Deactivating a live primer

This is a discussion on Deactivating a live primer within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; The first order of business once I get my reloading equipment is to make some 30-06 dummy rounds. I'm thinking of pulling apart live rounds, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deactivating a live primer

Deactivating a live primer

The first order of business once I get my reloading equipment is to make some 30-06 dummy rounds. I'm thinking of pulling apart live rounds, dumping the powder, killing the primer, decapping followed by reseating the bullet.

But whats he most surefire way to kill a primer? I'd have no problem setting them off, but I don't have a rifle yet.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Oil. Let it soak in for a while.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

ball peen hammer

but seriously the majority of "dummy" rounds your see for display are bare pockets and some even go as far as drilling a hole in the case web area. If you are thinking "dummy" for snap cap like purposes I would suggest get getting a snap cap as a repeatedly hit primer has little effect on the firing pin after the first couple strikes.

sorry mis read your post

You are looking to kill the primer so you can decap the casings, I got ya now, A penatrating oil like pb blaster or such is the safest method

Don't risk it. Oil may or may not kill the primer. Fired 30-06 brass is as plentiful as blades of grass. Scrounge some empty cases at the local range or from your buddies. If that doesn't work, I'll mail you some... ;-)

pull the bullet dump the powder put the primed case in your gun and pull the trigger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    The first order of business once I get my reloading equipment is to make some 30-06 dummy rounds. I'm thinking of pulling apart live rounds, dumping the powder, killing the primer, decapping followed by reseating the bullet.

But whats he most surefire way to kill a primer? I'd have no problem setting them off, but I don't have a rifle yet.
    That's doing it the hard way. Just de-prime a fired case and seat a bullet in it.

FWIW, do not depend upon any particular oil/solvent to kill primers. The only guaranteed, 100 percent sure-fire (no pun intended) way is to shoot them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I dont actually have the gun for 30-06 yet, I'm wanting to make dummies so I can practice loading/unloading my M1 Garand prior to taking it to the range.

Don't want to buy eight snap caps, I'll start asking around at the range if anybody shoots 30-06.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

The only sure-fire way to kill a live primer is to strike it with a firing pin.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    pull the bullet dump the powder put the primed case in your gun and pull the trigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The only sure-fire way to kill a live primer is to strike it with a firing pin.
    Listen to these guys. They've got it right. Don't ever count on oil to kill a primer.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    for $50 you could get a single stage lee press, univ decap die, shell holder and a fire proof blanket.

mount the press on a bench, put decap and shell holder in, put primed shell in the press cover with fire proof blanket, put on a long sleeve shirt, welder's gloves, safety glasses and leather apron and slowly decap the brass.

Or fire the primer like Ram Rod and dukalmighty said.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    I dont actually have the gun for 30-06 yet, I'm wanting to make dummies so I can practice loading/unloading my M1 Garand prior to taking it to the range.

Don't want to buy eight snap caps, I'll start asking around at the range if anybody shoots 30-06.
    Ah Ha----Another candidate for the infamous "M-1 Thumb".

Dont worry--It will feel better in a couple of weeks. And I'll bet you will be more carefull in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Ah Ha----Another candidate for the infamous "M-1 Thumb".

Dont worry--It will feel better in a couple of weeks. And I'll bet you will be more carefull in the future.
    I got my first (and LAST one) in high school ROTC in Owensboro, Kentucky in 1960. It took WEEKS for the impression of the bolt face to go away.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I've poked out plenty of live primers for various reasons and have never had one go off. I tend to decap it a little slower than normal, but I wouldn't fear it one bit to just poke it out live.

30.06 brass is plentiful to find, I even have a handful of it that I've picked up with everything else and have never had a 30.06 rifle and it would save you taking apart perfectly good rounds.

Too bad it ain't pistol brass,you can take hot glue sticks and use the case mouth to cut plugs IE bullets,then ,with the bullet in the case load and shoot your wifes knick-nacks off the shelf,make sure she isn't gonna be home for awhile and walk in the door just as you pop onea her hummel thingys
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links