FYI -- Reloading 101 seminar -- Milwaukie, OR

This is a discussion on FYI -- Reloading 101 seminar -- Milwaukie, OR within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; FYI A person over on NorthwestFirearms.com (JohnH) is hosting a ~5hr seminar over the next few weekends, in his garage at his home. Course will ...

Thread: FYI -- Reloading 101 seminar -- Milwaukie, OR

Exclamation FYI -- Reloading 101 seminar -- Milwaukie, OR

FYI

A person over on NorthwestFirearms.com (JohnH) is hosting a ~5hr seminar over the next few weekends, in his garage at his home. Course will cover the basics and be for 5 students, at a cost of $45/session.

You'll need to be a forum member on NorthwestFirearms.com, then send JohnH a PM along with your email address so that he can contact you with details.

Thread: Reloading Basics Class 101

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH on NorwestFirearms.com
    Over the last several months I have talked to numerous people about having a small ‘hand-on’ class on the basics of Reloading. Almost everyone I have spoken with has expressed some level of interest so I am going to have my first class November 21st starting at 8:00 a.m. and lasting between 4-5 hours. I have an additional class scheduled for November 28th and December 19th depending on interest. Class size will be limited to 5 people as everyone will be pulling handles and making bullets by the end of class. We will be discussing both Hand Gun and Rifle loading. The cost will be $45 per person.

Basic overview of class agenda will be:
    1. Understanding Bullet Components
    2. Reloading Equipment
    3. Purchasing Equipment and Supplies
    4. Understanding the costs/possible savings of reloading and other benefits.
    5. Steps to loading a bullet (this will be ‘hands on’ where everyone will pull the handle and make some bullets with both a single stage press and a Dillon 650 progressive press). These will be hand gun loads that I currently load and shoot.
    6. Available on-line information

My purpose for the class is to help anyone who is either in the process of getting started or is considering reloading in the future. The class will give you an opportunity to see all the steps, equipment required to load your own ammunition. It will also provide some idea of the time required so you can make a better informed decision whether reloading is something you should embark on or not.

If you are interested please PM me and include your e-mail address as I have a questioner I will be sending you. The questioner will hopefully help me find a common caliber we can all load during class.

Thanks, John

Class schedule status:
    • November 21st: Full
    • Novmeber 28th: 3 open spots (Note: this class may have a 9:00AM start time)
    • December 19th: 3 open spots

I have also had one member who can not make a Saturday class so I will have a Sunday class in there is enough interest.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

My only comment is in the following terminology:

"everyone will be pulling handles and making bullets by the end of class."

One makes or reloads cartridges or rounds; bullets are the pointy things sticking out of the front of the cartridge case.

I tend to distrust people who pass themselves off as teachers and don't use correct terminology.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Moist folks I know that reload learned from a friend in a garage. But this is a nice option for those that don't have the friend option.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    My only comment is in the following terminology:

"everyone will be pulling handles and making bullets by the end of class."

One makes or reloads cartridges or rounds; bullets are the pointy things sticking out of the front of the cartridge case.

I tend to distrust people who pass themselves off as teachers and don't use correct terminology.
    Actually, in common usage, "bullet" can refer to the entire cartridge as well. This class is likely marketed to folks who do not yet know the finer points of individual components of the cartridge. I'm sure we all hope that the students leave with a better understanding, but I wouldn't write off the teacher for his wording in an advertisement.

Of course, after the students pull the handles and make the bullets they can load them in their "clips."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Yeah, well. Reloading is, by all accounts, simple enough for anyone to pick up using a book and the basic tools. If that's true, then a reasonably attentive and serious person with more than a few turns 'round the dance floor should be able to impart quite a bit of good, basic knowledge that will be useful to folks. One need not be The Teacher or the perfect wordsmith/grammarian to help others. (Even "moist" folks can be helpful. )

Who knows? Perhaps both (a) pulling handles on a reloading station to form cartridges and (b) making bullets will both be part of the introduction. It doesn't specify. As for what the components are, this is part of the introduction. It'll get specific the moment it's introduced, and it'll be confirmed correct the moment anyone points to a photo in the Lee or Speer books, or any other basic overview/guide.

Anyway. Folks should see this is what it is. It ain't Harvard. It's a guy in his garage with the equipment and basic experience to provide 5hrs of introduction to folks looking to find the path. It's one point of input amongst a sea of sources. Nothing more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm happy he's doing the classes, folks. The price is pretty good, considering he supplying the components.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links