Would this get me started?

This is a discussion on Would this get me started? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Would this get me started reloading? Or do I need more stuff? Do I really need the tumbler, or is it something I can get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this get me started?

Would this get me started reloading? Or do I need more stuff? Do I really need the tumbler, or is it something I can get later. I'm planning on checking a couple of books out from the library, but when I get the equipment, I want to get what I need at once, so i'm not going back and ordering something else.

LEE 50Th Anniversary Breech Lock Reloading Kit 90050 - eBay (item 230361332542 end time Dec-24-09 03:48:00 PST)

Lee Loader Reloading Kit - .45 Auto #90262 - eBay (item 180442579555 end time Jan-05-10 16:36:45 PST)

The first link shows a nice little set that would get you going with a few more items.

Get a reloading manual and keep it handy (The Bible).
    Set of dies and shell holder for your specific caliber
    Shell holder for the priming tool (specific for your caliber)
    Set of calipers to verify what you are doing is within specs.
    A reloading block or two.

Powder-Primers-Bullets

Using a tumbler will:
    A. make a much better looking finished product,
    B. keep your dies from getting gunked up or scratched.
    Reload a few hundred rounds of uncleaned brass you will see the benefits to cleaning and polishing fired brass.

The second link you show will reload ammo but for me it would make the entire process quite a chore.

If I have missed anything (and I am sure I have) more advice should be coming
    as others chime in with advice..
    OMO
    bosco

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Midway has it cheaper and they say the only thing you need is a case length gauge, besides your components. I'm just getting into reloading myself and it sounds to me like yes, you can reload with just the kit but you will want other tools also.

Thanks, I'll check out Midway. I wish there was a kit you could buy, and need nothing else besides primer powder and bullets.

Yep exactly what I have (Lee) It is cheap, built well built very easy for a beginner to get started with. I still dont have a case tumbler, will buy one soon though. I just clean the brass off to get the case lube off and no problems.
    +1 on the calipers a definate must have bought mine at home depot

I went ahead and ordered this.
    Amazon.com: Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert (9780896896093): Bill Chevalier: Books

Hopefully I can learn enough to feel good about what I'm ordering when I buy my equipment, and know enough to actually be fairly confident when beginning.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Reloading is the Cocaine of shooters. The always something else you just gotta have!

You didn't mention what you want to reload, how many rounds, etc. Anything will get you started, but as you learn the roapes, there's always another gaget to make things easier, better, faster, whatever.

A tumbler is great for cleaning cases. One scratch in a carbide die and it's history.
    Carbide dies eliminate lubing straight-wall cases (9mm, .45, etc.), the one process in reloading I hate.
    A good powder measure make the loads more consistant.

I don't know of any one kit that has everything. There's too many options for that. Press, dies, shell holder, powder measure, etc. is what's needed to start. A simple cartridge gage ( electronic micrometers are great but not necessary).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Having all your cases the same length will make for better crimping so I would add a case trimer to the mix.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I would not be without case gages and a Lee Factory Crimp die for each handgun cartridge for which I reload. Also, carbide dies are worth double what they cost.

I assume you are reloading for handguns.

Regards,
    Jerry

Yeah, planning on reloading .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and .308 Win. I'm hoping the book will put me on the path to getting the right stuff. Kind of like those carbide dies. I would rather get something like that out the gate, than get something else, and then upgrade later. I have a bad, bad habit of wanting "upgrades"!!

You might want to get something like a Dillon down the road, but you will still have a use for what you are getting.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I was looking at powder and primers on the internet. Everywhere I look it seems like primers are all out of stock. Maybe it isn't such a good time to get into reloading.

They will eventually get to you.. Order now and wait.
    OMO
    bosco

I just looked at Midway. Can get the Lee Anniversary kit, 4 piece carbide dies, and length gage with shell holder for 126 plus shipping

You will also need the Lee shell holder for the priming tool. It is not the same one you use for the press.

bosco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links