Primers

This is a discussion on Primers within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a good supply of small pistol magnum primers, but the .40 S&W, 38 Special, and the 9mm require small pistol regular primers. Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primers

Primers

I have a good supply of small pistol magnum primers, but the .40 S&W, 38 Special, and the 9mm require small pistol regular primers. Is there any significant problem with using the magnum primers in these three calibers?
    Thanks for the advice.
    "We have a decision to make; Either get busy living or get busy dying."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The magnum primers are designed to burn a lot of slow burning powder fast it may cause too much pressure if you use them in non magnum calibers using faster burning powder.

Just back off a couple of 10ths of a grain on the powder and try a couple. Look for excessive pressure signs and procede as indicated.

IMHO there is more difference in primer brands than there is between the standard and regular primers of the same manufacturer.

Magnum primers are different from regular primers... This WILL cause the pressures to be different and possibly dangerous if you do not use the correct powders.

I would NOT advise using magnum primers in a non magnum application. Reloading can get you hurt. If you brave modifying formulas do so at your own risk.

Ape
    The general rule of thumb is to back off your powder charge by 10% with magnum primers. Then you can test that load to see if it can come up or down to give you an accurate load setting.

With the availability of loading supply's it's not uncommon for someone to buy magnum primers and use them in place of standard primers these days. But to be honest it's been done by reloaders for a long time now and the 10% rule works just fine.
    Load at your own risk as always of course. ;)

Senior Moderator
    If you are a newbie at reloading I would not reccomend using magnum primers.

If you have done it for a while, then proceed with caution.

I would start with an 80 percent charge just to be safe. If that works, you have a good margin for error.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ape
    Just remember if you go back too far you'll have to watch out for squibs if the charge is too weak.

i am now using mag primers in my 40 reloads. i ran the standard and the mag primers loads through my chronograph. i used the same load for both. the mag primers gave me about 55 fps more in the 40 cal. now i don't load my range ammo hot so that is why i dropped the same load for both primers. i am going to work up some for the 38sp, 9mm and 45 next.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

At this point, you use what you can get. I ended up with some mag primers (all that I could find) so I started from scratch, loaded 10 rounds of 3 different powder weights based on the "reduced load" and went to test fire them. Found a good match and stuck with it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I load my range ammo on the light side and have never had any problems using magnum primers in any of my loads
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

One of the few things I have never tried over the years is substituting small rifle primers for small pistol, except for an emergency batch of .357 mag.

Is there any difference, other than primer cup hardness? I didn't have a problem with the .357, but I was shooting them in a S&W M28.

I am curious about using them in a semi-auto.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i use large primers (45acp). post obama i bought what i could find. 2k of cci mag primers, winchester primers and mag tec.

winchester advertises as reg/mag. i have used all three with my reloads. they all make it go bang. if you are concerned, don't use max loads.

The rifle primers are MUCH harder and probably somewhat more powerful. You might be far better off to not do that !

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    The rifle primers are MUCH harder and probably somewhat more powerful. You might be far better off to not do that !
    But you don't know that for a fact? I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking for something more than an educated guess. I make enough of those myself.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    But you don't know that for a fact? I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking for something more than an educated guess. I make enough of those myself.
    Yes rifle primers are more powerful and do have a thicker skin on the outside. Some pistols will not have enough oomf to even set off a rifle primer though, making reliability a factor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links