Would this get me started? - Page 2

Would this get me started?

This is a discussion on Would this get me started? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by ScubaDuba Would this get me started reloading? Or do I need more stuff? Do I really need the tumbler, or is it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    Would this get me started reloading? Or do I need more stuff? Do I really need the tumbler, or is it something I can get later. I'm planning on checking a couple of books out from the library, but when I get the equipment, I want to get what I need at once, so i'm not going back and ordering something else.

LEE 50Th Anniversary Breech Lock Reloading Kit 90050 - eBay (item 230361332542 end time Dec-24-09 03:48:00 PST)

Lee Loader Reloading Kit - .45 Auto #90262 - eBay (item 180442579555 end time Jan-05-10 16:36:45 PST)
    Pass on the Lee Loader. It only makes sense if you have severe space restrictions.

On the other Lee kit, add a couple loading trays. Something like this. They keep things organized.

I don't care for the case lube included with that kit. If you're loading a straight walled pistol cartridge, you should be getting a dieset with a carbide sizer anyway, which makes the lube question moot. Mostly.

Buy a good manual, because you'll want to keep it.

You can pass on the tumbler. Get it later, if you want.

Midway has it cheaper
    I'll check out Midway
    Mind the shipping.

I got the book, ABCs of Reloading and have read it. I still can't decide which machine I want yet though. I definitely am aiming for a single stage. I have access to basically unlimited used wheel weights, so I'm going to try my hand at casting and will need to get equipment for that as well.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I know this is more expensive than the Lee kits, but I would highly suggest you look at the Lyman Turret Press Kit. Much heavier duty equipment and very well built. With extra tool heads, you can leave your dies set up without having to remove and readjust each time you switch calibers and the cast iron frame is tough enough to full length resize rifle calibers without twisting the frame. It comes with:
    * T-Mag 2 Turret press
    * Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
    * 1000XP Electronic Scale
    * #55 Powder Measure
    * Universal Priming Arm
    * Primer Tray
    * Auto Primer Feed
    * Extra Decapping Pins
    * 48th Edition Reloading Handbook
    * Primer Catcher
    * Deburring Tool
    * Powder Funnel
    * Case Lube Kit
    * Quick Release Turret System
    * 7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press turret)
    I do think you'll want a tumbler. I almost consider it a necessity for straight wall pistol cases. You can get a nice kit from Midway that includes a media separator (extremely useful) for $64.00. I have three of these tumblers with the oldest one being about 25 years old and they all still run strong. I recently retired them when I purchased a Dillon CV-2001 but the little Midway tumblers will serve you well.

Do buy carbide dies for your straight wall pistol cases. And for your .308, I highly recommend using a spray lube. My favorite is Hornady One-Shot.

I would also recommend a Lyman EZ case length gauge and a decent digital caliper.

Forgot. I would also suggest a hand priming tool. Much faster than press priming. Either the Lee Auto Prime or the RCBS Universal Hand Primer (my favorite). It has spring loaded jaws that function as a universal shell holder so no switching out shell holders. It also has a steel bar that isolates the primer tray during the priming process so that in the unlikely event of a primer detonation, the rest of the primers in the tray can't be ignited.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll read up on that set up. I'm thinking about making a purchase in February, so I will be sure to get something I'm going to be happy with, and enjoy using.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I started out with a lee pro 1000,I upgraded after about 6 months to Dillon and now have about 3500.00 invested in bullet casting and reloading equipment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links