Reloading .45 ACP R-P Brass (Remington-Peters)

Reloading .45 ACP R-P Brass (Remington-Peters)

This is a discussion on Reloading .45 ACP R-P Brass (Remington-Peters) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; A question on reloading .45 ACP Remington R-P brass: I separated all the different headstamp brands of my brass. They all seem about the same ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .45 ACP R-P Brass (Remington-Peters)

Question Reloading .45 ACP R-P Brass (Remington-Peters)

A question on reloading .45 ACP Remington R-P brass:

I separated all the different headstamp brands of my brass. They all seem about the same running through the press until I started on a batch of Remington R-P. Using a Lee Classic Turret press during the bullet seating process on the R-P casings, the bullet felt like it went In to easy without very much tension. The factory crimp die feels like it barely touches the casing. I'm concerned about setback when the round is chambered.

Is this the norm with Remington-Peters brass and should I have any concern using this once shot (by me) brass? I feel like tossing it but I have about 300 pieces of R-P brass and about the same in unfired Remington UMC

Here's the specs on the .45ACP.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd45acp.jpg

Your bullets should be .452 LEAD or .451 Jacketed.

Check out the thickness of the brass against some other ones.

OMO

bosco

In my experience Rem brass is somewhat thinner. I reach this conclusions because the bullets sear easier, and that is especially true of cast bullets. I like Rem brass for lead due to that fact.

I have had no problem with Rem brass with either jacketed or cast bullets.

Regards,
    Jerry

I had a batch of Rem .45 ACP that simply would not hold proper tension with two different sets of dies. Set back WAS problem, I have not used Rem .45 cases since.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I had a batch of Rem .45 ACP that simply would not hold proper tension with two different sets of dies. Set back WAS problem, I have not used Rem .45 cases since.
    I really don't feel comfortable at all using this Remington brass especially since I'm at the beginner stage of reloading. Instead of tossing them I'll just put them back encase someone else may want them.

Thanks again guys,

TheShadow

I have good luck with it. I have a lot of trouble getting the PMC brass to chamber properly, the R.P brass is easy to reload, and always chambers well.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Only .45 acp Brass I've had issues with are head stamped with N-T (non toxic), Had both Winchester and Federal. They take small primers not large pistol.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

used brass

i have about 5k in mixed brass. never had a problem with any of it. i use hornady lnl and load both lead (cast my own) and fmj. i do use the lee crimper die and check every 15-20 rounds.

i actually like the remington brass as primers seem to seat super easy.

I've loaded about ten rounds with the R-P brass. Like I said In the OP the Lee factory crimp die just slips over the case with hardly any friction. If I ran down the crimp die 1/2 to a full turn will I get more bite on the crimp? It's the setback during the chambering that concerns me.

E.T.A.: If I get a OAL reading then chamber the round a couple times and there is no deviation on the OAL... would this be a sufficient way to check for setback?

Load a mag. Shoot all but the last round and check OAL. Repeat.
    I have never had a problem with Remington brass. I can tell when different brass goes through the press.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    FWIW this was nickle plated which I try to avoid, but I have never had a problem with other brands
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

You might have to re-seat your crimping die, the metal might be a bit thin. I would suggest that you get out your micrometer and check the metal thickness at the rim.

I give the final rounds a squeeze between my thumb and side of pointer finger to check for setback, if I feel the bullet sink down into case, I pull the bullet. I load .40 and had issues with RP nickel and JHP not staying at my OAL 1.125. Pulled them and loaded them with plated FP with no issues at all. I had tried to increase crimp on those and went a tad too far and wrinkled the bottom of a few cases. The bullets I pulled had a nice line of crimp around them. I just thought the JHP is a harder jacket and with thin RP nickel cases, it was a bad mix for setback.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I reload RP brass all the time and except for the occasional loose primer pocket, I don't have any problems. I simply mark the loose pocket case and discard it the next time around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Never had a problem with R-P! Loads just fine, chambers well enough, fires same as it did factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links