making your own rounds

making your own rounds

This is a discussion on making your own rounds within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am looking for a website that sells and has the written material on how to make your own rounds. If anyone know of any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

making your own rounds

I am looking for a website that sells and has the written material on how to make your own rounds. If anyone know of any sites please let me know thank you!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

Reloading

Sounds like you are thinking about reloading.

By far, the best way to get started is to find someone who reloads and learn hands on from him.

Dillon Precision is a good place to start and you can get their catalog free at 1-800-762-3845.

...Don K...

yes the way prices are going up i think is getting horrible i figure why not make my own for hunting. for personal protection i think it is better to buy store ammo
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Benjamin franklin

What sort of hunting do you plan on doing? Pistols or long guns? I'm set up for four rifle calibers now, and I can reload in the field if I need to. Lee Original loaders can still be had for under $25, and find some on EBay as well.

Administrator
    Moved thread to "Reloading"

Start here:

YouTube - Basic Reloading: Sizing Pistol Brass

Watch the videos. Then come back for some more specific information. Lots of info and help for beginners on this forum..

Hope this gives you a better idea of the entire process.

bosco

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, buy and read the book "The ABCs of Reloading."

thank you guys for the vid and book info that is what i was looking for :). this is a great place and MODs sorry about posting the thread in the wrong place thank you for moving it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Benjamin franklin

I am looking for a website that sells and has the written material on how to make your own rounds. If anyone know of any sites please let me know thank you!
    Get Lyman's Reloading Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    +1 on the lyman
    the ABC's is an ok book. best bet for that one is to head to your local sporting goods or wholesale sports (formaly known as sportsmans wharehouse) and read/ scan it. I have t and would sell it cheap like 10. tyd if you'd like it

Reloading for pistol is pretty easy, rifle re-loading and loading for ultra long range accuracy gets a bit pedantic and more complex.

I Didnt buy any books myself, just watched a couple YouTube vids and read the instruction manual that came with the dies and powder measure + load data that came with the powder.

Ive loaded about 1500 9mm rounds and shot about 500+ of them with zero issues. All of them accurate.

3 Key things are for safe trouble free loads

1) make sure your load is safe
    2) make sure the overall length of completed cases are within spec
    3) drop in drop out test each round in your barrel
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I would look at the videos online, if you want to read something then i would go to the library, that way you have no money tied up in something that you may, or may not like. just my .02

Personally, every reloader should have at least one loading manual published by either one of the powder manufacturers or bullet manufacturers. There is simply too much information that is not available in the videos or die data sheets. Those are starting points, not the complete picture.

It is foolish economy not to spend the money.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What sort of hunting do you plan on doing? Pistols or long guns? I'm set up for four rifle calibers now, and I can reload in the field if I need to. Lee Original loaders can still be had for under $25, and find some on EBay as well.
    I hunt with my 12 gauge. And when i get back home I am getting a muzzle loader. I all so shoot for fun my 9 mm and soon a 45. I am very new to the gun owning world. When i grew up my mother was against guns. I am slowly changing this. personally I have never even seen a reload done or what tools are used to do it. I like to have written material on any thing i am doing on hand that way i allways have it handy with me. the vids will do great as well but i find it easier to have it written in front of me. Where can you find those loading manuals and powder manufactures manuals? i have ordered one book off amazon all ready.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Benjamin franklin

reloading for starters

do yourself a favor, talk to some guys at your local gun shop, get the general idea. Next, invest in a good reloading press. I personally have a Square Deal B set up for the 45 acp. I can reload 100 rounds for about $9.00. It is from Dillion. I read the press manual, visited their website and watched some youtube vids. some minor issues were solved by trial and error. However, when it is issues with the actual rounds, better safe than sorry. Follow the powder measures for your particular round to the tee!!! When in doubt, pour it out!!! Double check your powder often!!! If in the process of reloading, your press gives you a problem, don't risk a "double charge" shell, pour it out and start over!!! Not trying to scare you but it is no fun when your $800.00 gun blows up in your face. The damage to yourself and your gun is not worth it. Once you get it down, the reloading, you will pay for your equipment in no time. In the first year of reloading, I paid for my equipment 61\2 times over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links