New Press Needed?

New Press Needed?

This is a discussion on New Press Needed? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have never reloaded before, but I'm in the process of getting set up for it. I received a new bench for Christmas, built with ...

Thread: New Press Needed?

New Press Needed?

I have never reloaded before, but I'm in the process of getting set up for it. I received a new bench for Christmas, built with the Cabela's kit, and was given an old Lyman press. The only markings on it are the letters "S-T" on the side, and it has six holes for dies. It is quite old, but appears to be clean and in working order.

Can I use this to get started in reloading, or should I look at getting a whole new setup? All I have is the press, and would obviously need dies and everything else that goes along with it. Should I try to use this press, or just start from scratch?
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

Senior Moderator
    I'd use it, its a great press and its faster than a single stage press.

Not a thing wrong with it. I have the Dillon 550b, an RCBS, and a Lyman turret which is the same one you have. They all have their uses.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    From your description it sounds like you may have the predecessor of Lyman’s T-Mag press. Since it is almost impossible to wear out a press I would use it and just pick up the dies and other accessories needed.

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks for the help. I was looking at getting an all new setup with the Hornady progressive, but it seems what I've got may be a good place to start. I'll be getting with a nearby guru of reloading after the first to see if he can help me get up and running with this Lyman.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

I would defenitely use the current press before I went out and bought a new one. This will give you the chance to get familiar with reloading before dropping a lot of coin on something you may or may not need or use. Good luck and have fun with it!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Use it. There's probably no reason you can't use it as a single stage for a bit to get used to the operations and things that might go wrong. When you're ready to speed things up a bit, switch to the turret capability

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'd use it, its a great press and its faster than a single stage press.

Not a thing wrong with it. I have the Dillon 550b, an RCBS, and a Lyman turret which is the same one you have. They all have their uses.
    You sound like me.

I have a 550 (pre B version), an RockChucker and a late 60's Lyman Spar-T turret (it doesn't have a handle on the turret - you just grab the dies and rotate). That's probably what the OP has. I use it as a seating/crimp press for those calibers I don't run through the Dillon. It's still a great beginner's press, much better than any of the Lee presses.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Here are a couple of iPhone camera shots of the press (and my new bench!):

Nice bench and the only difference between your press and mine is the color of the frame. Mine is gray.

I have no idea how many thousand rounds I have loaded on that press. It's a great little press. It's only shortcoming is the lack of leverage to handle rifle cartridges in the sizing process. For pistol rounds it is great. Be sure to use carbide sizing dies - it makes thing much easier, not to mention not having to mess with case lube.

Congratulations of getting a nice little press.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links