44mag

This is a discussion on 44mag within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; sure its not much of a big deal to most of you experienced reloaders but I shot my first reloads today out of my Ruger ...

Thread: 44mag

44mag

sure its not much of a big deal to most of you experienced reloaders but I shot my first reloads today out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2".
    Shot placement was right on at 25yds
    I started at the min with n320 (10gr) with 200gr xtp bullets.

I hunt with this gun (whitetail) and was wondering if any of you use this recipe and how it works.

2. Remove Ads

I reload 44 mag for pistol and carbine. I haven't used that particular load, but this is my favorite caliber to load for. P.M. me if there is anything I can help you with.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Yeee Haw, the 44magnum is one of the most user friendly reloads that there is. Once you start reloading 44mags you are hooked, especially once you get into full power loads; since you are shooting a Ruger because you can load them up like cannons.

Yeah reloading is exciting and I am having a ball!

Max reloading is on down the road right now. Been reading up on some different loads and the H110 and the W296 are on my list to try.

Bought the n320 because it can also be used to load 9mm. Its supposed to be a clean burning powder which will help prevent fouling in the in the semi.

Hope to share some recipes with you guys.

My next adventure will be 38sp and 357 for the sp101.

As a word of caution, you are shooting a Ruger so you can load that stiffer than most recommendations due to the heaviness of the gun, however take good care not to over load, learn those signs. 38/357 are a good next step, also easy to load, learn to use your OAL, and to read primers etc. Do not get to far ahead of yourself, remember safety. Here are a few resources that you might like.

http://www.handloads.com/

&

Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith

Thanks Mauser, I will take heed.

I am being very careful with my loading. Measuring and weighing all cases until I get more comfortable with what I am doing.

I am using a Lee breechlock loader with the 4 die sets. Studing and reading before trying anything.

I have reloaded before but that was with an experienced reloading guru watching what I was doing . I no longer have that guru watching.

Thanks for the advice.

you can make up many good loads for the 44mag. i use 2400 and/or h110 powder in my 44 mag loads. i like the 240 gr fmj bullet and a cast lead 240 gr gas check bullet. i work up my loads for a ruger super black hawk w/ 10 inch barrel, a s&w model 29 with a 6 inch barrel and a thompson contender with a 10 inch barrel. got chonrograph data on the loads. pm me if you want the info.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by fishnnut View Post
    sure its not much of a big deal to most of you experienced reloaders but I shot my first reloads today out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2".
    Shot placement was right on at 25yds
    I started at the min with n320 (10gr) with 200gr xtp bullets.

I hunt with this gun (whitetail) and was wondering if any of you use this recipe and how it works.
    If you are going to hunt with it I would move up to 300 gr. bullets esp with a 7.5" barrel. The bullet you are using will not provide good penetration on deer.
    For deer sized game at 50-100 yd. "I" would recommend a hard cast WFN in the 300-320 gr. range at max safe pressure/velocity for "your" pistol. WW-296, H-110, IMR-4227, 2400 with Federal primers will get you there.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Thanks jem. I have killed deer with this gun using 200gr xtp's before just not this powder. Dropped dead in its tracks at 40 yds.
    I found a load I plan on trying with the n320 and the 200gr xtp. 10.9 gr powder which is still below the max of 11.3 for this powder.
    I do however plan on loading many variations of bullet weights and type and powder soon.
    Your loads will be on the list.

H110 is my very favorite powder for .44 Magnum. I've taken a couple of deer with a 240 grain Sierra over a heavy charge of H110.

If your 200 grain handload is accurate and you can place your shots you'll have venison on the ground.

Links