Reloading set up

Reloading set up

This is a discussion on Reloading set up within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm looking to start reloading for both rifle and pistol. I'm going for a single stage turret reloader as i think this will be easiest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reloading set up

I'm looking to start reloading for both rifle and pistol. I'm going for a single stage turret reloader as i think this will be easiest to use. So here is my shopping cart so far.

1. Lee 4 hole turret press with auto index kit

"This Deluxe Kit includes: Turret Press with Auto Index, Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Scale, Primer Pocket Cleaner, Cutter and Lock Stud and Chamfer Tool."

I adding to this the lee auto disk riser, universal and rifle powder charge die, micro adjustable charge bar, and large and small safety primer holder

2. Electronic Caliper/Micrometer

3. Dies for 30-06 and 9mm

4. Electronic Powdder Scale

I'm just worried about tools right now, I'll get to powder, primers, cases and bullets later. It's all sitting in my Midway USA shopping cart at a grand total of 288.99 minus shipping.

What do you think, is that a pretty good set up for the price?
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shell holders, etc.?
    I'm not familiar with Lee equipment other than their hand primer, which works fine, but it sounds like a decent setup for getting into the game.

I'm still using an assortment of Hereters (try find that in your Funk & Wagner), Lee, RCBS, etc. accumulated since 1975. I don't mass reload so it works for me. It's my theraputic time when I reload.

.38, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .45 Auto, .223, .30-06; they've all been through my setup, and they've worked well. One misfire in the batch.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nice start! I, personally anyway, prefer a hand priming tool over any press mounted one.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Shellholders come with the dies, I made sure to have that covered. I agree that priming by hand does look better than on the press, but I can always add a primer later if i ddecide to go that route. Thanks for the advice.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Sounds good so far.

Sounds pretty solid to me, Sailor. You will want a bullet puller sooner or later. You will need lubrication (there are some great spray lubes available) for the rifle case sizing and it won't hurt for pistol.

You'll find other goodies as you go on, but don't worry about buying them all at once.

The other major item you need is a bench upon which to mount the press. It doesn't have to be large, but it has to be solid and firm. A section of 2x16 solidly mounted against wall studs will do nicely, as will a work bench. But a free standing work bench has a tendency to move when cranking the handle.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

A good reloading manual is essential.

If you are going to use the setup as a single stage press (good way to start and get things set up the way you want), a few loading blocks will come in handy.

As stated above by MoMike I like to hand prime rather than use the press.

bosco

I'm just getting started into reloading myself.

Ordered the Lee Classic 4 hole turret kit yesterday from Kempf Gunshop.
    On my research I've read the classic press is a bit more robust and the ram has a longer stroke which helps with the rifle cartridges. Doesn't have the primer pocket cleaning tool or safety scales but comes with the deluxe 4 die set with new the factory crimp die plus a few other goodies and a couple up grades.

It was a tossup between the Lee Deluxe Turret and the Classic Kit from Kemfp

Keep us posted on your progress!

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I would choose the carbide dies. It's worth the extra money.

I did overlook the reloading manual, but I want to base it on whichever brand of bullet I choose to use right?

Bullet puller, good idea thanks.

Case Lube comes in the kit I think, but I'll double check.

I'll look into the carbide dies, they only mean I dont have to lube cases right? This keeps the cases cleaner right?

I plan to add a case tumbler and media later. And I have the most solid workbench a guy could ask for.
    MA2, USN

-- Robert A. Heinlein.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The carbide dies are for reloading straight wall pistol ammo. The case lube is to keep bottleneck ammo from sticking in the dies, in which case you will really need a stuck case remover !!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The Lee turret press is very useful. I use mine to load .45acp, .455webely, 357Sig, 223Rem. .308 and .303. I use a Loadmaster for .40cal and 9mm.

A solid mounting base is important

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    I did overlook the reloading manual, but I want to base it on whichever brand of bullet I choose to use right?

Bullet puller, good idea thanks.

Case Lube comes in the kit I think, but I'll double check.

I'll look into the carbide dies, they only mean I dont have to lube cases right? This keeps the cases cleaner right?

I plan to add a case tumbler and media later. And I have the most solid workbench a guy could ask for.
    You can go online and get load data from most powder makers ( I'm currently using H-38). The problem with bullet manuals is they only list their bullets and powders they used. A 185 grn HP is pretty much a 185 grn HP, regardless of maker. Do your research as to what bullet, what powder you want to use, then pick your manual. Keep in mind that a lot of data in most manuals is based on a particular gun barrel or test barrel, and your results may not be the same.
    Lubing cases is a drag, so for straight-walled cases, carbide is the way to go for dies.
    I've been using an el cheapo rock tumbler for cleaning cases for years. Works as well as any $80 case tumbler.
    "Surplus" bench? I had one that was rock-solid. Unfortunately it's gone now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You might want to go ahead and start getting your hands on some primers. You probably already have brass. Bullets and powder are readily availabe. Just thinking that once you get your loading gear in you are going to want to do some loading. The primer situation is getting better, but they can still be hard to find. I have panic attacks if I don't have primers stock piled.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I would get the Lee Classic Turret press over the regular Lee Turret press. It is built like a tank and spent primer disposal is better.
    "A man can never own enough guns."

Start collecting manuals to cross reference with. Also check out Hodgdon for loading data they cover all Hogdon, Winchester, and IMR powders. Handloads.com also has a lot of good info.http://data.hodgdon.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links