less than minimum powder charge; handguns

This is a discussion on less than minimum powder charge; handguns within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am just wondering if it is safe to load less than the minimun powder gr.? assuming the following are done correctly. 1. oal is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: less than minimum powder charge; handguns

I am just wondering if it is safe to load less than the minimun powder gr.? assuming the following are done correctly.
    1. oal is withing specs.
    2. brass is in good shape.

I am looking at starting at 90% of minimum and working my way up.
    thanks in advance

JD
    Administrator
    90% of minimum may result in a squib, I wouldn't do it, the minimum is there for a reason.

In a semi-auto or revolver? If using a semi, you will probably need to change the recoil spring for proper operation.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Your best bet is to Always follow the powder recipes!
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    90% of minimum may result in a squib, I wouldn't do it, the minimum is there for a reason.

In a semi-auto or revolver? If using a semi, you will probably need to change the recoil spring for proper operation.
    exactally correct. The minimum is usually an indication of proper operation and expansion of bullet (if applicable)

Might I ask the reason you would want less charge in the round you are building?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

TOF
    If after lower energy loads look at the various powder types and select a load that is within chart limits but yields lower velocities.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I have done it when I wanted a very light load. Unless one goes much below the minimum I would not think a squib was likely, and failure to cycle the action would be the higher probability.

Caution is always the word when handloading.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have a 155gr. raniere tmj bullet. raniere says to use leade cast recipes. I cant find any rcipes for this aprticular bullet in a published book. any advice short of getting different bullets.

I don't worry about using lead data. I use relatively light loads and use what the powder manufacturer shows in the book.

Are you using a .40 S&W?

Regards,
    Jerry

yes .40 S&W. looking for recipe for raniere plated 155 gr flat nose.

Quote Originally Posted by skippymcgu View Post
    yes .40 S&W. looking for recipe for raniere plated 155 gr flat nose.
    I would go to the handbooks, select the minimum load for jacketed bullets of that weight and go from there.
    I suspect that plated bullets cannot handle the top velocities of jacketed bullets withoug the plating coming off and accuracy suffering. I don't know that, but think that is the case.

I have loaded thousands of the Ranier plated bullets, and use the loads for jacketed bullets of the same weight. I do not use near max loads as they are for range use.

Regards,
    Jerry

I would not recomend going below minimum loads.

Rule of thumb for plated bullets is to use lead bullet data for a bullet of the same weight + type. I have loaded and fired thousands of Rainier plated bullets in 9mm and 45 acp using mid range lead data with no problems. I started with a minimum charge of Unique behind a 230 gr RN Rainier .45 and it would not reliably cycle the slide on my G30. I bumped it up a couple tenths of a grain and they worked great. Don't have any experiance with .40's though.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I have a 155gr. raniere tmj bullet. raniere says to use leade cast recipes. I cant find any rcipes for this aprticular bullet in a published book. any advice short of getting different bullets.
    Look at the Accurate Reloading Data. They have loads for Rainier, Berry and Lead bullets in 155 grain. Ramshot Powders also has lead bullet loads for their powders. If all else fails, try to find someone with a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. It may have loads for the 40 S&W.

And yes, you can go below published minimums but it must be worked to slowly and there are some powders (usually rifle powders) that should not be reduced. However, shooting an auto usually won't give you much latitude below published minimums as you need a certain amount of power to cycle the action reliably. I shoot 45 Colt for CAS and use a 200 gr. bullet in my revolvers with Hodgdon Titegroup. The starting load published by Hodgdon is 6.5 grains for 933 fps. I'm using 4.2 grains of Titegroup and still getting about 700 fps. More than enough for CAS including the knockdown targets.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

JerryM. Do you start at the minimum of those loads or below minimum. Thanks

From Rainier's web site:
    We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.
    From Berry's web site:
    Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
    As long as you use the starting load for jacketed bullets, I don't believe you'll have any problems.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

JerryM. Do you start at the minimum of those loads or below minimum. Thanks
    I always start with minmum. Usually minimum is a mild load, and so I do not normally see any advantage to going below. In a few cases I have to see how low before the gun would not cycle. Otherwise I go with minimum or mid range.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links