Reloading advice?

Reloading advice?

This is a discussion on Reloading advice? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Salute All I just got my Bday present from wife ordered a LEE 4 hole turent reloading kit - 45acp dies and reloading book lee ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advice?

Reloading advice?

Salute All
    I just got my Bday present from wife ordered a LEE 4 hole turent reloading kit - 45acp dies and reloading book lee 2nd edition. I dont plan to be up and rolling till jan I wanted to take my time and setup in my shop a reloading bench and such . and looking at ordering a few more things but will start with 45acp,223rem and 30-06SPR . just wanted to start for many reasons but mainly enjoyment as a hobbie. I'd like to see if you guys have any advice for someone new to reloading and startup?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Lead Moderator
    Read a few books before beginning. Find someone who already reloads to help coach you if possible. Go slow and double / triple check your work as you reload. Work up loads from low power up to what you want.
    with the turret press start with one round at a time to really pay attention to what you are doing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Order your primers now... They seem to be the hardest components to find at this time.

No question is a dumb question....
    Avoid distractions when reloading....esp. when charging your rounds.
    Get a set of calipers and check your finished rounds.
    If something looks funny or feels funny check it out.
    Go slow when adjusting belling, seating depth and crimp.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Order your primers now... They seem to be the hardest components to find at this time.

No question is a dumb question....
    Avoid distractions when reloading....esp. when charging your rounds.
    Get a set of calipers and check your finished rounds.
    If something looks funny or feels funny check it out.
    Go slow when adjusting belling, seating depth and crimp.

bosco
    You really need a good dial or electronic caliper to even set bullet seating depth and overall length.

While you can insert a factory round into the seating die and just run the seating stem down until it contacts the bullet, this is not a good way to sept the depth and OAL.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Caliper, case trimmer, brass tumbler. If your cases aren't the same length your crimps won't be the same. 45 ACP headspaces off case mouth. Clean cases look better, size better and are easier to inspect. Start getting primers now. Intetrnet orders take a long time. The local stores that get primers in have a 500 limit here. It is getting better.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Got a good Caliper already ! Ordering tumbler this weekend! Ive got 2 buddies that reload and you guys on this site which I will seek your advise most often!! And I plan to make this a life long event so now im reading and collecting if it takes months to be ready so be it.. I just want to be right.
    Thanks Again..
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

Good luck.

There is a bunch of good information in this part of the forum, along with pictures of folks setups, and all kinds of things that will keep both interested and busy for quite some time.

Start slow, don't go loading too many before you try out some of your rounds, and work up to the point where you do hundreds or even a thousand at a time after you find a load that is good for you. Nothing worse than making a bunch of rounds only to find out you don't like the way they shoot, and then burning through them just to get the brass to try another load.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    "Work up loads from low power up to what you want.
    with the turret press start with one round at a time to really pay attention to what you are doing."

+1 You would be doing yourself a favor by loading no less than a 100 rounds this way. The press is as much about feel as visual. After you have loaded one at a time and feel comfortable, you'll be able to feel what each station is doing when you are hitting every station at once. And you will be suprised when you are able to tell something isn't quite right i.e a primmer not seating correctly.

When in doubt....check it out!

Even if you use a powder measure you'll still want to weigh every 10th round or so. Remember its not about how many rounds you can load in a minute, but the quality of the rounds you produce.

This is a very satisfying hobby that you will enjoy and you'll learn something almost every time you load. Enjoy!!!!
    [One Nation Under God]

I just got my Bday present from wife ordered a LEE 4 hole turent reloading kit
    Cool. The "Classic" Turret, or the older and cheaper one?

I'd like to see if you guys have any advice for someone new to reloading and startup?
    Have multiple manuals. Get Lyman's reloading manual (49th edition is current) and read the instructional chapters.

Anything that saves labor is good. Carbide is good. Powder safe spray lubes are good.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Cool. The "Classic" Turret, or the older and cheaper one?

Have multiple manuals. Get Lyman's reloading manual (49th edition is current) and read the instructional chapters.

Anything that saves labor is good. Carbide is good. Powder safe spray lubes are good.
    I got the newer delux 4 hole turrent and books ive invested in so far LEEs Modern reloading 2nd edition and The complete reloading manual for 45acp.It had really good reviews on 2 sites I check'd. but was in my budget .
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

TomEgun,

You can make a lot of ammo with a turret press. I have been using Lyman T-Mag since I got started. Caliber change overs are really quick.

I do use mine similar to a single stage. I do all the depriming for one caliber at one time after I have tumbled the brass. I use old plastic rice containers, or planters peanut containers to store the brass.

When I am ready to make some rounds I then expand the neck and prime the cases. I will do however many I plan on making all at once, usually in sets of 100. After I get how ever many hundreds of cases primed, then I move and charge them with powder and seat the bullets in batches of 100 as well.

Depending on how much brass I have of any particular caliber I will do anywhere from 200 to upwards of 7 or 800 at a time in these stages.

Working like this I can do between 100 and 150 per hour comfortably and I only have to worry about having primers out at that stage, or having powder out at the stage I am doing it.

If I run out of plastic ammo boxes, I can always use the plastic containers I store my brass in to store the finished rounds.

With a bit of tinkering, you will figure out a process that works best for you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Don't use brass you find at the range... as tempting as it may be you don't know the condition of it.

Get a formula down for the type of round you are building. Select a powder and stick with it.

Double charging even 1 round can lead to a kaboom so be darn sure you charge the case once!

As said previously read books and look at information on the internet but take unpublished internet formulas with a grain of salt... you never know how they where developed.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I pick up brass at the range and a close inspection can determine if it's safe to load or not,I use 5 grains of unique behind a 200 grain lead bullet for 45 acp and have good luck with it,It chronographed around 850 fps out of a 5" gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Got a good Caliper already ! Ordering tumbler this weekend! Ive got 2 buddies that reload and you guys on this site which I will seek your advise most often!! And I plan to make this a life long event so now im reading and collecting if it takes months to be ready so be it.. I just want to be right.
    Thanks Again..
    as far as the tumbler check your Harbor Freight store if you have one near you. They have tumblers pretty darn cheap and even a super doooper sized one. Plus they had 25lbs of media for about $20 or $25 which seems to be cheaper than the gun shows and name brand stuff out there. If I hadn't already bought a tumbler recently I'd have gotten one from then as a second instead of the one I got

What have some of you found to be the easiest way to separate the media from the brass?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links