Reloading Questions

This is a discussion on Reloading Questions within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Amen! The only way I could see a problem is if you had an unfiltered moter on the vacuum. If your vacuum is 40+ y/o ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading Questions

Amen!

The only way I could see a problem is if you had an unfiltered moter on the vacuum. If your vacuum is 40+ y/o then you MIGHT have a problem. Even the super cheap China crap have filters on them.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

2. Remove Ads

As stated... "Let's say you have an accident and an ounce or so lands in the carpet."

Murphy's Law.

Beater bar revolving at high speed on carpet (rub a balloon on the carpet)...Static spark... Especially in low humidity..

No explosion mentioned..."flaming inferno"... Ignited ounce of powder with a rapid injection of air.

Only an opinion, but when working with powder I prefer to do it on a hard surface...I am sure a few grains would not cause a problem but a spill might.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Amen!

The only way I could see a problem is if you had an unfiltered moter on the vacuum. If your vacuum is 40+ y/o then you MIGHT have a problem. Even the super cheap China crap have filters on them.
    I just took a look at the vacuums in my house.. All three are modern (less than 10 years old) and are Hoover. All three do have filters granted. However the filters are all located AFTER the motor and impeller meaning that the powder must first go through the machinery before is forced into the filter.

I think this is why OSHA has rules about using certain types of vacuums when cleaning a range floor.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    I'm looking into getting into reloading as well. I'm going to take my time before making a purchase of a kit. I am highly interested in this thread, as I am in the same boat as the OP.
    The search engine is your friend. There are quite a number of threads on this already. Start with the ones already provided, and search for more. Happy to answer specific question, but no sense spending time typing what has already been typed before.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    As stated... "Let's say you have an accident and an ounce or so lands in the carpet."

Murphy's Law.

Beater bar revolving at high speed on carpet (rub a balloon on the carpet)...Static spark... Especially in low humidity..

No explosion mentioned..."flaming inferno"... Ignited ounce of powder with a rapid injection of air.

Only an opinion, but when working with powder I prefer to do it on a hard surface...I am sure a few grains would not cause a problem but a spill might.

bosco
    Easy solution - turn off the beater bar.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

<HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type"

Static Consultants Notebook
    Thoughts on static electricity and ESD related issues
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007

How does a vacuum cleaner cause static electricity?
    How does using a vacuum cleaner cause static electricity?

When dust travels in the air sucked through a vacuum cleaner it impacts on the pipe walls and other internal parts. These impacts generate static charges on the particles and on the pipe walls. If these parts are made from plastics or other insulating materials they can charge up and give static shocks. Rotating parts such as carpet beaters can also charge up through rubbing action. If the suction pipe has a metal coil and is not earthed, this can charge up and give quite an energetic spark.

If there are flammable materials present, these sparks could cause a fire or explosion risk. In larger vacuum cleaners (above about 1 m3) if the dust can give a flammable atmosphere, there may be a risk of fire or explosion in the dust collector.

Maybe not just the beater bar

Do as you wish. I'd just not chance the issue so I handle powder on a hard surface floor.

bosco

thank you Hot Guns

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Question: I rent a 2 br apartment. I'm thinking of reloading, but have some safety concerns about stray powder finding its way into the carpeting. Am I worrying too much? Can I just vacuum each reload session? Would setting up in the kitchen with tile floor be better, safety wise?
    Of course the "possibility" of a static discharge exists, but how much powder are you spilling? One cartridge that fell over onto the floor? A few granules that dribbled from the powder drop? Neither is much of a threat as to blowing up the house.

I've used a shop vac for years to clean up reloading spills. the amount of powder from one loading (3- 9 grns in my case) is hardly a concern when scattered throughout the canister. Spread about 3 grains of powder out on the concrete outside and "ignite" it. Not much to it, is there. There's little threat of "explosion" when such a small amount is not compressed. Just make sure you empty the powder out (It makes great fertilizer) when done so there's no accumulation. That could get hairy.

But if you've managed to dump an entire can on the floor, I suggest misting it with water before cleaning it up, sweeping the majority up first.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

But if you've managed to dump an entire can on the floor, I suggest misting it with water before cleaning it up, sweeping the majority up first.
    Water will cut down on the static electricity/spark potential in the carpet but it will have no effect upon the powder itself. Modern smokeless powder, especially ball powder, will burn underwater.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links