Help me play "Find the Squib!"

This is a discussion on Help me play "Find the Squib!" within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Send them all to me for proper disposal and start over again....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me play "Find the Squib!"

Send them all to me for proper disposal and start over again.

2. Remove Ads

I just pulled about 80 45 acp that I knew didn't have any powder,I forgot to fill the hopper before I started
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    As for how to get it out of your barrel. I took a wooded dowel and put it in the barrel. Covered the barrel with a thick hand-towel (so I didn't cut myself) and then grabbed the barrel and slammed the dowel into the floor until the bullet popped out. The second time it happened, I decided to put the dowel and towel in my shooting bag, since the second one happened 5 minutes into shooting that time and I had to just go home, because I couldn't fix it on site.
    Tye is correct, but I'd add one thing. Spray a bit of CLP or another lube down the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes. The bullet will emerge more easily. Also, I push the bullet out the same way it went in--away from the muzzle end--out the breech end.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

If you try weighing them you might also pull some of the heavier loads to check for a double charge. Also use the most precise scale you have. It might sound obvious but, I have a bar scale that reads to the thousandths of a grain but, my digital only reads to the grain good for weighing bullets but not much else and this another place where precision might pay off.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    As far as getting a squib round out, I know a guy who just carries a few primed, charged cartridges with a wax plug capping the end. If he has a squib, he loads the bullet-less cartridge and fires the squib out of the barrel.

It is that or a range rod to push / hammer it out.

You could sort the rounds by weight and start taking them apart starting from the lightest weight round until you found it. Still pretty labor intensive. Could just start taking them apart and save the steps of weighing & sorting.

Either way you have some work to do.

If there is the slightest chance of a double charge pull em or bury em. Why risk yourself or damage an expensive firearm over 200 rounds of .45? No disrespect intended, your possible hospital bill or repair (if repairable) of the pistol should make this easy to answer.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    As far as getting a squib round out, I know a guy who just carries a few primed, charged cartridges with a wax plug capping the end. If he has a squib, he loads the bullet-less cartridge and fires the squib out of the barrel.
    I think your friend has been very lucky. Even with the wax bullet, there's a good chance of bulging a barrel, especially if it's a thin barrel.

I guess I'm either lucky or very careful; I've never experienced a squib load and I have been shooting and reloading for 40 years.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Pull them and start over. If you're not convinced, look up reloading accidents. It's true that you could just shoot them and see what happens. Likely, nothing. Similarly, people drive drunk every night and get home safe. It's still not a good idea.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    First off, thanks to everyone for your input.

To address some specific things... I am not any more worried about a double charge than I would be with any other batch of rounds I have loaded. The evidence tells me I have a squib round, and I want to deal with that, but I am not any more concerned than usual about a double charge. Please believe me that I take my reloading seriously; I emphasized the frustrating time I was having mostly because it was magnified by the conclusion at the end that I couldn't even use the rounds that it had just taken me so bloody long to put together because of the one obvious screw-up.

Yes, one does not need lube with carbide dies, which is why I went and started loading even after I realized I hadn't lubed the first batch of cases. That said, there is a noticeable different in the ease of the resizing step when the cases are lubed, hence my comment that it was just a greater effort than usual, hence somewhat frustrating.

I have already tried shaking the cases as is and couldn't hear jack. I may see if I can get my hands on a stethoscope; that seems like a good accessory to keep around.

The reason I asked about clearing squibs is that one thought I had was to just save these rounds for slow fire at the range and just deal with it when the squib shows up. Two-hundred rounds of DA practice would be worthwhile, I guess.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Kaz,

I would suggest shooting into water (pond, creek or other body) if you have it available or shooting steel plates, steel tanks or something simlar if your going to shoot through them. I have done just that in the past, and choose water so I could see the bullet each time it left the barrel. If I didn't see a splash, I stopped unloaded checked the barrel and pushed the piece of lead out of the barrel.

Steel plates would give you the same opportunity to know if the round left the barrel.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would suggest shooting into water (pond, creek or other body) if you have it available or shooting steel plates, steel tanks or something simlar if your going to shoot through them.
    Good point. I actually keep a stack of Shoot-N-Cs for rifle, but one of the big ones pasted over an IDPA practice target would definitely help see the holes appear...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Kaz,

I would suggest shooting into water (pond, creek or other body) if you have it available or shooting steel plates, steel tanks or something simlar if your going to shoot through them. I have done just that in the past, and choose water so I could see the bullet each time it left the barrel. If I didn't see a splash, I stopped unloaded checked the barrel and pushed the piece of lead out of the barrel.

Steel plates would give you the same opportunity to know if the round left the barrel.

Good luck.
    Shooting across water is a bad idea, from a ricochet standpoint, and I can't imagine having all those squib loads. If I did, I'd be carefully examining my reloading technique to find out what I was doing wrong - 'cause that sure ain't normal!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If you will notice I said shoot into, not across water.

I don't know if your refering to all those of "my" reloads or all those of the OP's reloads, but if your refering to my reloads it was all of two. The OP is looking for possibly one squib load out of 200 rounds.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I think your friend has been very lucky. Even with the wax bullet, there's a good chance of bulging a barrel, especially if it's a thin barrel.
    Not to drift the subject, but why would a safe load plus a thin layer of wax to keep the powder in place cause a problem behind a squib bullet in a barrel? I'm not advocating this, just curious as to why it would be hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Not to drift the subject, but why would a safe load plus a thin layer of wax to keep the powder in place cause a problem behind a squib bullet in a barrel? I'm not advocating this, just curious as to why it would be hazardous.
    You have a solid object stuck in a barrel. The gas from the charge will, in effect, be hitting a solid, relatively-immovable object. The result is the barrel bulges behind the billet. It might not be a major bulge, but the odds are very high that it will damage the typical pistol barrel. One MIGHT get away with it, but I would not be willing to risk damaging the barrel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links