Dillion 650 Tool Head Powder issue

This is a discussion on Dillion 650 Tool Head Powder issue within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a 650 with 2 spare tool heads. I have one set up permantly for .223, one set up for 9mm that work perfectly ...

Thread: Dillion 650 Tool Head Powder issue

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Dillion 650 Tool Head Powder issue

I have a 650 with 2 spare tool heads. I have one set up permantly for .223, one set up for 9mm that work perfectly fine. They always dispense powder within about .1-2 hundreds of a grain difference.

I have once permantly set up for .40 and I'm having a little issue.

Currently I'm dropping 5.6 grains of Win 231, I'm starting very low because this powder is very old, from the Winchester TIN can. Randomly I notice that it will drop a difference of 1.2 grains less of powder in some of the cases. Some times it does this every 10 shell sometimes ever 5th shell. There seems to be no ryhme or reason to the madness. I even changed powder to AA #5 and had the same problem (of course I changed the grain weight). Now .40 is the only caliber I load were I use mixed brass. My 9mm and .223 is sorted by head stamp so I'm wondering if this is the issue but I really do not think it is the issue. This has caused me to weight every shell. The speed at which I am pulling the handle dosn't seem to be an issue since it seems to do the same if I go very slow.

Any body experience this as well?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

are you getting 1 to 2 grains difference,or .1 to .2 tenths difference,Some powders don't meter as well as others,I find that mine will drop a difference,of .1 to .2,since I'm loading on the low side it's not an issue,If I was loading a maximum charge then you are better off with a more precise powder measure,Just my .02 Right now I'm loading 5.3 grains American Select behind 155 grn LRN and they shoot good out of my sigs especially my new 229
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

yes it happens with some powders with the dillon powder drop system.. i use aa#5 and i get some lite drops also with the fail safe powder drops. the old two springs powder drops don't do it as much as the new ones. that's why i still use some of the older ones and have not changed them to the new system. i got several new ones and i have found out if you put a spring and/or a rubber band on the fail safe powder system in helps. there is also a mod you can do to the fail safe ones to make them all most like the old system. go to the brian enos forum and do a search on "fartknocker" to see how. i have not done the mod the rubber band works for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    are you getting 1 to 2 grains difference,or .1 to .2 tenths difference,Some powders don't meter as well as others,I find that mine will drop a difference,of .1 to .2,since I'm loading on the low side it's not an issue,If I was loading a maximum charge then you are better off with a more precise powder measure,Just my .02 Right now I'm loading 5.3 grains American Select behind 155 grn LRN and they shoot good out of my sigs especially my new 229
    I'm trying to throw 5.6 grains
    I'm getting 4.4 sometims 4.3. Grains.

My 9mm, and 223 set ups are on the their own tool heads they only vary maybe .1 to .2 grains.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    yes it happens with some powders with the dillon powder drop system.. i use aa#5 and i get some lite drops also with the fail safe powder drops. the old two springs powder drops don't do it as much as the new ones. that's why i still use some of the older ones and have not changed them to the new system. i got several new ones and i have found out if you put a spring and/or a rubber band on the fail safe powder system in helps. there is also a mod you can do to the fail safe ones to make them all most like the old system. go to the brian enos forum and do a search on "fartknocker" to see how. i have not done the mod the rubber band works for me.
    AA# 5 is were the problem started.

I"ll try the rubber band trick. Would really like to see a photo of your set up just to see what exactly your doing.

Are you watching to make sure the charge bar goes all the way in and out on each stroke,only other thing I can think of is that the powder is "Bridging over the charge bar and causing light loads,One more thing,make sure the powder die insert is not in upside down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

the rubber band goes in the same place as the springs from the old powder drops. you need to get a heavy duty rubber band. the rubber band goes around the plastic powder hold tube and the metal up bar on the powder adjust bar. adjust the rubber band for how much snap you want. if you can find the springs they work better. i will take some pictures and pm them to you before the week is out.

yes aa#5 was the start of my problems also. i have changed out the powder drop case body three times so far (9mm twice, 40 s&w once). dillon has send me new ones when i call at no charge. aa#5 gets behind/under/between the powder bar and powder drop case body. it makes a mess, changes drop weight, and galdes the powder drop case,, it will bind the system in where it will not move/work. when i put the rubber band on it seem to stop all my problems. so far i have not have any problems. i have been thinking about changing my three fail safe powder drops over to the old system.. i got two old systems that i got in 1987 and i have never done anything with them. set them up and used them.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Are you watching to make sure the charge bar goes all the way in and out on each stroke,only other thing I can think of is that the powder is "Bridging over the charge bar and causing light loads,One more thing,make sure the powder die insert is not in upside down
    Its not upside down but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    the rubber band goes in the same place as the springs from the old powder drops. you need to get a heavy duty rubber band. the rubber band goes around the plastic powder hold tube and the metal up bar on the powder adjust bar. adjust the rubber band for how much snap you want. if you can find the springs they work better. i will take some pictures and pm them to you before the week is out.

yes aa#5 was the start of my problems also. i have changed out the powder drop case body three times so far (9mm twice, 40 s&w once). dillon has send me new ones when i call at no charge. aa#5 gets behind/under/between the powder bar and powder drop case body. it makes a mess, changes drop weight, and galdes the powder drop case,, it will bind the system in where it will not move/work. when i put the rubber band on it seem to stop all my problems. so far i have not have any problems. i have been thinking about changing my three fail safe powder drops over to the old system.. i got two old systems that i got in 1987 and i have never done anything with them. set them up and used them.
    Frank thanks for the assistance. I'm trying to visualize butI guess I have to see a picture to make it work. I'm one of them visual learners. I will await the photos thanks.

The only time I have this problem is when the powder die is not adjusted properly and the charge bar doesn't bottom out on the up stroke; OR the charge bar doesn't get pulled back all the way on the down stroke. Which is what Dukalmighty said. (Good thinking, Duke.)(Or is it Duck?)

I don't load much 40 S&W, but I do use a lot of WW231 in several pistol calibers. Normally I have an maximum range of about .2 grain centered on the target weight.

The only other problem I ever had with the powder measure was when a small ball of cat hair was introduced into the powder hopper. (Don't ask.) Check to see if there might be any foreign material there.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Archie;1506491

The only other problem I ever had with the powder measure was [B
    when a small ball of cat hair was introduced into the powder hopper.[/B] (Don't ask.) Check to see if there might be any foreign material there.
    You gotta explain that one!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links