Stuck Case Removal

Stuck Case Removal

This is a discussion on Stuck Case Removal within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; and I mean really stuck case. Just resizing some .308 from my last range day. I tried Hornady's One shot spray lube for the first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Case Removal

Stuck Case Removal

and I mean really stuck case.

Just resizing some .308 from my last range day. I tried Hornady's One shot spray lube for the first time.

I now have a case stuck in the die. So stuck the shellholder just tore off the case rim, so no getting it out that way. It's a Lee die by the way. I took off the nut that held the expander ball/decapping pin in place and then tried to hammer it out. No avail. I don't have a stuck case remover tool, but I think I'll be getting one soon. Do they work if the decapping pin is still sticking through the flash hole? Any thing else I should try?
    Give us this day our daily lead...

I've had a case stuck in the chamber but never in a die Have you tried heating the die slightly and then try to drive it out. The trouble is the pin shaft dose not serve as a good driver for getting the case out of the die.

can you take the die out and tap it out?

sometimes you can not get one out. just throw the die away and buy a new one. then throw away the one shot lube and go back to the lube pad and some good case lube.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

take a drill and drill the primer pocket,you will need the correct bit for the tap you will thread the hole with,after drilling and tapping the hole place a socket over the stuck case and then thread a bolt with a washer into the threaded hole,as you tighten down the bolt it should start pulling the case out of the die
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Looks like the 'throw it away' option is the winner. Same goes for that one shot lube.

As a last ditch effort, I clamped it into a vise and pounded on it. Even if the case had come out, I'm pretty sure something would be bent or deformed by now.

Go to MidwayUSA or Brownells. They have tools for removing stuck cases from dies, and it's almost identical to what Dukal posted.

If it's a Lee Die, you're going to have as much in it as you would if you buy a new die set.

Don't sweat it, buddy. Everyone who reloads rifle ammo will eventually stick one. Mine was a .300 Winmag, and yes, it was with Hornady One Shot. That stuff works on .223, but nothing bigger. I now use Dillon Case Lube and have no problems 'tall.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Good to know about the one shot lube. I'll avoid it from now on. No worries about the die, it gave me an excuse to upgrade to a nicer set with better seater die.

That's a great idea.

Write Hornady about their one shot lube and they might do the right thing and replace your die. It can't hurt to try.

take a drill and drill the primer pocket,you will need the correct bit for the tap you will thread the hole with,after drilling and tapping the hole place a socket over the stuck case and then thread a bolt with a washer into the threaded hole,as you tighten down the bolt it should start pulling the case out of the die
    +1

Works for me.

Lee has directions on how to get a stuck case out on their website (don't use a regular hammer, a 3 or 5 lber works best with a drift punch) or send the die to Lee and for $5 and they'll get it out for you. Try putting it in the freezer for a few hours or soaking in WD40 overnight.

One Shot works fine - just hit the brass from each side with the spray going down at about a 45 deg angle so it gets in the case neck as well on the outside of the case. If you're using a loading block like the RCBS, the cases may go too far down in the block and the spray doesn't hit the bottom of the case very well - I really like the Lee loading block, much easier to use as it has 4 dff sized holes to properly accommodate a wider variety of cases.

Those stuck case removers were invented long before One Shot came along. Have you cleaned your dies lately?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Try PB blaster then hammer it out. but then again you could probably get a new die for 10 bucks.

Senior Moderator
    Over the years I have removed cases from dies when every other method failed by chucking up a die in the lathe and then drilling the head and boring the case out. So far, I have "saved" every die by using that method.

If you have any friends or know of anyone with a lathe and the skills you might get them to try it.

It couldnt hurt and you might even save the die.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    BTW---A can of STP and a ink pad should last a VERY long time. Works great to lube cases and I have never stuck one with STP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links