Weight / Volume question on powder

This is a discussion on Weight / Volume question on powder within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hello Fellow Reloaders: I basically load only target loads in 38, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Most reloaders prefer faster burning powders for this ...

Thread: Weight / Volume question on powder

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Hello Fellow Reloaders:

I basically load only target loads in 38, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Most reloaders prefer faster burning powders for this purpose.

My question is which powder do you use for target loads, that actually fill a case pretty good ( have a larger volume).
    So far, I have found Red Dot fills my 9mm cases almost to compressed levels, but, Red Dot gives a very small margin of error. Any one using something that meters well, fills a case well, and is particularly good for target loads?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I'm a huge fan of Unique for general purpose handloading for handguns. Others point out that they have some problems with metering when using Unique but I've not found it so. Unique is slower than Red Dot. Could fill cases to suit you. It is very good for safely building both mild and wild performance handloads in both 9mm and .45 ACP and offers a lot of versatility in .38 Special.

I'm not a fan of trying to make a powder perform a "one size fits all" routine. I enjoy keeping a number of different powders on hand but since 1976 have found that I reach for Unique most often.

I worry more about finding powders that group and chrono the way I like. Have never been to concerned about how they fill the case.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I use unique for all my handgun loads,you will never double charge a case without it running over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

80% plus filled case capacity is good for rifle cases for long range accuracy but has no direct connection to hand gun at practical combat distance. To provide a visible against double charges any of the medium Burn rates should work, AA#5, WW Power Pistol, Unique etc. This grouping will most often give very good accuracy and velocity with the calibers you have mentioned especially AA#5 in the .40 S&W and .45 ACP.
    As already mentioned the Unique is probably the time proven "go to" if you just want to get on with it. Works well with a wide bullet range and I never found a primer brand that was erratic with this powder.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I currently use 231 for about everything. However, your specification regarding "... filling the case..." poses a problem.

I've never used it, but I understand 'Trail Boss' is a powder designed for cowboy shooters to load .45 Colt and .44 Special and such (large cases) to full capacity while giving mild pressures and velocity. You might investigate that.

Just a thought.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Links