Let's See Your Reloading Bench

This is a discussion on Let's See Your Reloading Bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Here is a pic of mine: It is a steel fire door I got from work and added pipe legs to. I like the idea ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Let's See Your Reloading Bench

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Let's See Your Reloading Bench

Here is a pic of mine:

It is a steel fire door I got from work and added pipe legs to. I like the idea of a metal bench since powder can't get worked into the surface over time, causing a potential fire hazard.

On the left is the MEC9000 in 20 ga for loading skeet rounds, and on the right is the Dillon 550B.

Missing from the photo are some cabinets up above that I picked up from the local Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Let's see yours.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    here is mine

Just a word of advice----Be sure you ground that steel loading bench!!! A static charge can/will build up and could cause a great surprize.

You REALLY dont want to see my bench!!!!!! It is a thing of beauty to me---for all others it is a horrible eyesore. The wife has standing orders not to touch anything on that bench for fear that it may never be found again.

I'd show you mine,but I haven't seen it in 6 months with all the stuff on it
    The Old Anglo and mjf55 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Seems we had a similar post a few months ago. Still fun to see everyones set up though,
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Just dug out my Grandpa's reloading equipment, and started setting it up today when I happened upon this thread.

Trying to make due with the small space I have available to use.

Any suggestions on equipment to look at adding? Should be getting some money for christmas/birthday for shooting stuff, might want to add some new stuff to my reloading setup after I get back into it. I do enjoy the single stage press as it forces me to focus on exactly what I'm doing.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I find the Lee Turret press a very good deal for the money, you can do about 150 pistol rds an hour and about 60-100 rifle. It keeps you involved in the process and you learn a lot.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    Any suggestions on equipment to look at adding? Should be getting some money for christmas/birthday for shooting stuff, might want to add some new stuff to my reloading setup after I get back into it. I do enjoy the single stage press as it forces me to focus on exactly what I'm doing.
    A cheap roller tool box for storeage.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Seems we had a similar post a few months ago. Still fun to see everyones set up though,

Where do you get those Red Bins I have been looking for those EVERYWHERE.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Where do you get those Red Bins I have been looking for those EVERYWHERE.
    Try this. They have a variety

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    Just dug out my Grandpa's reloading equipment, and started setting it up today when I happened upon this thread.

Trying to make due with the small space I have available to use.

Do you have a powder scale? If not, you might want to consider getting one to check your powder measure against. I've seen powder measures that have been way off depending on the powder used.

I inherited those stacking bins from a cellular company I was working for in Ohio. They had been bought by another carrier and were throwing tons of stuff out. Those originally came from Tessco. Their website does not show that size but Grainger has them also.
    Bin Box, Hopper, Red - Bins And Boxes - Storage - Material Handling : Grainger Industrial Supply
    Probably cheaper other places, you'll need to look around. They are handy.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Major G View Post
    Do you have a powder scale? If not, you might want to consider getting one to check your powder measure against. I've seen powder measures that have been way off depending on the powder used.
    Yeah, this is what I have for a scale. Seems to work alright.

I would invest in a quality digital scale. With a single stage press you are hand weighing each charge, and the digital scale makes it a bit easier. I just use a spoon to take some powder out if necessary to dump into my trickler. Always remember to have the scale at zero when starting and in between rounds. After awhile you kinda get the feel of how much to remove with the spoon if your powder thrower is older and isn't as accurate, and if you load alot of handgun caliber (3.5g-6g) the powder thrower will have a harder time throwing that low of a charge too. Be careful because .01-2grain can make a big diff between a reg load and a max load. I use a single stage for this reason, I may make ammo alot slower than some of the progressive systems, but I have alot more control over seeing what goes into each and every round, and therefore having more uniformity. And the best part you learn to appreciate the ammo you shoot more becuase of the time investment you put into making it, and therefore just don't blow through 300-400 rounds at the range. I am fortunate enough to be able to use a facility that i can draw/fire, move around, shoot on move, setup idpa scenarios. I walk out having only shot maybe 100 rounds for each caliber (9, .45) but still having had a worthwhile muscle memory training session!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links