Lee Progressive 1000

This is a discussion on Lee Progressive 1000 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just assembled my Lee and hopefully will do some loading this weekend. I have 2 questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. 1 ...

Thread: Lee Progressive 1000

Lee Progressive 1000

I just assembled my Lee and hopefully will do some loading this weekend. I have 2 questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1 - Does it matter which way I mount the powder cup on top of the auto disk powder measure?

2 - Since the dispenser uses a disk for measuring once I find the appropriate size disk, is there a need to re-weigh any charges? How can it vary since it's not a mechanical opening?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    1. yes the flat side should be on the dispensing side so you can see the hole when filling.

2. If using the single stack and the same container of powder it should stay within .1-2 grains of the first charge, if you use powder from a different lot it may vary by 10% Also refill at around a 1/4 full to keep the powder flowing properly. Titegroup works great with the autodisk.

An excellent site for Lee presses
    The Load Master Zone - reloading with Lee presses - videos and forums

I'm not sure what you mean the flat side should be on the dispensing side. I can mount it flat side front and the on/off writing will be on the rights ide, flat side back and the on/off will be on the left side.

Flat side front (facing the handle) puts the writing on the left side; so it is visible to you when sitting slightly left of the press as you operate it.

Also, make sure you keep the primer feed well supplied. As it gets down to the last 10 or so in the tray, it may not feed primers reliably.

Hint; Drill a hole in your bench and use a 'drain' to remove the old primers that will fill up inside the base.
    I have a photo of mine somewhere around here, I will see if I can find it.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Primer drain photo.
    Guess because I have already posted it it won't post again.
    Stand-by......

Let's try these.
    PVC pipe is just friction fit into bench top
    Attached Images
    This is the law;
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaShepardRU View Post
    Primer drain photo.
    Guess because I have already posted it it won't post again.
    Stand-by......

Let's try these.
    PVC pipe is just friction fit into bench top
    Neat.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Very cool idea with the PVC.

I've read a lot where people say to make sure you good supply of primers in the feed. This is probably a foolish question, but hear goes.

If I put 100 primers in the feed and only produce 50 rounds. How do I get the rest out of the black plastic feed? I'm thinking cycle the press and remove the primers from the primer pin.

Thanks for all the great advise.

Sorry, haven't checked this thread for a bit......
    It is very difficult to get them back out of the chute, but there is really no reason to do this. Once the primer feed is loaded up, ya just leave it this way.
    To remove the tray with primers in it, I just use a small bladed screwdriver to hold back the ones in the tray and unplug it. Then you have to scoop out the 2 or 4 in the throat of the chute. After filling up the tray again, I use the screwdriver to hold them back in the tray, and re-plug it in. This is only necessary if you want to add primers before the tray runs out. I do not generally have an issue running the tray dry, if you are careful. The key is to make sure the primers are still moving down the chute.
    Sounds a lot more complicated than it is.
    This is the law;

Thanks all. I had real bad go at it at first, then I think I got things worked out.

If interested you can read about my saga.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rustrated.html

Lee Reloading disks

I am suppose to use a 5.3 grain but there is no combination of disks that I have that wil total 5.3 grains. Am I missing something here? This is for a Lee Progressive 1000. Thanks for any help on this.

you try to get as close as possible,there should be a minimum and maximum charge I usually load a little above minimum for target loads,I don't own a pro 1000 anymore I went with a Dillon 550
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You should be able to get very close to 5.3, depending on your powder of course. If you use Lee's Modern Reloading, it should give the data with the proper disk cavity.

A bit of hard learned advice.......DO NOT EVER EVER USE THE LEE ADJUSTABLE CHARGE BAR, at least not for handgun rounds with loads under 8 gr! I thought it would be nice to get that extra .3 gr. of powder to really "dial" in my load. BAD idea, and it cost me a Colt barrel. Since you can't make a round hole "adjustable" they have to form a little "V" shape cavity. Even using very fine powder, sometimes the cavity isn't large enough at the center (since it isn't round) to go ahead and fill, actually failing to charge a case, and create a squib round. They are absolute junk, DO NOT USE THEM!

The regular Lee Pro Auto Disk will give you loads that are as close as they need to be, and as long as you have the chain adjusted properly, they should always charge a case properly. The adjustable charge bar was a solution for a problem that didn't exist, in my opinion.

Links