need to know some good 9mm recipes!

This is a discussion on need to know some good 9mm recipes! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Rob99VMI04, What O.A.L are you using with the 124 (FP?) Berry's bullet? Terry...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need to know some good 9mm recipes!

Rob99VMI04,

What O.A.L are you using with the 124 (FP?) Berry's bullet?

Terry

2. Remove Ads

First: I'm not a fan of Bullseye. I know a lot of people use it but it is a vary fast powder and the charge weights from minimum to maximum on a case as small as a 9mm are very small. My favorites for 9mm are AA #2 or AA #5. If you want to use Bullseye or Unique, here's Alliant's data manual. Be aware that they list only maximum loads and you should reduce that load by 10% to get a starting load.

Second: Don't shoot lead bullets out of a polygonal barrel. Not a problem with your XD but should you some day buy a Kahr (other than the CW series),Glock, HK, etc. that uses a polygonal barrel and decide to use lead bullets, just don't say you weren't warned if it blows.

Third: I really don't want to sound overly harsh or scare you off from asking questions but based on some of your questions you really need to push the loading equipment to the back of your bench and don't touch it again until you have bought, and read thoroughly, a good reloading manual. Reloading doesn't have to be dangerous but it's no place to learn by trial and error.

Lastly: I urge you not to ask anyone, be it in person or on a bulletin board, for their "pet" loads. Take your loads only from good loading manuals or from the powder manufacturer's web site. I much prefer taking my loads from the manufacturer of the powder. For the most part, a primer is a primer, a case is a case, and a bullet (of a given material and weight) is a bullet. The powder is the real wild card in the formula and I prefer to defer to the people who developed the powder.

Best of luck.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I use 4.0grs of titegroup behind lead RN 124gr, economical load and also works with 175gr lead TC .40cal, makes switching calibres on my loadmaster fairly quick.

I happen to like Bullseye in my 9mms. It is a good powder, but , I am not sure that I would reload anything without first figuring out your equipment first. And for damn sure read several reloading manuals, the variances in manuals can be a real eye opener. For instance, the Lee manual says to use 4.7grns of bullseye on a 125grn LRN, I go with a slower load from my Lyman manual of 3.6 (midrange recommended)... Lee might be good to shoot, I see no real reason to push the lead bullets though.

Lots of people recommend that you not shoot lead bullets out of a polygonnal barrel, myself I would have no problem with that, but glock says not to shoot reloads or lead bullets out of their guns... your mileage might vary. I tend to think the biggest leading issue with reloads is the lube used, I use a 50/50mix of moly HP grease and beeswax (ala Glenn Fryxell)... good so far out to 1400+ in a 44mag without leading. Please read lots of information on reloading , reread what you have read again , and then again. 9mms are a ***** to learn on, I had problems with them , after reloading for years. I would suggest that when you start reloading 9mms that you get around guys who reload them, it is amazing how many things can go wrong with that little short case. As a case in point, I reloaded about 1000 reloads with 700x, the load was on the hot side but not out of bounds, the reload was a tad short, but not to short... the combination would slam the slide back so far that it locked, I should have chronoed the load, but instead ended up pulling them. 9mms can be a *****. I would suggest the Speer manual, it has a very good section on the 9mm, and why they can be such a problem. Figure out what you want to do with a bullet and reload for that purpose, ie most of the time a lighter load that just cycles the slide tends to be a more accurate round. I would suggest that you have a fair micrometer, a good powder measure and scale. I am not trying to scare you off of reloading 9mms, just telling you that things can and do go wrong, I have sure found out the hard way, but it could have been much worse. I have included a bit of reading for you, might give you some good ideas.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,

Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith

9mm reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Speer #14 is showing start load for 124g 9MM (Luger)with bullseye - 3.9 / 966fps. Max 4.4 / 1059fps. Verify data and use at your own risk.

My speer #13 only shows a 124 grain in a jacketed bullet, and a 125 in a LRN.

That is one more thing, never change lead powder charges for jacketed bullet charges.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    First: I'm not a fan of Bullseye. I know a lot of people use it but it is a vary fast powder and the charge weights from minimum to maximum on a case as small as a 9mm are very small. My favorites for 9mm are AA #2 or AA #5. If you want to use Bullseye or Unique, here's Alliant's data manual. Be aware that they list only maximum loads and you should reduce that load by 10% to get a starting load.

Second: Don't shoot lead bullets out of a polygonal barrel. Not a problem with your XD but should you some day buy a Kahr (other than the CW series),Glock, HK, etc. that uses a polygonal barrel and decide to use lead bullets, just don't say you weren't warned if it blows.

Third: I really don't want to sound overly harsh or scare you off from asking questions but based on some of your questions you really need to push the loading equipment to the back of your bench and don't touch it again until you have bought, and read thoroughly, a good reloading manual. Reloading doesn't have to be dangerous but it's no place to learn by trial and error.

Lastly: I urge you not to ask anyone, be it in person or on a bulletin board, for their "pet" loads. Take your loads only from good loading manuals or from the powder manufacturer's web site. I much prefer taking my loads from the manufacturer of the powder. For the most part, a primer is a primer, a case is a case, and a bullet (of a given material and weight) is a bullet. The powder is the real wild card in the formula and I prefer to defer to the people who developed the powder.

Best of luck.

Hoss
    This is my thinking im still very green to loading also but my brother always tells me to start with manufacturers, then find what your gun likes from there.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

get some reloading books and read up on the different loads for the 9mm. check out the powder makers web pages, they got reload data also. the problem with pet loads is my pet load for the 9mm might not be a pet load for your gun. i work up all my loads from the lower end and run them over my chronograph to see where i need to be. i also run factory loads during each chrono session to back check my loads. in other words i put some time into my reloads.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

as far as lead goes. you CAN shoot them through any gun. some are harder to clean with others. my opinion? buy Berry's plated bullets. they are fairly cheap compared to fmj (though not quite as cheap as lead obviously). for my its worth it not to deal with the hassle of leaded up barrels in any guns.
    be weary of any "formula" that doesnt include OAL. it makes a big differeance what your length is. And I certainly also suggest using a powder thats a high volume to weight ratio as previously suggested. easier to not mess up.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

One other thing, even though you are cognizant of OAL, that just gives you a guideline. The reason that I say that is, I have 3 different 125 cast LRN bullets, each with a different shape, with the biggest difference being between my home cast bullets and Miester cast bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links