Is there a Hornady Manual in the house ??

This is a discussion on Is there a Hornady Manual in the house ?? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am looking to reload a few hundred Hornady XTP's in 9mm and .40S&W. Using AA#5 powder.. 9mm 124gr Hornady XTP.. 6grains=about 1000fps .400 155gr ...

Thread: Is there a Hornady Manual in the house ??

Is there a Hornady Manual in the house ??

I am looking to reload a few hundred Hornady XTP's in 9mm and .40S&W.
    Using AA#5 powder..

9mm 124gr Hornady XTP.. 6grains=about 1000fps
    .400 155gr Hornady XTP.. 8grains=about 1000fps

My other books show the above loads for Speer GDHP and other bullets with the same weight and design..

Would save me from buying another manual..

Thanks
    bosco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hornady Handbook -- Seventh Edition

AA#5 powder not listed for 9mm.

OTOH, 6.9 gr of AA#7 is listed for 1000fps. Any other powder you could use?

Also, 155gr Hornady XTP not listed. 147 heaviest listed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks DaveH,

I can use Unique or Bullseye, but I wanted to give the AA5 a try.. I like it in .45ACP, other 9mm and .40loads and thought it might work great in the 9 and 40with the XTP's...

I'll do a little more research and maybe give Hornady a call...

Thanks for the look see..

bosco

VIP Member
    9mm 124gr Hornady XTP

Unique 4.5 gr. = 1000 fps; 4.7 gr = 1050 fps

Bullseye not listed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The manufacturer of the bullet is virtually irrelevant. The only things relevant to the bullet are composition (jacketed, lead or plated) and weight. Use data for any jacketed bullet of the correct weight and start at the beginning load (as you always should) and you'll be fine. Slight variations in length of ogive or bearing surface will have little effect at pistol velocities.

Accurate Data
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I'm going to go ahead and use the data from my Speer manual.

It lists loads in both calibers for Gold Dot HP's in the weights the XTP's are. It lists loads for AA#5.

I'll check the bullet lengths of the GDHP vs XTP and set the OAL's accordingly.

As always I will start low and build up if needed.

Thanks

Now to dig out the chrono and wait for some decent outdoor weather...Maybe April... LOL

bosco

[QUOTE=boscobeans;1434668]I am looking to reload a few hundred Hornady XTP's in 9mm and .40S&W.
    Using AA#5 powder..

Check Accurate's website, they did have (if my old mind is remembering) a warning not to use AA #5 in any 40 caliber.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

[QUOTE=Stevew;1435239]
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I am looking to reload a few hundred Hornady XTP's in 9mm and .40S&W.
    Using AA#5 powder..

Check Accurate's website, they did have (if my old mind is remembering) a warning not to use AA #5 in any 40 caliber.
    That's not totally accurate (no pun intended!). It refers to using AA5 in barrels that do not fully support the case head.

"WARNING!!!

In recent years it has become very apparent that there exists a situation regarding some pistols chambered for the 40 S&W cartridge. Some of the pistols currently available to shooters may not provide complete support to the case when a cartridge is chambered.

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) has established a maximum average pressure for the 40 S&W of 35,000 psi. The loading data published by Accurate Arms was developed in our ballistic laboratory in accordance with SAAMI test methods and equipment and does not exceed this figure. This information is safe for use in firearms which provide complete support of the case. Failure to fully support the case with cartridges of such intensity may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, separated case heads or other consequences which may result in damage to the firearm and/or injury or death to the shooter and/or bystanders. This can happen no matter whose propellant is used.

If you own a firearm chambered for the 40 S&W, we recommend you contact the manufacturer to determine if the case is fully supported, or have a competent gunsmith examine the firearm and determine the amount of support provided the case. If your firearm does not provide complete support for the case, DO NOT USE Accurate Arms Company data or products to reload your 40 S&W ammunition.

This is the first time Accurate Arms Company has felt it necessary to place such a restriction on the use of our products, but the continued safety and welfare of the shooting public compels us to do so.
    "

Note: bold emphasis in mine.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I will be shooting them with a Walther. From what I see the cartridge is well supported in the chamber. In a Glock there is a lot of brass showing when a round is chambered. Not so with the Walther.

BTW The only Glock in .40 I have seen to use for comparison is one issued to an LEO buddy of mine. It is not a newer model, which I have heard now have more chamber support than the one he was issued.

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; January 2nd, 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added info..

Here is some of my data for the 9mm using AA#5. I also have data for the 40 S&W and 45 ACP with AA#5. For the 40 I got data with the 180gr and 155gr bullett, cast lead and FMJ. I got some 9mm FMJ data and 45 ACP 230 gr cast lead and FMJ load data.

Chronograph Data - Glock 19 and Kel Tec P-11

Some data from last week chronograph run. I re-ran some of my reloads and factory ammo through two guns; a Glock 19 with a KKM barrel and a Kel Tec P-11. The reloads were done on a 1986 Dillon 550. The FMJ ammo was several years old; I think about 10 years old. The OAL on the cast lead loads was 1.12. I used CCI small pistol primers on this batch. The cast lead bullets were the Tennessee Valley brand. Powder is AA#5. The brass was mix brands; no military brass was used in the reloads.

Glock 19

Federal 124 gr FMJ 1,020fps
    (AE9AP)

124 gr RN cast lead
    6.2 AA#5 1,033fps

124 gr RN cast lead
    6.0 AA#5 966fps

P-11

Federal 124 gr FMJ 986fps
    (AE9AP)

124 gr RN cast lead
    6.2 AA#5 978 fps

124 gr RN cast lead
    6.0 AA#5 967fps
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I will be shooting them with a Walther. From what I see the cartridge is well supported in the chamber. In a Glock there is a lot of brass showing when a round is chambered. Not so with the Walther.

BTW The only Glock in .40 I have seen to use for comparison is one issued to an LEO buddy of mine. It is not a newer model, which I have heard now have more chamber support than the one he was issued.

bosco
    The early Glocks are the ones the majority of the problems have been in. I don't know if later versions changed the chamber configuration.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links