Deactivating a live primer

This is a discussion on Deactivating a live primer within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Too bad it ain't pistol brass,you can take hot glue sticks and use the case mouth to cut plugs IE bullets,then ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deactivating a live primer

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Too bad it ain't pistol brass,you can take hot glue sticks and use the case mouth to cut plugs IE bullets,then ,with the bullet in the case load and shoot your wifes knick-nacks off the shelf,make sure she isn't gonna be home for awhile and walk in the door just as you pop onea her hummel thingys

Thats exactally what I would do

2. Remove Ads

Too bad it ain't pistol brass,you can take hot glue sticks and use the case mouth to cut plugs IE bullets,then ,with the bullet in the case load and shoot your wifes knick-nacks off the shelf,make sure she isn't gonna be home for awhile and walk in the door just as you pop onea her hummel thingys
    I showed this to my wife and she made references to making swinging targets out of certain of your male-specific body parts.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oil is one thing (not gonna try that) but I know a REALLY BAD idea when I see one.

Guess I'll scour the range for brass or wait til I have the rifle and pop the primers one at a time.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Then there is the old teen-age stunt of pulling the bullet, dumping the powder, putting the case in a vice and hitting the primer with a center punch and a hammer.

NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    I dont actually have the gun for 30-06 yet, I'm wanting to make dummies so I can practice loading/unloading my M1 Garand prior to taking it to the range.

Don't want to buy eight snap caps, I'll start asking around at the range if anybody shoots 30-06.
    Might be a good idea to mark them somehow (holes etc.) so they don't look like live ammo...If you want to actually fire the weapon with one of them chambered, then you can make your own homemade snap caps by filling the primer pocket with clear silicone tub sealer and pushing in into the cartridge itself so as to lock it in place after it cures. Once it is cured you can strike it repeatedly with the firing pin w/o damaging anything.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Thanks, I soaked a primed case in oil (WD40) overnight as an experiment. Touched a blowtorch to the primer, and BANG! Oil most definatly does not kill a primer overnight.

Also, it exploded with enough force to completly unseat (and throw into the air by a few feet) the primer itself, despite a military crimp.
    Last edited by Laser Sailor; January 29th, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links