Reloading advice? - Page 2

Reloading advice?

This is a discussion on Reloading advice? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I tumble my brass before depriming, then use a simple plastic sieve from Midway. I dump in the cleaned brass and shake it. Media falls ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advice?

I tumble my brass before depriming, then use a simple plastic sieve from Midway. I dump in the cleaned brass and shake it. Media falls out and I roll the brass around in a large bath towel to remove the remaining dust.

I am a little fanatical and go one step more by then washing the brass in hot water with a dash of windex, rinse it well and toss it with some 91% alcohol. Then after drying it goes to the reloading bench..

A little overkill but it works for me since I have lots of spare time and reload only a few hundred rounds at a time.

bosco

Bosco, can I send my brass up to you when it gets a bit dull?

My tumbler came with a lid that has holes in it. I use a 5 gallon bucket and turn the tumbler bowl upside down over it and roll the brass around inside untill all the media falls into the big bucket.

I also tumble before depriming.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    What have some of you found to be the easiest way to separate the media from the brass?
    Unless you are tumbling a thousand rounds of something at a time, a large plastic kitchen colander works just fine. You DON'T want to use your wife's - buy your own!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

""You DON'T want to use your wife's - buy your own! ""

Hmmm.. Grey spaghetti with a corny aftertaste...

bosco

Most of the handgun brass I have was from pick up at the range. Inspection will take care of potential problems. I have several thousand .45 ACP that were picked up from the range. I will confess that the bulk of them were from LE qualifications, and they did not pick up their brass.

Regards,
    Jerry

I thought that the book called "ABC's of Reloading" was well worth it. And as mentioned earlier, buy all the primers you can.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

reloading system

use a Dillion Square Deal B for my 45acp. progressive press, very productive, use 4.5 g of 231 Win with a 200 g LSWC, have never really measured the OAL of my rounds, always go bang!! Get 1500 rounds of LSWC for about $92.00 from Stonewall Bullet Co in La. pick up the brass from the range, never had a problem, Average bullet speed is 642 fps. buy my media from local pet shop, get the crushed walnut shell used in snake cages, works great with 3 cap of brass cleaner from Dillion. separate the brass from media using a "pooper scooper" from the pet store also. why pay the high prices when this works just fine. can produce 100 rounds of 45acp for about $9.00. Been doing this for about 2 years, have saved the cost of my setup many times over!!!! Plus, it is really relaxing and enjoyable.

Thanks Guys hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!! working on reloading bench this weekend.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

how many times can you reload a brass casing?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    What have some of you found to be the easiest way to separate the media from the brass?
    the one tumbler i bought came with a media seperator stick the brass and media in turn and it gets most of it out. rockford arsenal or something like that, the device is very cheap and have now regulated it to seperating grass, dirt, and other debris from the brass before tossing them in the tumblers. I use dillon's brass seperator built a heck of a lot stronger and doesn't spill as much media. Cheaper options would be some sort of sifter or strainer like for spaghetti. I considered just making a frame and attatching some screening to it to make a sifter as a cheap option

Quote Originally Posted by rjfusedneck View Post
    a lot of people say a lot of different things. Mostly I inspect the brass after cleaning and look for deformities i.e. crack, bulges and the like. seems to work well for me so far. some people like to separate their brass into how many times its been fired and throw it out after whatever amount they deem is unsafe/unusable

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    There are people that reload to save money

and

There are people that assemble ammunition cause they want consistant, reliable rounds to plink and hunt with.

If you are the former then by all means visual inspection, good enough...right? But if you are the latter then here is my .02

There are many reasons to not pick up someone elses brass... some ranges will kick you out if intentionally pick up another customer's brass. Which is why those ranges have a sign that say brass left by other people are property of the range. Most times they collect, decap, clean, bag and sell once fired brass to make a little extra scratch. Disobeying the rule is like stealing from the range.

However I said it wasn't a good idea cause of the unknown factors and condition because its why I don't pick up unknown brass. Its just not good practice to do so.

On that note seperate brass by brand and type. Also try to seperate by runs if possible (once fired, twice fired) metals other then brass isn't really reloadable. Nickle coated maybe but probably not good for the dies.

Brass is good for several reloadings as already said you should check carefully before putting it through the routine. If its questionable its better to toss in the scrap pile then to chance it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    There are people that reload to save money

and

There are people that assemble ammunition cause they want consistant, reliable rounds to plink and hunt with.

If you are the former then by all means visual inspection, good enough...right? But if you are the latter then here is my .02

There are many reasons to not pick up someone elses brass... some ranges will kick you out if intentionally pick up another customer's brass. Which is why those ranges have a sign that say brass left by other people are property of the range. Most times they collect, decap, clean, bag and sell once fired brass to make a little extra scratch. Disobeying the rule is like stealing from the range.

However I said it wasn't a good idea cause of the unknown factors and condition because its why I don't pick up unknown brass. Its just not good practice to do so.

On that note seperate brass by brand and type. Also try to seperate by runs if possible (once fired, twice fired) metals other then brass isn't really reloadable. Nickle coated maybe but probably not good for the dies.

Brass is good for several reloadings as already said you should check carefully before putting it through the routine. If its questionable its better to toss in the scrap pile then to chance it.

that was my intention but it seems like i'm just as broke reloading! always having to buy primers and lead and such...i enjoy it thoroughly but the money i "save" just means i shoot more lol..:-D

Quote Originally Posted by rjfusedneck View Post
    Instead of posting the same questions in every thread, why not create a thread of your own and ask all the different questions at once?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    .223, .30-06, and .45--exactly what I'm reloading (or have). I've loaded .38s, 357s, .41s, .30 Herritt, and shotguns shells also. Saw some good advice above, but a good reloading manual will tell you much more. I started out with a Speer manual. (Edition 9 if that says anything.)

Reloading is easy and therapeutic. I'm not into cranking out 500 rds at a time so my old Herter's press still does the job.

Carbide sizing die for the .45 acp. You'll find lubing/cleaning cases is the biggest pain in reloading and you'll probably be loading more .45 than the rifle shells.

Tumbler gets the dirt and grit off the cases and prevents damaging the sizing dies. A scratched die can destroy casings. Cases look nice too.

Most important is making sure powder load is correct. A quick visual check before seating bullet is ESSENTIAL! A low charge can be much more hazardous than an over charge. Use scales! Recheck your bullet drop (if you have one) frequently. I check every tenth load and dump all ten if the load is off more than .1 grain. Rifle powder tends to vary more than pistol due to the size of the granuals. Never have more than one type of powder in use, and make sure all the previous powder is cleaned fron the reloader before starting with a new one.

Sized case length is more important than overall cartridge length (in most loads). For instance, my 30-06 rounds are so long the bullet almost touches the rifling and won't fit some other gun mags. but they're for MY 700, not someone's Winchester. And the accuracy is exceptional. 165 grain Sierra boattails are a supurb hunting round for up to elk-sized game, and the long-range trajctory is excellent. I've also loaded 130 HPs for varmits and there's nothing left when you connect. ;-) But recoil is annoying for lots of shots, which is why I have the .223. It's cool to actually see the bullet smack a chuck at 300 yds.

Just getting into the .45. Have a Glock 30 and supposedly you shouldn't reload for Glocks (Type of rifling used.). Aftermarket barrel is on the Xmas list so I can shoot lead target loads and I've already loaded up test rounds.

Any specific questions--feel free to send a message.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links