Ponsness/Warren, Inc. Metal-Matic P-200

This is a discussion on Ponsness/Warren, Inc. Metal-Matic P-200 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My dad finally caved and let me have his reloader he hasn't touched in 23+ years. Only problem is I can't seem to find much ...

Thread: Ponsness/Warren, Inc. Metal-Matic P-200

Ponsness/Warren, Inc. Metal-Matic P-200

My dad finally caved and let me have his reloader he hasn't touched in 23+ years. Only problem is I can't seem to find much info on it. With the Metal-Matic press I also received an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure system but will be purchasing a more adjustable powder system.

I only own 9mm semi autos so I will need new dies, something for powder measure, and I think a shell holder. Does anyone know if the shell holder for a .357 will hold a 9mm? For the parts I need I was considering the following:

-Lee Carbide 4 die set
    -Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
    -Lee Safety Scale
    -Lee "Modern Reloading"
    -Impact bullet puller

Any suggestions on changes or anything? I can't afford to spend much more on the setup and I will just be loading for plinking and fun target shooting.

2. Remove Ads

The shell holder for 9mm and 357 are two different animals---NO--they will not interchange.

Might as well order a shellholder for 9mm when you send off for the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    The shell holder for 9mm and 357 are two different animals---NO--they will not interchange.

Might as well order a shellholder for 9mm when you send off for the other stuff.
    Any idea where I can get a shell holder for this press? Will the lee shell holder fit?

I haven't seen a P-W press in years. There is a web site for their reloaders at

Ponsness/Warren, Online Shopping for Recreational Shooters

They should be able to answer any questions and supply anything you need. From the looks of it (I haven't seen one in years) the P-200 uses standard dies, but I don't know about the shell holders.

FWIW, Google is your friend. The above took about 30 seconds to find.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I haven't seen a P-W press in years. There is a web site for their reloaders at

Ponsness/Warren, Online Shopping for Recreational Shooters

They should be able to answer any questions and supply anything you need. From the looks of it (I haven't seen one in years) the P-200 uses standard dies, but I don't know about the shell holders.

FWIW, Google is your friend. The above took about 30 seconds to find.
    I found that website but couldn't locate a shell holder. I guess I will have to call them Monday.

I have not personally used this press but back in the day I remember many people stating they were of very good quality. While not a true progressive they have a high loading rate faster than a turret but not up to Dillon speeds.
    The Lee sets come with a shell holder but it is for the C & O type presses in use it may or may not fit your press.
    Don't sell the Little Dandy short they are very good for pistol but you need different rotors to accommodate various powder charges.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Way back in the day the P/W presses were considered the caddies of loading presses, especially their shotshell presses.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I have not personally used this press but back in the day I remember many people stating they were of very good quality. While not a true progressive they have a high loading rate faster than a turret but not up to Dillon speeds.
    The Lee sets come with a shell holder but it is for the C & O type presses in use it may or may not fit your press.
    Don't sell the Little Dandy short they are very good for pistol but you need different rotors to accommodate various powder charges.
    The little dandy is nice but the different rotors are $12 each and I can get an adjustable powder system that will work with the lee through die for $25.

The Little Dandy was never meant to be a powder measure for anything other than holding over a loading tray full of primed cases. I still have the one I bought well over 30 years ago, but haven't used it in years.

A decent, inexpensive, measure is the Lee AutoDisk measure. I have been using them for years and have five of them on Dillon Tool Heads for my common pistol calibers. One would do just fine on the P-W. (oops, just saw that you already have that on your goodies list)

If I remember correctly, the P200 was built like a tank and should last longer than any of our lifetimes.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Just got an email response and was told:
    "The P200 uses the standard shell holder that you should be able to get from any store that sells reloading tooling, especially the 9MM. P/W has never made the tools or shell holders."

That's great news! I was worried I would have to track some fancy shell plate down.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Just got an email response and was told:
    "The P200 uses the standard shell holder that you should be able to get from any store that sells reloading tooling, especially the 9MM. P/W has never made the tools or shell holders."

That's great news! I was worried I would have to track some fancy shell plate down.
    OK you are good to go then as the lee set comes with a shell holder.
    If you want to be rid of the Little Dandy let me know.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Links