bullet question, quick answer if you know.

This is a discussion on bullet question, quick answer if you know. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Is it bad to shoot lead bullets through a 45 ACP? A friend of mine loaded some rounds for me and I am a little ...

Thread: bullet question, quick answer if you know.

bullet question, quick answer if you know.

Is it bad to shoot lead bullets through a 45 ACP? A friend of mine loaded some rounds for me and I am a little nervous about even shooting them. He has decades of reloading experience, but I have only ever shot FMJ through mine.

I just don't want one to get stuck in the barrel or something. I have a Taurus PT145 circa 2000.

Thanks!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

If they are loaded correctly it will not be a problem. I have shot k's. Just be careful of using someone else's reloads.
    If all you hear when you shoot is a "pop" then it did not have powder and the primer was the only propellant. Check the barrel the bullet may or may not have exited the barrel.

Senior Moderator
    I have shot tens of- thousands of rounds though several .45's with no problem.

I have several lead bullet mods of various designs and cast for the .45.

It's a cheap way to shoot.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have shot plenty of lead round nose and semi-wadcutters through the two previous 1911s I've owned. Granted, it's more difficult to clean barrels after lead as opposed to running the FMJs. Lead buildup on the lands of the rifling will also change the forensic ballistics of the firearm to a certain degree as well when going back to shooting copper jackets.

Lead loads

Lead works fine. The issues are (1) velocity, which really isn't an issue for handguns (the higher the velocity the more leading in your barrel), (2) the type of lead (the softer the lead the more will be left behind, although you don't have much control over that in this case), and (3) the type of rifling in the barrel (deep types of rifling like Ballard cut will grab the lead bullet and spin it, shallow types will just smear it). Most handgun barrels (and all stock Glock barrels) have shallow rifling, but at handgun ranges the reduction in accuracy is minimal. As noted above, the REAL issue is your confidence in the person who loaded these cases and whether they threw a consistent powder charge. Hope that helps!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The one time I shot lead bullets was through a S&W 659. The lead built up on the feed ramp and started causing FTF problems. There was alot of leading in the barrel and accuracy was so-so. Stuck with jacketed after that.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    The one time I shot lead bullets was through a S&W 659. The lead built up on the feed ramp and started causing FTF problems. There was alot of leading in the barrel and accuracy was so-so. Stuck with jacketed after that.
    Odds are the feed ramp wasn't polished smooth and the bullets were too soft. I've shot a lot of lead through my PT99 and P95 with minimal problems.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Never had a problem with lead bullets in a 1911.

One thing I do is to finish my range sessions with at least two jacketed rounds. I don't know if that really helps, but it can't hurt....

VIP Member
    I've shot thousands of my own lead reloads through my Springfield 1911 over the years without a problem.

Just don't shoot lead through a Glock unless it has an aftermarket barrel that is lead friendly.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

He actually loaded hollow point for me, but this is really great info for a SHTF situation.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Lead bullets are very popular with folks that shoot a lot. Lead fouling of the barrel can become a problem if velocity is over 1100 fps. If shooting a Glock replace the barrel with after market barrel (BARSTO is the only one I have used). Alot of the ammo sold at gun shows here is handloaded. I load my own and have never purchased someone elses hand loads, but I have friends that do it all the time. For auto I like to know for sure that the gun the brass was shot in had a fully supported chamber.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The original "Hardball" load for the 1911 was lead at IIRC 825 fps. I have cast my own and shot 1,000's. If you want to find out just how accurate your 1911 can be load up some Federal cases with their #150 primers, 8.6 gr. of Blue Dot and a well formed cast or Speer swaged bullet in the 200-230 range. If you have a half way decent gun it can be scary the groups you can shoot. I have never had a leading problem in the 5 1911's I have owned with that load and good bullets. It chrono's right @ 850 fps. The magic speed for the standard 1911 twist rate and rifling style.

If you trust the reloader, try them out. . .

Lots of people shoot lead in autos & revolvers w/o problems, but sometimes the rounds cause leading & you have to shoot them to see if that happens for you. . . .

Frankly, it gets into ALL KINDS of possibilities--far more than some other posters have pointed out. Sometimes bullets lead because they are too hard--not soft. A common cause is size--usually they do best when about .001 larger than bore size of YOUR GUN, which you won't know unless you slug the barrel. If bullets are too small, they'll probably lead your barrel. On & on it goes--powder type, smoothness of your barrel, how the lead hardness matches the pressure of your load, etc.

If you want a well-articulated list of issues, look up Fryxell's articles on NRA - IHMSA Handgun, Rifle, Air Pistol Silhouette Shooting. The Excitement Of Reactive Steel Targets At The Los Angeles Silhouette Club.

But even after reading that, you won't know the answer until you try 'em! If they are quality reloads, they're worth a try & there is no reason to be afraid of them. As to how well they perform, Fryxell & other experts could probably make a ton of measurements & give you a fairly accurate prediction, but even they would eventually have to shoot 'em to find out for sure.

If they lead your barrel, scrub it out & decide if it's too much hassle. It won't ruin your gun.

I have used only lead bullets for the last 40 years. I would hate to have to guess how many lead bulllets I have put down range. In the mid 80's I was shooting over 50,000 per year. Since the primer shortage I have slowed way down..

No problems so far.

For my SD loads I only use factory loads. No debate here just personal prefence

Hummmm. Now you have me thinking that if I didnt shoot lead bullets my powder and primer bills wouldnt be so high.

Do ya think I should sell my casting equipment?

Links