C.O.L??

This is a discussion on C.O.L?? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; can someone tell me what that means?? thanks...

Thread: C.O.L??

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Question C.O.L??

can someone tell me what that means??

thanks
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

2. Remove Ads

It would help if you explained in what context the initials were used. Commercial Operating License - Confused. Obnoxious. Lazy (explains a lot of sheep?)
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

sgb
    Without placing it into a context I can only guess.......... Cartridge Overall Length.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Without placing it into a context I can only guess.......... Cartridge Overall Length.
    i think that is correct! it is in my speer reloading manual! "C.O.L tested at 1.130" " i was thinking that is what it meant but i was not 100% sure..
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Senior Moderator
    SGB has it correct.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

that is the max length of the round. in other words you do not want the round to be longer than what the col is. also there sould be a lower number.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

that is the only number listed...

There should be a minimum length for the bullet grain/powder charge,some rounds if you set too deep can compress the powder charge resulting in higher pressures.If you set them right around there should be ok.If you state what caliber and bullet weight we can give more accurate info
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

COL is cartrige overall length, measured from the base to the tip of bullet. This is the length that was used when testing the various loads done by various mfg's in their respective loading manuals. Do NOT go shorter than this length or the cup pressure is going to go up in a hurry!

You might see a tiny bit shorter depending on your press, but .001-.003 shouldn't hurt a thing. Especially if you're not at max load.

A little longer will decrease pressure, but may not chamber correctly. You'll just have to check and see for your gun.

Good luck and be safe!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

9mm 125 grain lead roundnose with 3.5 grains of bullseye powder

1.130 inches C.O.L. for 9mm 125 grain lead roundnose with 3.5 grains of bullseye powder, according to my handbook, should give you about 930fps.
    Speer Reloading Manual 12th edition.

bosco

Links