I am so frustrated

This is a discussion on I am so frustrated within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I spent about 3 hours tonight and only turned out 30 9mm rounds. Primers kept jamming or not feeding properly (lee pro 1000). Now the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am so frustrated

I am so frustrated

I spent about 3 hours tonight and only turned out 30 9mm rounds. Primers kept jamming or not feeding properly (lee pro 1000). Now the primer pin is stuck either to a primer or into the shell. The pin won't drop down and I'm not sure how to free it. I'm afraid to push to hard or hit from the top as to set off the primer. After trying for about 15 minutes I accidentally moved the handle. Now not only is the pin stuck, the round is charged.

What do I do?

2. Remove Ads

Not familiar with the 1000, but... Are you talking about the decapping pin? Were you decapping cases with live primers? In the future, just put them in a firearm, with no powder or bullet, and fire.

You can probably loosen the top nut on the decapping die to free the decap pin from the die, then work it from there. Call Lee customer service. Don't worry, nothing will happen before morning. If are worried spray some WD40 in the powder :).

It's the pin that pushes the primer in. On the Lee one stroke of the handle primes the cartridge, the next stroke moves the cartridge straight up and charges it.

I'm not worried about anything happening overnight. I'm worried about attempting to free it tomorrow. I'll probably unmount everything from my bench and take it onside. Then at least I can dump the powerder, still not sure how I will get the bottom primer pin out.

Call Lee! In my experience they have been very helpful with loading problems. They have been known to even replace parts that we screw up w/o charge. In my reading pro 1000s are a bit finicky to start with but once you get on to it, it's smooth sailing ahead.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I'll try tomorrow, but I doubt they will be open.

I don't see how the primer pin can get stuck in a primed case,sounds like there wasn't a primer and you pushed the pin into the unprimed case go ahead and rotate the case around without seating a bullet and then check to see if there is a primer in the case,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't see how the primer pin can get stuck in a primed case,sounds like there wasn't a primer and you pushed the pin into the unprimed case go ahead and rotate the case around without seating a bullet and then check to see if there is a primer in the case,
    The pin is stuck up, so it won't rotate.

Can you post a picture of the problem? If so it might help...

bosco

Not sure if these pictures help or not. One is the top view where you can see it is over the primer pin. The second is the bottom where hopefully you can see the pin is stuck up so I can not rotate the shell.

Thanks for al the help!
    Attached Images

TOF
    Once you get things straightened out you might try priming separate from powder/bullet insertion. Any grain of powder that finds its way into the priming area will cause problems. If there is no powder present the problems go away.

Once primed, install the powder dispenser and finish the job.

You will find it a much more pleasant method of operation.

How long have you been using the Pro 1000?
    I loaded between 30,000 and 40,000 rounds with one and found the separation of priming from powder to be the only way to go.

I have moved up to the Loadmaster and find it to be worth the extra cost. I still make two passes though.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

This is my first attemp at re-loading. I thought the progressive would make things easier / quicker. Once I figure out how to unjam the thing I think I will take your advice.

I have no experience with your machine, but based on its reputation, I would have to say you either have something assembled wrong or you have an operator error problem.

A phone call to Lee should get the problem solved, whatever it is.

I hope you get it solved quickly.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'm the operator, I'm betting an operator error caused the problem.

I managed to get it apart. 2 primers had fed and got jammed. I then did as mentioned above and did a 2 step process. Made 75 rounds using this method, tomorrow is the big day and I'll see how they shoot.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I managed to get it apart. 2 primers had fed and got jammed. I then did as mentioned above and did a 2 step process. Made 75 rounds using this method, tomorrow is the big day and I'll see how they shoot.
    Following the 2 or even 3 step process you can still make a lot of ammo in a short time with the Pro 1000. The case feeder, especialy if you sprung for the $10 Collator probably doubles your production rate over one you have to place a case in each pull of the lever.

3 step is when I want the best ammo I can make. I punch the primer, size and clean prior to inserting new primers. Removing primers can be done as fast as you can cycle the lever.

Many people tell me you don't gain anything by cleaning primer pockets but I have had some experience that tells me otherwise.

Things will fall in place in a fairly short time and you will start enjoying the process.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links