Looking for Advice Before Placing Order

This is a discussion on Looking for Advice Before Placing Order within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I'm new to reloading, and after doing some research I believe i compiled a list of everything I would HAVE to have to safely ...

Thread: Looking for Advice Before Placing Order

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

Looking for Advice Before Placing Order

So I'm new to reloading, and after doing some research I believe i compiled a list of everything I would HAVE to have to safely reload. I did add an electric scale even though it comes with an analog one, since I think I'd feel safer with an electric one. Also, I believe I read that the turret press does not come with the priming add-on, so instead i got the hand primer which i believe a few members here prefer.

Is there anything I can replace one of the items here with? Is there a place I can order this stuff cheaper? Anything to watch out for? Just your general advice. I don't want to get ripped off or forget anything that's absolutely mandatory.

Also, I know I'll need a book or two, so any suggestions would be nice.

I'm also going to try to get some of this stuff local if the price is right, to avoid shipping.

Turret Press with Auto Index, Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Scale, Primer Pocket Cleaner, Cutter and Lock Stud and Chamfer Tool.

Carbide Dies

Hand Priming Tool

Lyman Turbo 1200 PRO Case Tumbler

Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media Corn Cob 7 lb Bag

Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel

Hornady GS-1500 Electronic Powder Scale 1500 Grain Capacity

Total
    274.43 (and roughly 25.52 for shipping)

2. Remove Ads

I just got that same press. It's great but expect to take a few moments to get everything figured out. I removed the auto index so I can use it as a single stage press till I get the hang of reloading. I recommnd you add a kenetic bullet puller, I got the one by Frankland Arsenal, it works well. Also the turret kit does not come with the safety priming system, you have a hand primer listed but if you want to prime on the press you're gonna need them.

Also the press does not come with bolts for mounting, I spent a good twenty minutes looking before I figured that out.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    I just got that same press. It's great but expect to take a few moments to get everything figured out. I removed the auto index so I can use it as a single stage press till I get the hang of reloading. I recommnd you add a kenetic bullet puller, I got the one by Frankland Arsenal, it works well. Also the turret kit does not come with the safety priming system, you have a hand primer listed but if you want to prime on the press you're gonna need them.

Also the press does not come with bolts for mounting, I spent a good twenty minutes looking before I figured that out.
    Thanks for the heads up. I read that it didn't come with the safety priming system, but I read people recommending hand priming, so i figured i'd get that instead. If anyone prefers the safety primer, please let me know. I'm still undecided about that one.

And didn't know about the bolts... i'm sure i got some laying around the workbench that'll work though. I wrote down a bullet puller but totally forgot to look one up... oops

Only thing I could recommend is to get your kit here https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

It'll probably save you a crapload of money, plus it's the Lee Classic Turret Press, which apparently is far better than the standard turret press.

Also here is an awesome setup instruction http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

Thanks for the setup link, a day late for me, but good info none the less.

Also a the press you have there, does not have a spent primer catch. They will just fall out, requiring either a homemade catch or sweep up afterwards.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

I didn't use the guide, I just started setting it up without instructions like I normally do. I wound up with the disk installed wrong on the powder measure and ended up dumping powder everywhere . I decided just to use the adjustable micrometer for the Auto Disk measure since I couldn't get a disk to give me exactly what I wanted. I imagine the reason they don't include any mounting bolts is because everyone installs their press differently. I used some 5/16x18x3" bolts to mount mine with, so folks like to use lag screws, or both. I don't think anyone has a better price than Kempf's, especially since the Lee Deluxe 4 die set is included. It ends up being less than $200 even with the Pro Auto Disk and both primer sizes.

Don't buy the tumbler media online,go to Pet Smart and get a 25# bag of walnut litter for bird cages,it's about $12.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The price on the hand primer looks pretty low ($12.99?). What brand is it?

I prefer a hand primer (Lee) as it allows better feel for the primer seating. It's easy to "feel" a worn primer pocket; it presses in too easily (they should feel "snug."). I mark that casing with a marker and toss it after the next firing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The price on the hand primer looks pretty low ($12.99?). What brand is it?

I prefer a hand primer (Lee) as it allows better feel for the primer seating. It's easy to "feel" a worn primer pocket; it presses in too easily (they should feel "snug."). I mark that casing with a marker and toss it after the next firing.
    Lees hand primers are that price,but you need to buy the shell plates for it and they are about the same price IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great info and links. I really appreciate it. Any other tips, suggestions, warnings, etc etc would be appreciated. I'm completely new and it's a little overwhelming. The more I read and videos I watch, the more confident i become that i can do this. Thanks again guys.

Get the Classic Turret, its a much better press than the Deluxe Turret. As for priming, I really like the safety prime. IMO hand priming adds an unnecessary extra step with no real benefit over using the Safety Prime on the press.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

When buying corn cob, go to grainger or a similar store and get 1014 corncob blasting medium, pretty cheap. I use a 1420 corncob medium, but it is not is not the size that Lyman uses. I use red rouge car polish in the corn cob medium, cheap at Wal Mart. One last thing, corn cob medium can be cleaned, use dawn dish soap and water , swish it around good and solid, then dry in an oven at low heat- if the heat is to high it stinks to high heaven... I dry on the wood stove.

Links