.45 ACP Reloads for Glocks

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Reloads for Glocks within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Don't even start with the "it'll blow up" stuff. This thread is for anyone who owns, reloads, and shoots a Glock in 45ACP. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Reloads for Glocks

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

.45 ACP Reloads for Glocks

Don't even start with the "it'll blow up" stuff.

This thread is for anyone who owns, reloads, and shoots a Glock in 45ACP.

I am getting an aftermarket barrel for lead bullets. I'm looking for a mild load in 200 grn SWC for range work. I have H38 powder on hand and have loaded a few rounds with 5.3 grns for preliminary testing. Some 185 HP Noslers worked fine with this powder (5.1 grns). I don't want much more power than what it takes to reliably cycle the rounds. I have reloading books but much of the data in them is developed using a specific gun (Colt 1911 with 6 in barrel) or a test barrel.

Any good suggestions? I've reloaded other cartridges for years (pistol, rifle, shotgun), so I'm not new to this. I hope someone with "Glock" experience can pass on some ideas as to "pet" loads that work well for their Glocks.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 17th, 2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    don't you have a reload book?

All I know about loading lead is I can't use bullseye.

All I knew was Glock voids warranty if reloads are shot I didn't know you needed an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Yes, several books, but books by Speer, Hornady, etc. only list loads for their bullets.
    Most makers advise against reloads (small print) but the poly rifling in Glocks (and others) doesn't work well with lead, which prefers standard lands and grooves. Since the factory warranty is only one year, that won't be an issue as far as that goes.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, several books, but books by Speer, Hornady, etc. only list loads for their bullets.
    Most makers advise against reloads (small print) but the poly rifling in Glocks (and others) doesn't work well with lead, which prefers standard lands and grooves. Since the factory warranty is only one year, that won't be an issue as far as that goes.
    I see. I learned something new. Check out LEE precision. I know they have presses, books, DIY bullet molds and such. Might also be a resource since they don't make bullets.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I load a 200 grn lead round nose bullet with 5 grains of unique and it shoots around 850 fps out of a 1911 5" bbl
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is what Hodgdon says for 45 acp with hp 38 powder. Just about every powder manufacturer has load data on their website for general classes of bullets, not manufacturer specific.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

155 GR. CAST LSWC Hodgdon HP-38 .451" 1.230" 6.0 998 13,400 CUP 6.7 1112 17,100 CUP
    180 GR. LFP Hodgdon HP-38 .452" 1.140" 5.0 778 11,300 CUP 6.0 950 16,800 CUP
    185 GR. HDY JSWC Hodgdon HP-38 .451" 1.195" 5.0 762 12,000 CUP 5.9 906 15,800 CUP
    200 GR. CAST LSWC Hodgdon HP-38 .451" 1.225" 4.4 771 11,000 CUP 5.6 914 16,900 CUP
    200 GR. SPR JHP Hodgdon HP-38 .451" 1.155" 5.2 794 12,700 CUP 5.9 906 16,700 CUP
    230 GR. HDY FMJ FP Hodgdon HP-38 .451" 1.200" 4.2 751 13,800 CUP 5.3 832 16,800 CUP
    230 GR. LRN Hodgdon HP-38 .452" 1.200" 4.3 699 12,200 CUP 5.3 834 16,900 CUP

NEVER EXCEED MAXIMUM LOADS
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I see. I learned something new. Check out LEE precision. I know they have presses, books, DIY bullet molds and such. Might also be a resource since they don't make bullets.
    Also, a lot of the data for powder "X" is developed using a particular gun (Colt 1911 5.5 in barrel) or "6 in test barrel." I'm hoping to find loads that others have found to work well in Glocks, the G30 specifically.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I'm not going to preach about reloads in Glocks, I reload for all my own Glocks even 45, but, I'm not very sure a replacement barrel will feed semi-wadcutters. Regular Glock barrels won't.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Your probably going to find limited data for a specific Glock pistol, with a specific aftermarket barrel, with a specific type of bullet with a specific type of powder. After all, if you have been reloading for long you already know that it is a trial and error type of thing to get to loads that you like or that your gun likes.

Loads you like might not be liked by others depending on personal preferences.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Speer list load data for 45 Auto 200g LSWC. I am not familar with H38 powder.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Speer list load data for 45 Auto 200g LSWC. I am not familar with H38 powder.
    Same as WW 231.

i got some good reloads for the glock 30 and 36. but that is with the 230 bullet. sometime next month i am going to work up some loads with the 200 gr bullet. i do not load hot, these are range loads, no reason to beat yourself up at the range. i run all my loads through my chronograph to make sure they will do the job. i also use after market barrels in all my glocks. i use aa#5 and titegroup for the powder. i would look in several load data books and on the powder internet sites to get a starting point. then work up from there. get a chronograph, best thing to reloaders and they are now cheap. they were not cheap when i got my in 1986.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

^Yep,

Chronos are 100 bucks or less now. I only went about a month after starting to reload before I decided it was in my best interest to get a chrono.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I'm not going to preach about reloads in Glocks, I reload for all my own Glocks even 45, but, I'm not very sure a replacement barrel will feed semi-wadcutters. Regular Glock barrels won't.
    I have not found a bullet type my G21sf won't feed just fine with the stock barrel. 200 gr SWC Zero lead is one of my most accurate loads. 5.4 HP38/Win231 OAL 1.255 Excellent accuracy.

If you are going to change the barrel out, I recommend the KKM barrel. I put one in my G17 with outstanding feeding and accuracy.

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm going to be firing my first handloads this weekend, and I used Bullseye and HP38. I was a bit miffed that I had to buy some Hornady XTP, as the lead was 1/3 the price. But, as you say, each reload book I've read has said to not shoot lead through the Glock barrel. I've read that it has something to do with poly rifling as well as something to do with housing the round a bit looser (assures more reliable feeding?). Again, all things I've read here and there. Almost makes me wonder if it's a bunch of BS that the ammo manufacturers are making up knowing that Glock is probably the second favorite pistol behind 1911 variants in the US. Too late to take on the 1911's, so take on the up and comer.
    I'm probably going to bit the bullet and hit up Lone Wolf for an aftermarket barrel, or just give up lead altogether and only go jacketed. Unless, you can find something and report back on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links