How much Brass is too much

This is a discussion on How much Brass is too much within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Problem is that all that brass is useless without lead, powder, and primers....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Brass is too much

Problem is that all that brass is useless without lead, powder, and primers.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

A couple 5 gallon buckets of everything you shoot isn't too much!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If this thread was on sigforum, I'd be saying great karma! right now :D I don't think you can have too much brass. I'm working on my collection right now.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

true. i have the lead just need to make more bullets and 8lb of powder will last me a while and hopefully I'll be picking up another 8lb jug. or maybe 2 depending on my finances. Primers are the only hard thing for me to keep in stock right now

Yep buy it cheap and stack it deep, this dearth of supplies have surely taught us that lesson. I have a bit of all the above, except for large pistol primers which I only have a couple of thousand. I really feel sorry for those folks who do not reload and have no way to get bullets, well maybe they can get bullets , but will pay through the nose. Years ago I was told by an old guy that if gun control would ever be tried the real issue would be primers. This primer shortage has really shown me that he was right , even if the reasons are unclear, except for hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Brass is always fun to collect. I've got about 40,000 pieces of .223 brass right now. Little over 500 pounds. Then I've got a couple hundred pounds each of 9mm, 40, and 45 brass too. But only 38 pieces of .308 brass.:(
    You're a commercial reloader; you've got an in-house source.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Party-Pooper!!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The gems (jems) vs junk spectrum has many steps. While I do believe anything you can't take the time to sort is one step closer to junk, there are many differences between, and sorting is just one. Available storage space also ranks high on my list.

Sort it and store it. If you have the room to store, and it is good brass, you can never have to much (only not enough).

I know someone who has so much brass they store it in their attic (one rubber maid storage bin in the attic sorted in bags and one next to the work bench). He does it for many reasons, but stated one reason is you never know what could increase the cost of ammo.

Because of this, I have yet to ever toss a 30.06 or .38 brass. .22 brass and .357 Sig I've let go of (as I'm not confident of my skills in reloading the .357 Sig).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I look for any I can find, even pistol calibers that I no longer shoot, but have dies and supplies for.

Sort it, clean it and store it.

bosco

i would keep it. if you actually got so much that you didn't have room to store it and there was no way in the world you could every use it... THEN MAAAAYBE sell it.... maybe
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

The wife says I have FAR more than I could ever use. Same with primers and powder.

Right now I am loading with primers I bought in the 1960's. Havent touched any bought since then.

Gonna be one HELL of a yard sale when I die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have to feed it, keep it.

bosco

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I started sorting a bunch of range brass last night,I probably sorted about 200 pounds of various calibers,and I didn't hardly dent the pile,I figure it's gonna take me at least a week maybe two to sort and clean this stuff so I can make room in my garage for my bike
    No such thing. I recently got about 500 pounds of brass and still think I'm short I ended up with about 2000 once fired 7mm mag brass same headstamp. I have a friend who has a 7mm so I gave it to him, I then later discovered I just handed him bout $300. Wont due that again next time I'm buying the rifle.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Where do you guys get so much brass? Just buy it online? Friends?

I got mine buying it at the indoor range before they closed,my buddy and I would give the range guy 40.00 to sweep up the brass,and we would get about a 10 gallon bucket full weekly,we did that for about 6 months,when you price brass online or at gunshows,we made out big time.I usually sort enough to load what I'm shooting for the week usually about 200 to 300 rounds of 9mm 40 and 45 acp,and I haven't even dented the pile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links