Moly Coating

This is a discussion on Moly Coating within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Its been a while since I have been on here. Had discussion the other day about moly coating plated bullets for 9mm luger. Is there ...

Thread: Moly Coating

Moly Coating

Its been a while since I have been on here. Had discussion the other day about moly coating plated bullets for 9mm luger. Is there any real benefit or just another step when reloading?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Not on a handgun.

You wont notice an appreciable difference and the additional effort just isnt worth it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Technically, all Moly-coating does is reduce leading somewhat. It all depends upon the load's velocity.

I have bought pre-coated bullets in the past and haven't notice any particular performance difference. One other benefit though; there's no additional lube in the grease grooves to get on one's hands - it makes them cleaner to handle.

I'd never go to the effort to Moly-coat any bullets than didn't come that was from the caster.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

as they said. moly for jacketed pistol is useless....

moly wax prelubed lead is "ok" but you wont see much help from it

it ment to stop copper fouling in rifles

thanks for your input.

Moly coated bullets see the most benefit out of centerfire rifles with medium to high velocity and the possible extended barrel life and maintenance. Gains in velocity will coincide with bullet design and barrel length, and result in a small change in the ballistic coefficient overall.

And if you ever end up in court, you are going to spend an extra $10k in legal fees trying to debunk the overzealous DA that you make and carry "Cop Killer" bullets (specially coated to penetrate bullet proof vests).

I know they're not, you know they're not, the rest of know they're not. The Jury however is going to believe the media and an official of the government before you.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    And if you ever end up in court, you are going to spend an extra $10k in legal fees trying to debunk the overzealous DA that you make and carry "Cop Killer" bullets (specially coated to penetrate bullet proof vests).

I know they're not, you know they're not, the rest of know they're not. The Jury however is going to believe the media and an official of the government before you.
    Please provide ONE documented case of this ever happening.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Please provide ONE documented case of this ever happening.
    better safe then sorry

If they where to deem moly coated 9mm bullets as cop killers like they deemed winchester's black talon so then I think sticks has a point.

like the five seven pistol... its deemed the "cop killer" cause with the right ammunition (not available in a store near you) it can penetrate light duty bullet proof vests.

In a Massad Ayoob article i read in Guns & Ammo Handguns this month, there was a case of a man's wife trying to kill herself, and he walked in on it and tried to take the gun, and it went off, killing her. The problem was that he couldn't prove it because he reloaded his own rounds that were in the gun, and used a very light load, so enough gunpowder residue didnt get on his wife, proving the gun was roughly 15 inches away from her head. He's still in prison for murder, because the court wouldn't accept his load data. Not really related to coating, but there are plenty of cases of reloaders getting screwed in court because they cant prove their load.

Quote Originally Posted by LordHamlett View Post
    In a Massad Ayoob article i read in Guns & Ammo Handguns this month, there was a case of a man's wife trying to kill herself, and he walked in on it and tried to take the gun, and it went off, killing her. The problem was that he couldn't prove it because he reloaded his own rounds that were in the gun, and used a very light load, so enough gunpowder residue didnt get on his wife, proving the gun was roughly 15 inches away from her head. He's still in prison for murder, because the court wouldn't accept his load data.
    I have a hard time buying that story. Unless his attorney was totally incompetent, it would have taken any decent forensics lab about 30 minutes, tops, to verify his assertion.

I have enjoyed reading Ayoob over the years, but I don't take everything he has written as coming down from the Throne On High.

Not really related to coating, but there are plenty of cases of reloaders getting screwed in court because they cant prove their load.
    Well, this is the first one I have ever heard of. Do you have more to back up your statement?

It wouldn't be the first time somebody killed somebody and then claimed they committed suicide
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links