Reloading Powder?

This is a discussion on Reloading Powder? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Here's a link to Hogdon's latest burn chart. Burn Rate I've tried aa2, aa5, and 231/hp38 in 45acp so far. The aa powders both burned ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading Powder?

Here's a link to Hogdon's latest burn chart.

Burn Rate

I've tried aa2, aa5, and 231/hp38 in 45acp so far. The aa powders both burned very clean, while 231 actually had unburned powder coming out the end of the barrel, even at the mousefart loads.

BTW, Hogdons reloading center indicates 231 can be loaded at 4.2 to 5.3. If I continue to use it, I'll go middle of the road.

I'm anxious to try WSF and WST though. WST comes highly recommended for 45 too, while WSF more for 9mm and .40 cal.

Buy yourself 2 or 3 reloading manuals and compare all the loads including the bullet and powder mfg recommendations too. Then use an average safe base line and work on slowly from there.

Good luck and be safe!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

2. Remove Ads

Majorlk, I muddled my grammar.

I currently primarily use the Dillon standard sliding bar measure. I also have a Frankfort Arsenal measure which is a rotating cylinder type. Past tense I've had a Lyman 55 and an old Bending & Mull measure that were stolen.

I use a Dillon AND a rotating cylinder type. Usually I'm more precise.

Now you mention it, I had more problems with the Lee sliding measure 'leaking' ball powder than flake powders. It's about the only Lee product I don't like.

Good eye on the sentence structure and confusion.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

ntg
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    WST is virtually interchangeable with Bullseye and is considerably faster than Unique.
    Are WST and Bullseys that close? They're #19 and #9 on the Hodgdon chart. I don't have a reload book at my side right now to compare load data.

I'd still like to hear some experience with WSF in the 9mm if anyone has some to share.

Currently I use Bullseye for .45 and 9mm. There is a load for 147grn 9mm with bullseye don't recall it off hand but i believe i load mine @ 3.5 grains of BE. Going to switch from AA #7 for .44 mag and .357 mag to bullseye as well to keep my powder count down. Also about to start .380 with bullseye hopefully getting some test rounds made and fired this weekend. So for me BE is the powder of choice. Been using it for .45 230grain for over 3 years now with no problems

ntg
    Thanks! I'm a chevy guy too...hard to beat a chevy!

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Majorlk, I muddled my grammar.

I currently primarily use the Dillon standard sliding bar measure. I also have a Frankfort Arsenal measure which is a rotating cylinder type. Past tense I've had a Lyman 55 and an old Bending & Mull measure that were stolen.

I use a Dillon AND a rotating cylinder type. Usually I'm more precise.
    I kinda thought that was the case. I'm glad to see other people besides myself do it.

Now you mention it, I had more problems with the Lee sliding measure 'leaking' ball powder than flake powders. It's about the only Lee product I don't like.
    I have four Lee AutoDisk measures on four Dillon toolheads and haven't had any particular problem. One needs to make sure the screws holding the hopper to the frame are tight. I only use the Dillon measure on .223 and .308 - and that's because of the charge size.

Good eye on the sentence structure and confusion.
    My pleasure and Merry Christmas!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Are WST and Bullseys that close? They're #19 and #9 on the Hodgdon chart. I don't have a reload book at my side right now to compare load data.
    Not on MY Hodgdon chart they aren't. As I posted previously B'eye is 9 and WST is 10.

My chart says Vihtavouri N320 is number 19.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Major,

You really ought to take a look at Hogdons website and check out the new burn rate chart. I'm not sure how often they are updated or how often they change. I assume everytime someone comes out with a new powder, a chart comes out too.

Mike
    DPMS AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Major,

You really ought to take a look at Hogdons website and check out the new burn rate chart. I'm not sure how often they are updated or how often they change. I assume everytime someone comes out with a new powder, a chart comes out too.
    Mike
    I have just found three different bur rate charts from Hodgdon and all three are slightly different. :(

Two of the three agree with you, so I guess I'm wrong.

I don't have a manual with WST in it (don't load with it so it never mattered) so I can't, offhand, compare actual loading data between B'eye and WST.

Thanks for the head's up. Actually, I never use the burning rate chart except for discussions such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Thanks! I'm a chevy guy too...hard to beat a chevy!
    I agree! bow-tie or gmc for me! I'm on my 3rd one still have my '73 c10. think my next one will be a diesel though

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Actually, I never use the burning rate chart except for discussions such as this.

Agreed! The loading manuals pretty much tell it all!

Mike
    DPMS AR-15

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links