Federal 210 primers and 30-30???

This is a discussion on Federal 210 primers and 30-30??? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm going to start reloading 30-30 ammo. I have about 400 shell cases laying around (maybe more) and with the way prices are going I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 210 primers and 30-30???

I'm going to start reloading 30-30 ammo. I have about 400 shell cases laying around (maybe more) and with the way prices are going I have decided to make an effort to find components. Although the place I buy my components have been without 165 30cal projectiles and no primers for a couple of months, and they won't take orders.

The Hornaday reloading book calls for federal 210 primers. does anyone know if there is a equivalent primer in case I can't find 210's? ??

I should mention I reload 40cal all the time, I have two Dillion 550B press's one is dedicated to 40 cal, the other will handle everything else, including 380, 44mag/spl and now the 30-30. I just have to buy the heads and dies for 30-30.

ok, I know some is going to ask? i got the other press because a guy owed me a lot of money, so I took his press in lieu of payment.....it was dusty and he rarely used it anyway. So that's why I have two now
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Any Large Rifle primer will work. Just drop the load 10 percent and work your way back up.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Any Large Rifle primer will work. Just drop the load 10 percent and work your way back up.
    interesting thought, Thanx

why does a different primer make different powders burn differently
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

LR and LRM have different amounts of explosive compound, each brand has a different mix and amount of compound. So each primer brand is slightly different in flame amount and flame temperature. Also each brands cup is harder or softer.

Just reduce loads as stated and use any LR primer and work up.

Do not push a 30-30 lever action, it is not as strong as a good bolt. Stop at listed max loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    LR and LRM have different amounts of explosive compound, each brand has a different mix and amount of compound. So each primer brand is slightly different in flame amount and flame temperature. Also each brands cup is harder or softer.

Just reduce loads as stated and use any LR primer and work up.

Do not push a 30-30 lever action, it is not as strong as a good bolt. Stop at listed max loads.

Thanx for the info, first I got to find components
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Components are listed in loading manuals mainly so you know exactly what produced their results. Primers may be slightly different, cases may have slightly varying capacities, etc. As long as you start at the starting load for the given bullet style (jacketed or lead) and bullet weight, you should not have any problems using any component for that cartridge. The only thing your really need to know is the size of the primer. Here's a primer cross reference chart in case you're not familiar with a particular brand's naming system. Do NOT reduce the powder charge below the starting load regardless of primer brand. Quite frankly, in over 30 years of reloading, I've never found that the brand of primer had any significant effect on velocity or accuracy. The only caveat I'd throw out has to do with the Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primer. I don't use many Remington primers (use CCI almost exclusively), but according to what's posted in the description on Midway's web site:
    Warning: Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.

# This 6-1/2 Small Rifle primer is primarily designed for use in the 22 Hornet.
    Considering the cost of bench rest primers, I'd just switch to a different brand.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience with the 30-30, but from my experience I would strongly suggest that you get a Lee Factory Crimp Die for it. The 30-30 is what caused me to buy my first Lee FCD. I was having fits trying to get enough crimp to hold the bullet and not bulge the case. I was about to relegate the 30-30 to factory ammo until I discovered the Lee FCD. I now have one for virtually every caliber I load.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Components are listed in loading manuals mainly so you know exactly what produced their results. Primers may be slightly different, cases may have slightly varying capacities, etc. As long as you start at the starting load for the given bullet style (jacketed or lead) and bullet weight, you should not have any problems using any component for that cartridge. The only thing your really need to know is the size of the primer. Here's a primer cross reference chart in case you're not familiar with a particular brand's naming system. Do NOT reduce the powder charge below the starting load regardless of primer brand. Quite frankly, in over 30 years of reloading, I've never found that the brand of primer had any significant effect on velocity or accuracy. The only caveat I'd throw out has to do with the Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primer. I don't use many Remington primers (use CCI almost exclusively), but according to what's posted in the description on Midway's web site:

Considering the cost of bench rest primers, I'd just switch to a different brand.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience with the 30-30, but from my experience I would strongly suggest that you get a Lee Factory Crimp Die for it. The 30-30 is what caused me to buy my first Lee FCD. I was having fits trying to get enough crimp to hold the bullet and not bulge the case. I was about to relegate the 30-30 to factory ammo until I discovered the Lee FCD. I now have one for virtually every caliber I load.

Hoss
    Thanx for the info Hoss, and the cross reference chart is a huge help. Thank you very much. I ordered the crimp die tonight, it should be here long before I find primers
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Thanx for the info Hoss, and the cross reference chart is a huge help. Thank you very much. I ordered the crimp die tonight, it should be here long before I find primers

Hoss
    I agree on all counts. For the 30-30 lever gun any LGR primer will do. Fed 210's are great primers but you won't see any difference between the 210 and the WLR.
    One last but critical item, NO POINTED bullets in a tubular magazine...MUST be round or flat nosed. Someone has a soft tipped spritzer that is supposed to be OK for tube feed lever guns but I don't know if its available as a component.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I agree on all counts. For the 30-30 lever gun any LGR primer will do. Fed 210's are great primers but you won't see any difference between the 210 and the WLR.
    One last but critical item, NO POINTED bullets in a tubular magazine...MUST be round or flat nosed. Someone has a soft tipped spritzer that is supposed to be OK for tube feed lever guns but I don't know if its available as a component.
    yes, Hornaday's LeveRevelution is a ballistic/polymer tipped projectile and they work great.

I also have asked about these projectiles at my local supplier, and they said it is available but they have not been able to acquire them ( i have no idea if that is true or not. )

they would be nice to try and reload
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    yes, Hornaday's LeveRevelution is a ballistic/polymer tipped projectile and they work great.

I also have asked about these projectiles at my local supplier, and they said it is available but they have not been able to acquire them ( i have no idea if that is true or not. )

they would be nice to try and reload
    Midway has them as does Mid-South Shooter's Supply.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I gota get out more often. Mid-south seems to be a little cheaper (by 3 bucks)
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

so i went to Hornady website and found a dealer locator, guess who the only dealer is withing 50 miles of me, Ha, the same guys I'm buying my stuff from now and they claim they can't the bullets ???
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

make sure you use the Hornady load data of you get the FTX bullets.

They recommend a specail trim lenght as well as specific powder charges that differ from the usual 160 gr load data.

see post #9 here - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...resources.html
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    make sure you use the Hornady load data of you get the FTX bullets.

They recommend a specail trim lenght as well as specific powder charges that differ from the usual 160 gr load data.

see post #9 here - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...resources.html

Thanx Sarge, I have an e-mail into Hornady asking about reloading the 160gr LeveRevelution <sp> projectile. Of course I have to find some first

on a side note, my Lee Factory Crimp die showed up today, now i just need primers and projectiles LOL
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Good news

I found Federal 210 Large Rifle Primers........... 28 bucks for 5000, includes tax.

The price is a little high, but I found them........yea!!!!

Now all I need to do is find 30cal TFX bullets and I'm in
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links