Help me play "Find the Squib!"

This is a discussion on Help me play "Find the Squib!" within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by farronwolf If you will notice I said shoot into, not across water. How do you shoot into a pond - shoot straight ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me play "Find the Squib!"

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If you will notice I said shoot into, not across water.
    How do you shoot into a pond - shoot straight down? Anything much shallower than a 75 degree angle will likely ricochet.

I don't know if your refering to all those of "my" reloads or all those of the OP's reloads, but if your refering to my reloads it was all of two. The OP is looking for possibly one squib load out of 200 rounds.
    I was just taking my cue from the following:

" I have done just that in the past, and choose water so I could see the bullet each time it left the barrel. If I didn't see a splash, I stopped unloaded checked the barrel and pushed the piece of lead out of the barrel."

It sounded like this was a common occurrence for you. My apology for not knowing what you actually meant.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Not to drift the subject, but why would a safe load plus a thin layer of wax to keep the powder in place cause a problem behind a squib bullet in a barrel? I'm not advocating this, just curious as to why it would be hazardous.
    I consider this to be an extremely dangerous thing to do and would never recommend this to anyone.

You don't see a discussion of this much with pistols because you would never seat a pistol bullet to touch the lands (not even possible with a revolver) but this is a subject of discussion when developing accuracy loads for rifles. Some advocate seating the bullets to just touch the lands to increase accuracy. But in all of these discussions, there is concern to make sure and work up the load slowly as touching the lands with the bullet can greatly increase pressures. The reason for this is that the bullet doesn't get a running start at the rifling. I consider firing even a weak powder charge behind a stuck bullet to clear the barrel a very foolish thing to do and you're just asking for a bulged or blown barrel.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    How do you shoot into a pond - shoot straight down? Anything much shallower than a 75 degree angle will likely ricochet.
    There is a creek that runs right behind the property at deer camp where we shoot. The bank is about 15 ft above the water level normally. The creek is only about 30 to 45 ft wide if you look straight across with a high bank on the other side, so there is a rather significant angle.

I disagree that anything less than 75 degrees will likely ricochet. Depending on the bullet type and the speed of the bullet and your distance from the water body, it is probably much closer to or less than 45 degrees from my experience before you get any ricochets.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    There is a creek that runs right behind the property at deer camp where we shoot. The bank is about 15 ft above the water level normally. The creek is only about 30 to 45 ft wide if you look straight across with a high bank on the other side, so there is a rather significant angle.

I disagree that anything less than 75 degrees will likely ricochet. Depending on the bullet type and the speed of the bullet and your distance from the water body, it is probably much closer to or less than 45 degrees from my experience before you get any ricochets.
    Farronwolf -- I have to agree with you. On the Mythbusters episode, Bulletproof Water, they set up rail mounting systems. First at 30 degrees and when they went to the swimming pool, at 23 degrees and none of the bullets ricocheted. You can read the annotated description here. A video of the 50 BMG test is here.

While I don't recommend shooting into water as a normal practice, it takes a substantially shallower angle than 75 degrees to get one to skip.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links