need to know some good 9mm recipes!

This is a discussion on need to know some good 9mm recipes! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; just got my reloading stuff came with 125 grain round nose lead bullets and 1lb of bullseye powder. is that a good powder for 9mm?? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need to know some good 9mm recipes!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

need to know some good 9mm recipes!

just got my reloading stuff came with 125 grain round nose lead bullets and 1lb of bullseye powder. is that a good powder for 9mm?? suggestions would be awesome!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Although they don't list loads for Bullseye here is a good site for load data.

Basic Manual Download
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm showing 125 grn lead bullet Bullseye start 4.7 grains 4.9 max,1.150 min oal 1.169 max oal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Speer #14 is showing start load for 124g 9MM (Luger)with bullseye - 3.9 / 966fps. Max 4.4 / 1059fps. Verify data and use at your own risk.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Since you are first starting to reload here's a bit of caution:
    First: Do not shoot lead bullets in a polygon barrel eg. Glock H&K. These barrels tend to lead up quickly and could raise pressures significantly from all I have read.

Second: when using Bullseye or any other fast burning powder use only verified data, and measure precisely. Fast powders are less forgiving; they usually take up a very small volume in the case, and reach peek pressure quickly.

I try to stay with medium burning powders mostly, eg. Unique and WSF, but I have used Bullseye, and in 9mm I've gotten outstanding results with Red Dot. What I like about the Red Dot powder is it has a lot of volume/per weight, and a normal charge fills the case almost to the top.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I would never recommend Bullseye for a beginning handloader. The range from mild to max loads in small cases sugh as the 9mm and simply too small.

Unique is a much better choice for a beginner.

If you DO use Bullseye - follow the loads in a published loading manual exactly. Do NOT go by some load you get from an Internet forum, including this one.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

this is all good info!! what is "oal" ??? what is a preferred powder for beginners?? for 9mm..

also does an xd have a polygon barrel??
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    this is all good info!! what is "oal" ??? what is a preferred powder for beginners?? for 9mm..

also does an xd have a polygon barrel??
    "oal" stands for overall length measured from the base of the round to the tip of the bullet. I would recommend Unique powder for a first timer, good for a variety and bulky enough to prevent a double charge. As far as the xd I do not know.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

An XD does not have a polygonal barrel,I shoot 125 grain lead 4.5 grains unique out of it all the time,It's a nice practice load and fills the case to within about 3/16" from the top
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unique is a good powder, but I like Hodgon Universal Clays. Has the same burn rate as Unique except the flakes are smaller thus making it very accurate through powder measures. It is also very clean burning. I use 4.3 grains with 125 lead and 5 grains with 115 Jacketed. My gun is a S&W 3913 however I've found these loads work well in every 9mm I've owned and/or shot them in. Also these quanities fill the case enough that double charges would over flow he case.

Good Luck!!!

thanks for the info!

alittle confused thought someone said u couldnt shoot lead through a polygon barrel another people say they do it all the time... so ummmm which is it??

I shot lead through my Glocks and my HK However it is not recommended. I cleaned my barrels after every time at the range. That meant no more than 200 rounds. This was not enough to get any significant build up. I still wound up buying a Lone Wolf after market barrel for my Glock 34 because I shot it more and a standard barrel was more accurate. After market barrels have fully supported chambers and while this is not a major concern with 9mm or 45, it is definitely a concern with other calibers especially 40 S&W.

bump more opinions!!!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    thanks for the info!

alittle confused thought someone said u couldnt shoot lead through a polygon barrel another people say they do it all the time... so ummmm which is it??
    After re-reading all the posts, only one person indicated that he's fired lead bullets through polygon barrels, and also stated that manufacturers DO NOT recommend it. In fact, manufacturers do not recommend reloads; period.

I thought I gave you good advice on polygon barrels based on my research, and since you have an XD with traditional rifling the point is moot. I can only share my years of reloading experience with you, if you do not wish to follow recommendations, and one day shoot lead through a poly barrel, so be it, and do so at your own peril!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    +1 Don't start with Bullseye powder (use Unique) but if you choose to use bulleseye, then I shoot a Berry's 124 FMJ, 4.3 grains of Bullesye. 4.9 grains of bullesye seems a little high in any 9mm load.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links