my uncle's Super Redhawk .44 all the time. I just don't want a fatal failure if I use them in the future in the G27.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Lee Precision mentions that it is the powder and powder company (Accurate) data that you do not want to use.

Accurate says it's okay!

I would let a gun smith check it out!

This is the only time I seen this warning, although I'm not a Glock guy!

Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://www.accuratepowder.com/Safety.htm
    [One Nation Under God]

VIP Member
    GLOCK is fairly rigid on the subject. Reloads VOID your warranty. I had a similar question regarding Zero ammo. I was never able to get a specific answer on that particular brand. I was just told that ANY reload voids the warranty.

They do not want hot-loaded ammo causing a catastrophic failure and then having it blamed on the gun.

Do what you want, but if in doubt, stick with the factory stuff.

Good luck.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Every manufacturer says not to use handloads/reloads in their firearms.

It's a plausible deniability issue in case there's a problem.

There is nothing in properly reloaded ammunition that makes is any more or any less "dangerous" than factory loaded ammo.

The problem with the G27 (and other .40S&W models) was the the original barrels did not fully support the base of the cartridge and +P loads had some rather spectacular case ruptures.

This condition has long been resolved. There no reason not to use handloads/reloads in Glocks, as long as they don't violate SAAMI pressure limits.

As for the soot and so forth, some powders, particularly medium-fast flake powders such as Unique, are dirty and that is what a lot of reloaders use. Ball powders are less dirty, but there is no such thing as a perfectly "clean" powder that leaves no residue.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I had a Kb years ago with my G17 shooting Enforcer brand factory reloaded 9mm 147gr brass case, copper jacket ammunition. After that, I pulled the rest of them (several boxes).

jbs
    Checked Georgia arms ammo (40 S&W) ran thru a G22 and my beretta. The rounds thru the glock had the pregnant bulge. The beretta rounds were fine. The cases from the glock can be straightened and reloaded again but i wouldn't fire them through a glock again. If the stretched area happens to line up in the exact spot again it could blow out. Had no problem with accuracy, a little dirtier than say remington umc.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

I too noticed the pregnant bulges on the casings. That was my primary cause for my concern in researching this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I too noticed the pregnant bulges on the casings. That was my primary cause for my concern in researching this.
    Is the Georgia Arms ammo the only one that shows a case bulge in your Glock?

Same question for jbs, please.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

AA Reloads??

Never a problem here. I always check any purchased Ammo with a Case Guage and all of my reloaded ammo. If it does not fit into the guage (lots easier than removing the barrel) shoot all of it. I also have a G-RX to resize .40S&W cases that were shot in an unsupported barrel. I use a fully supported barrel in my Glock.

Good Luck Reloading 40S&W
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Just for clarification, Georgia Arms and Atlanta Arms and Ammo are two different companies.

Majorlk - I honestly can't remember if the factory ammo had the bulges as well. I will save some casings this weekend and post pictures. I will shoot some Federal FMJ, Remington UMC JHP and Winchester 165 and 180 gr PDX1 JHP

It is a new G27 and according to the factory test rounds, was tested on 6/19/09 with 2 CCI rounds. There is a little bulging all the way around both casings about 2mm from the rim.

I didn't mean to imply that Atlanta Arms and Georgia Arms were the same. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Most ammo (including factory-fresh) pushing the pressure limits will exhibit some bulging, to one degree or another, in semi-autos. This is due to the tolerance in the barrel. A barrel that leave part of the case head unsupported will exhibit it more in that one area.

The only reason I can think of why reloaded ammo would show more, is that it has already been fired and resized once. Virtually all of my reloading for my semi-autos has been mid-range loads for plinking, I haven't seen it in my two 9mm guns. I haven't started reloading for my .40S&W, so I don't know if it will show up there.

I have some 9mm cases that have been reloaded four or five times.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Also, I wonder if there are any laws being broken regarding not having any disclosure regarding that they are reloads.
    Are you serious?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Two regular Glock shooters at my IDPA club use nothing but AA 9mm. They've apparently never had problems with this. As a reloader, I find a lot of bulged brass on our range...and we have a lot of Glock shooters, in all calibers.

That's what Lee full-length resizing dies are for.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I won't order any more frome them & it's not the product it's the SERVICE!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Are you serious?
    Serious as a heart attack Tubby. I can't sell an instrument to someone as brand new if its used so the fact that I was sold ammunition, in a professional printed box that had no labeling, marking, or notation of any kind, as well as the range not telling me they were reloads, really bothers me.

You want to sell me reloads? No problem, just tell me they are reloads, especially on a non-returnable product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links