Why have a single stage and progressive

This is a discussion on Why have a single stage and progressive within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I had a case of the oh crap today,while reloading 223 on my Dillon 550,I missed sliding the case under the shell holder and raised ...

Thread: Why have a single stage and progressive

Why have a single stage and progressive

I had a case of the oh crap today,while reloading 223 on my Dillon 550,I missed sliding the case under the shell holder and raised the ram firmly embedding the case in the resizing die,after thinking how I was gonna get the case out I unscrewed the resizing die with case out of the 550 and screwed it into my lee single stage press,I then took the appropriate shellholder and as I raised the ram up into position slid the shell plate over the casebottom and into the groove on the ram,locking the stuck shell to the ram,I then just pulled up on the handle and extracted the case out.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The Dillon dies are made that if you get a stuck case in them you can remove the C clip, and screw down the resizer until it contacts the bottom of the case. When you keep screwing it down, it will pop the case out of the bottom side.

Removes damaged case, insert new one and start again. The whole process takes all of two minutes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I was using Lee dies,and just ordered a set of small base 223 dies from Midway
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Ahhh...that would explain it.

Even so, having a progressive and a single stage is not a bad thing. I have both.

For short runs its better than resetting the Dillon and changing the dies, shellplate, primer bar, and powder measure and in some cases its quicker too.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Even so, having a progressive and a single stage is not a bad thing. I have both.

For short runs its better than resetting the Dillon and changing the dies, shellplate, primer bar, and powder measure and in some cases its quicker too.
    Absolutely! And I have a Lyman Spar-T to boot. I have the .45 Colt dies and the seating dies for .30-30, .280 Rem and 7mm TCU in it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I want a Diilon.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have both, but never use the progressive for rifle rounds. I suppose if is shot a lot of .223 I would, but my rifle reloading has always been for hunting. I do not load over 2-3 boxes and want to weigh each powder charge, and examine each round at every stage.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Moderator
    Why not use the progressive for rifle rounds?

I've been doing it for years. I'll so severla hundred at a time and not have to worry about it for awhile.

There is no telling how many .223 or .308 I have done over the years but I am sure that some people would lose sleep over it if they knew.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I have a progressive and a single stage.

I use the single stage for my limited runs of extreme accurate rifle ammo (.308 Winchester and .22-250 Remington) and the rest - including .308 Win hunting and Garand ammo - I do on the progressive.

If one is paying attention, the progressive (Dillon 650) will load as accurate in almost all cases as a single stage.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have a Dillon 550, Lee four stage turret and a Lee single stage. Naturally, I use the Dillon to crank out large volumes but the single comes in handy as on occasion I'll find a few rounds that are a bit too long as I wasn't paying attention. the Lee makes fast work out of those and is also great for very precise loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Absolutely! And I have a Lyman Spar-T to boot. I have the .45 Colt dies and the seating dies for .30-30, .280 Rem and 7mm TCU in it.

My reloading bench is set up a Dillon 650, a 550B, a RCBS Jr I have had since 1970 and Lyman S-T. I have found uses for all of them and will use them all sometime during a month's time period.

single stage is a good tool to have

I like to compare it to a manual lathe and a CNC controlled unit. For load bracketing and such its much faster to load on the single stage as opposed to resetting a powder bar every 10 rounds. I still load the majority of my rifle rounds on a single as well short of .223, plinkin .308

Links