Defensive Carry banner

9mm lead bullets?

9K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
I was thinking of loading some 9mm lead bullets, but I was wondering if 9mm loads are too fast for lead. Do they create leading problems?

#7 ·
I shoot lead all the time in my 9mm. The general rule of thumb (read somewhere, can't quote the source) is that leading is not an issue until you start going above 1100+ fps. I do know that I shoot cast bullets in my levergun rifles all the time, at speeds of 1350-1800 fps and have never had any leading problems. As one poster said, you can buy the appropriate lead bullet (with the right hardness, tin content, etc.) for 9mm speeds that will not lead-up at all -- just don't use pure, soft lead.

#8 ·
The only problem you might run into is if your barrel is polygonal rifled instead of standard rifling. DO NOT shoot lead through PG rifled barrels. They will lead up quickly, and cause high pressures. Glocks and the PM line of Kahrs are PG rifled. I know of aftermarket barrels standard rifled for the Glocks, but not the Kahrs.

#13 ·
Bullet size, hardness, lube, and powder choice will have an effect on leading.

Size the bullet right, use ample hardness bullet with decent lube and medium burn powder like WSF and you will be OK. Most of the bullets on the market today are too hard. For most pistol cartridges, a bullet hardness of 14-15 BHN is plenty hard.

#17 ·
SP Magnum primers in a .38? Why?
I wouldn't do it unless a load specifically called for it.

#18 ·
Try Frontier CMJ (copper coated, lead projectiles), safe for Poly barrels as well ive loaded hundreds of these and shot them without issue in all my Glocks.

Load them to the same specs as FMJ.

Cheap as well $89US per 1000.

#21 ·
You betcha! 9mm eats up lead bullets. Best way to enjoy volume shooting is with lead.

While not necessary for .38 Special the magnum small pistol primers will certainly work for target type loads. If it is a matter of pressing into service the primers that are available to you then use them for mild to moderate loads. If you have a favored full power performance load recipe then you want to incrementally work up to it using the magnum primers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.