.45 ACP Reloads for Glocks

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Reloads for Glocks within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Found this earlier last week when I was finalizing my research on bullets for my Glocks and handloads: HARD CAST BULLETS IN POLYGONAL BARRELS True ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 ACP Reloads for Glocks

Found this earlier last week when I was finalizing my research on bullets for my Glocks and handloads:

HARD CAST BULLETS IN POLYGONAL BARRELS

True hard cast bullets (as opposed to lead swaged bullets) that are properly lubed will not lead foul polygonal barrels any more than any other type of rifled barrel. Ever since Glock Corporation warned to not use lead bullets in their pistols with polygonal barrels, a myth that hard cast bullets will lead foul polygonal barrels has become wide spread in some parts of the firearms world. However, the myth is untrue. Hard cast bullets are not "lead" bullets. (See my article on "Dangerous Pure Lead Cowboy Bullets")

Pure lead or nearly pure lead bullets have a tendency to foul any barrel, not just polygonal barrels. Years ago, when several Glock pistols experienced cracked barrels because of fouling build up from shooting pure lead bullets, Glock issued a warning not to shoot lead bullets in their polygonal barrels. From that warning, the myth that you should not shoot hard cast bullets in polygonal barrels was born.

Provided you use real hard cast bullets with good lube, you can shoot them all you like in polygonal barrels without causing lead fouling deposits at the front of your chamber or anywhere else in the barrel. If you are concerned about lead fouling from hard cast bullets, all you have to do is to clean your barrel after firing hard cast bullets and before firing any jacketed bullets. However, in my experience, quality hard cast bullets won't foul a Glock polygonal barrel or any other type of barrel but lead bullets normally will.

2. Remove Ads

I cast and shoot a lot of 200gr SWC and yes out of my Glock 36 and gasp with the stock barrel. I only use Unique though and find around 6gr is where they work the best (900 fps). If H38 is similar to W231 than my Hornady book shows it with a 200gr LSWC at a starting 800 fps load of 5.2 gr and a max 950 fps load of 6.5 gr. Don't know if that helps or not. BTW if you have a clue (not directed at you OldVet just a general statement) on how lead bullets are sized and loaded to fit the gun and how to recognize the signs of leading and being able to properly clean your barrel than lead is not an issue even with the poly barrel in the glock. If you don't have a clue than I suggest you stick to jacketed.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

BTW if you have a clue (not directed at you OldVet just a general statement) on how lead bullets are sized and loaded to fit the gun and how to recognize the signs of leading and being able to properly clean your barrel than lead is not an issue even with the poly barrel in the glock. If you don't have a clue than I suggest you stick to jacketed.[/QUOTE]

Question for you on that part-- the hard cast lead that I'm finding in my local dealer is all .452, but the XTP's are .451. Make a difference for leading that you know of?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you'll look closely at the thread, you'll note that it was originally dated 2009, when I first bought a Glock before hearing of the Glock/lead controversy. I've reloaded mulitple calibers and gauges and many, many rounds since '75, with lead bullets limited to .38 wadcutters. I know about leading, but at the time (assuming there may be others with "Glock" experience) no experience with reloading for a Glock and sought specific advice. Since then I've fired a lot of lead through my G30 (I don't count rounds, maybe someone should invent a "roundometer" for those of us who don't) with virtually no leading in either the OEM or Storm Lake aftermarket barrel, which has the same rifling as Glock.

For your interest, lead bullets are commonly sized .001 larger, sometimes more, than jackets so they can better form to the rifling and seal. Can't think of the word for that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For your interest, lead bullets are commonly sized .001 larger, sometimes more, than jackets so they can better form to the rifling and seal. Can't think of the word for that.[/QUOTE]

I've read about that. The correct term is largerleadforriflesealing. Think it's German. I digress. So, you recommend getting an after market barrel, correct?

Didn't look at the thread date but the discussion I suppose is still good to have. Lead bullets will tend to run .001 over jacketed. That is not always a definite rule though and some barrels will need to slugged to see what size bullet you may need to shoot to fit the barrel. There is basically a whole different learning curve when working with lead bullets and especially when you get into older types of firearms where barrels and chambers always didn't fall into the specs were used to seeing today. Sometimes only a custom cut bullet mould would be the only answer in some guns. Have a 38-55 lever gun that I spent months of playing with differnet bullets and seating lengths of those bullets and this was after doing a bore slug and chamber cast and it was still a bear to get to shoot decent and a custom bullet mould is in its future.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    For your interest, lead bullets are commonly sized .001 larger, sometimes more, than jackets so they can better form to the rifling and seal. Can't think of the word for that.
    I've read about that. The correct term is largerleadforriflesealing. Think it's German. I digress. So, you recommend getting an after market barrel, correct?[/QUOTE]

Well... Not exactly.

The SL tended to have battery issues, even though the reloads passed the "clunk" test in it. It has "slightly" more chamber support, for those who feel that's important, but the Glock barrel works fine, no evidence of any signicant leading in it after 100s of LRNs, so my great words of wisdom are: If it makes you feel more comfortable with an aftermarket barrel, invest in one. I don't think the G30 needs it with "range" loads. Other high pressure calibers, such as the .40 S&W, may be another story altogether.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have shot several thousand 200 Gr LSWC's in my G-21 with factory barrel in competetion. I still have several K that are not loaded up yet. Never had an issue with them. They are all hard cast and I got them RO'ing in the 1990's. I now shoot a G-35 with an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber in competetion.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    I wish I could have got 200 SWC to work in my G30, but it just didn't like them. LRNs work fine. Never could figure out why.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wish I could have got 200 SWC to work in my G30, but it just didn't like them. LRNs work fine. Never could figure out why.
    Your G30 should eat up 200gr SWC. My G21sf does. Have you played with OAL much. Too short and the brass catches, too long and it won't chamber. But you probably have tried all that.

I shoot almost entirely reloads out of my G30 (stock barrel). These are probably 50-50 LSWC/LRN (200 gr) and JHP/FMJ (200 and 230 gr), and I haven't had any leading issues with non-jacketed bullets (or course YRMV). I presently use a lot of 231 (HP38) for these loads. The biggest issue I've found with my G30 is that is functions very poorly with start/light loads and lead bullets (strangely enough I can load in the bottom half of the range with jacketed bullets without problem). I have to stay in the upper half of the load range to ensure reliable function, for 230 lead that has been around 5.4 and 200 a couple of tenths above that. OALs are at 1.25 or so.

Your pistol may not be as picky as mine, but I thought I would offer my 2 cents. good luck!

Good grief, I should have read the original post date!!!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Good grief, I should have read the original post date!!!

Sometimes old is still good!

I played around with the OAL and got some improvement but no firm cure for the SWCs. I heard others having the same issues with SWCs. I might give it another try down the road.

"The biggest issue I've found with my G30 is that is functions very poorly with start/light loads and lead bullets (strangely enough I can load in the bottom half of the range with jacketed bullets without problem). "

Likely that the lower friction of the lead bullet does not allow for sufficient pressure to built at the same low powder load as the jacketed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links