Finally tried casting

This is a discussion on Finally tried casting within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; thanks. i knew there was a site i was forgetting. looked @ that way back in the day but forgot about it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally tried casting

thanks. i knew there was a site i was forgetting. looked @ that way back in the day but forgot about it

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Chevyguy,

I just started this past weekend and I'm amazed as how easy it is and the quality of bullet you can produce. Lots of fun as well.

I saw some videos on you tube of how to make your own lube and how to mode it in your newly cast bullets. I think I'm going to try that next!
    [One Nation Under God]

yeah i just got the resizing stuff and lube in monday so after i make a few thousand bullets i'll sit down and resize and lube them. i need to get on that after today's reload i'll be all out of .357 and 9mm bullets so once those 750 and 800 ish bullets are shot i'm out :( then again i have plenty of .45 to keep me busy for a little while but the others won't last me long at all specially since i plan on doing both IDPA and IPSC matches each month

Yea bullet casters! Isn't it great to avoid being held up for high priced bullets?

I'm a lazy bullet caster and don't take a lot of care to try to cast hard bullets. Straight wheel weights has worked fine for general purpose practice and plinking. Who would have expected that current thinking has gotten away from the use of hard cast bullets for lower velocity applications? I was on the cutting edge of handgun bullet making all along...hah, the cutting edge of laziness.

Casting like any other hobby sometimes can get expensive. Buying moulds is like buying 1911's (one is never enough). Lubersizer dies and top punches add up. Casting pots, ladels etc etc. This is a pic of some of my moulds. Everything from $18 Lee to $200 customs and Lyman, RCBS, and Saeco production moulds in between. Some of my others are out on loan to some of my shooting buddies. Great thing is they pay for themselves in short order.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

casting is a good way to save some money, that is after you get the equipment paid off. i have been using the same equipment for over 25 years.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I am thinking of casting and have been searching the forums for information.
    I am thinking about the Lee 20# pot and moulds. Will a 10# pot work. Being retired, trying to keep my costs down.
    I haven't explored the cost of wheel weights yet. I would think that most of the tire shops recycle or sell to recyler's, If I can not get free, what kind of a average price should be paid for these? Also, out of a 100# of castings, how much is usable lead. I would guess there is wire and other items to throw out, Next question, how many 155 gr bullets can be casted per pound or 100#s ow WC?
    Using 7000 gr a pound I am guessing about 45 bullets. I may have answered my own question.
    Thanks in advance for any information a new caster should have.

Senior Moderator
    The 10 pounder will work. I used one for years until I started getting the Lee 6 cavity molds. I got a Hoch 850 grain .50 BMH mold and I went up to the 20 pounder just to save time so now I have both.

I still get my wheel weights for free.

You'll need to invest in a lubrisizer to lube and size your bullets...it makes them a lot more accurate.Then you'll have to get a top punch and a sizing die for each bullet style or caliber.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

pretty much what hot guns said. I chose the 20# because i know i'll be casting and shooting a lot. Still haven't actually shot my own casts yet but seeing as how i'm now out of 357 bullets from my bullet guy hopefully in the next week i'll at least test my casts out. hopefully they work! then its on to 9mm next. As far as how many pounds of usable lead you get from a bucket of wheel weights I couldn't tell you. I know I had about 5 buckets of lead/trash in the back of my truck and it came out to around 180#s of ingots, but don't quote me on that

I'm just about ready to order the following. I plan on casting for my
    XD-40. Do not know what type of bullets to cast yet. Any Advice?
    Ordering:
    Either a 10# or 20# Lee ProIV
    Lee six cavity mold for 40
    Lee mold handle
    Lee ingot mold (do I need this)
    Browell flex (is there something else that will work?)
    Lee Ladel ( do I need this)
    Lee lube & Size kit

If there is anything else I might need or don't, please let me know.

Thanks

In my opinion buy the #20 bottom pour pot, it is worth the extra money. get a deep cookie sheet to put it in, as if your lead pot ever decides to leak, there is a place for the lead to go instead of the floor, I have my pot on a 1" piece of wood to bring up to height for convenience. Leement all of your molds, as explained on castboolits site. And join us at castboolits, lots of great information and good people who shoot cast.

Leementing Documentation w/Photos - Cast Boolits

Any questions that you have about casting give me a shout. BTW a good cast bullet can be pushed out to about 1400 fps without any perceptable leading using a moly/beeswax lube... homemade to save cost. Water quenching that same bullet should take that bullet up to a higher velocity. If anyone doubt the veracity of the 1400 fps , look up keiths number on his cast bullets for .357 and his remarks on having to clean his barrels etc, and he was using a less effective lube.

Casting is an excellent money saver and is fun to boot.

Get the 20# pot. It saves time when marathon casting. Every time you have to stop and add lead you are basically starting over. So the more lead the more you can cast per session.

My personal opinion on flux is don't waste your money on some fancy powder stuff. Good old paraffin wax works as good as anything and one box for around a buck will last a long time.

Get the ingot mold. Very handy when you want to empty your pot to switch to a different alloy of lead or when you just want to clean it up.

If your only going to bottom pour your bullets than you really don't need a ladle. Where you need one is when you are casting heavy bullets, usually in the 500gr and up range. Ladle pouring heavy bullets tend to produce the best most consistent slugs.

Another thing that's a must have is a good lead thermometer. A word of advice on these. Don't leave it in the pot. Take your reading and take it out. Their not designed for constant immersion.

You'll need a good hardwood dowel of some sort to tap your mold to release the bullets. Actually never tap the mold but the hinge pin of the handles. Any piece of hammer handle or similar works for this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    Casting is an excellent money saver and is fun to boot.

That is a beautiful picture.

Gotta love them cast bullets.

On my way to the garage to cast some 550gr micro mini groove elipitical bullets for the Sharps this morning.
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links