Dad and i finally tried our hands @ casting these past few days. We get the wheel weights for free so we figured we might as well try it and save some money. Made upwards of 160 lbs of ingots in 2 days. Ran out of dry weights as i leave them in the back of my old '73 and spray them a few times with simple green to get a lot of the crap off them. I think doing this cut down on our smoke and lead poping and spraying during melt down.
We've heard lots of bad stories about casting and i've read quite a few as well, so either we did something horribly wrong and somehow turned out right or we did pretty darn good for our first time. had no real problems the pot worked like a charm. tried casting some 158 gr SWC bullets @ the end today and ended up with what i believe are 258 usable bullets. 6 lbs down 150+ to go not including the 200 some lbs in the back of my '73 still.
Over all very fun experience and the equipment will be paid off in no time. I reload to "save" money yet i always seem to be broke because i spend what little i have to reload more....go figure