Magnum Primers in the 9mm.

This is a discussion on Magnum Primers in the 9mm. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Have any one used magnum primers in the 9mm? I have worked up a load with magnum primers in 40 S&W. This load is with ...

Thread: Magnum Primers in the 9mm.

Magnum Primers in the 9mm.

Have any one used magnum primers in the 9mm? I have worked up a load with magnum primers in 40 S&W. This load is with AA#5 powder and runs about 50fps more than standard primers, per my chronograph. I drop the same powder weight for both loads. I know that I will have to start low and work up the loads. I did this with the 40 S&W and when I got to my standard primer powder drop weight it was about 50 fps more. Not bad, nice to keep the Dillon powder drops setting at one weight no matter the primer. I don't run my loads hot, I run them on the lower end. So I am looking for some insight on using magnum primers in the 9mm.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

As long as you have NO signs of excessing pressure, go for it, if you already have them on hand or that's all you can lay your hands on.

What are your actual velocities? It's interesting that you are using the same loads in two rather disparate case sizes.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

what i was trying to say is, i drop the same powder drop in the 40 s&w for magnum and standard primers.

Red State State of Mind

I haven't had to use magnum primers yet in 9mm, but would not have a problem doing it if I ran out of regular SP primers.

The way you are working up your loads and the fact that your not loading at the top end, I don't think you will have any problems with it.

One thought on why the 40 gets 50 fps more is that since the magnum primer is a little hotter, your probably getting more powder burned in the pressure building cycle. Have you noticed any difference in the amount of discharge at the end of the barrel or in the powder residue in the gun between the magnum and standard primers? I can only assume that you will have less unburned flakes with the magnum loads.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    what i was trying to say is, i drop the same powder drop in the 40 s&w for magnum and standard primers.
    OK. Sorry I misread your post.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have used magnum small pistol and small rifle primers in my 9mm loads. I started at the very bottom of the load scale, made up 10, hit the range and adjusted from there. With a 115jhp Montana Gold bullet, CCI Mag SP Primer and 4.9 pf Ramshot Zip I was pretty happy with the results.

farronwolf i am using aa#5 powder and it is dirty. no matter the primer used and/or amount of powder dropped, it just dirty. i pickup 50 pounds of aa#5 last year. it was a good deal. i worked up loads for 45 acp, 40 s&w, 9mm, 380 acp, 38 sp, and started on the 44 mag. i was hoping it was going to be the end all to my powder needs. nice to keep thing simple. but it is dirty and my dillon 550 does not like it. i am down to 8 pounds and hope to be done with it this spring. but it looks like i am getting a better powder burn with the magnum primers. i can not see any unburned powder with the magnum primers. i can see lots with the standard primers.

Red State State of Mind

Links