Who'da Thunk? Reloading Gotchas.

This is a discussion on Who'da Thunk? Reloading Gotchas. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Here's a few things I have learned in the last year and a bit since I started reloading. I've done just shy of about 10k ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who'da Thunk? Reloading Gotchas.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Who'da Thunk? Reloading Gotchas.

Here's a few things I have learned in the last year and a bit since I started reloading. I've done just shy of about 10k rounds, mostly .45ACP with a bit of 9mm thrown in. Nothing here that's really a show stopper, just those little annoyances that I never thought about before starting...

• Did you know Fiocchi makes .45ACP brass with small primer pockets???
    • Winchester 9mm primer pockets kinda suck.
    • Somebody at your range uses Berdan primed brass, and you will discover this sooner or later.
    • 38Super brass goes through the shell sorters exactly like 9mm. (So does .380 if you don't have the separate sorter for that one.)
    • If you are picking up .45ACP brass, .40S&W looks exactly like it.
    • If you are picking up 9mm brass, .40S&W looks exactly like it.
    • If you are picking up .40S&W brass, you will end up with a lot of 9mm and .45ACP.
    • The Dillon RL-550B loves to throw spent primers directly into the clean brass hopper.
    • Large pistol primers can make an unexpected appearance in a tray of small pistol primers. (This one really surprised the heck out of me! )

Anybody got anything to add?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    • The XD .45 throws brass downrange inside and about 3 miles to the right outside
    • No matter how careful you are to collect .44 mag brass there will always be 1 or 2 that fling somewhere that 3 weeks with a search party and dogs won't find.
    • Lee powder dispensers dump more powder on you then in the cases.
    • Older CCI rifle and pistol primers look exactally the same.
    • .45 GAP will slip into your .45ACP brass even if nobody at the range shot .45 GAP
    • The chances of wrinkling a case relates directly on how expensive the wasted round would cost.
    • The chances of getting a stuck case out of a sizing die relates directly to the cost of the die in question.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

To resize brass for AR15's you need a small base sizing die,regular dies tend to cause jams.only took me a year to figure that out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JD
    Administrator
    Never take your press apart unless you absolutely, positively MUST do it.

Thing hasn't run right since.

Some new .45 ACP ammo (Federal-Winchester to name two) is produced with NT (non-toxic) primers. Some kind of pressure curve made them swith to SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS) to avoid primer blow outs. I know Winchester is marking the brass with NT stamped in it.

Probably the same for the Fiocchi. They are not recommending reloading it. Could be just a CYA situation.

Just a PIA for us reloaders.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    • .45 GAP will slip into your .45ACP brass even if nobody at the range shot .45 GAP
    Oh, that's right. I knew I was forgetting another subversive case type in my list!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I switched to Lee dies in my Dillon press, so I have the metal depriming pin. During one batch of .45ACP, the press seemed really tight at the end of the resizing stroke. Upon further inspection, I had a .380 stuck inside a .45ACP case. The pin went into the .380, impaled the spent primer, continued through the .45ACP flash hole, and deprimed the larger case.

The entire impaled .380, gored primer and all, stayed stuck on the depriming pin and took about five minutes and a pair of needle-nose pliers to work loose.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I switched to Lee dies in my Dillon press, so I have the metal depriming pin. During one batch of .45ACP, the press seemed really tight at the end of the resizing stroke. Upon further inspection, I had a .380 stuck inside a .45ACP case. The pin went into the .380, impaled the spent primer, continued through the .45ACP flash hole, and deprimed the larger case.

The entire impaled .380, gored primer and all, stayed stuck on the depriming pin and took about five minutes and a pair of needle-nose pliers to work loose.

lolz it goes to show its hard to break a Lee die
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Ok, wow thats funny

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Expander dies really do help the bullets to seat.
    Never try to dig out a primer that seated upside down!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Seems that no matter how hard you look, that at least one .38special brass will slip in with the .357 mags; that might not be true if you do not reload many rounds at one setting.

+100% -Somebody at your range uses Berdan primed brass, and you will discover this sooner or later, especially 9mms.

I was sorting .38 from .357 which I've been saving. I must have found a dozen spent .22lr cases tagging along inside the other shells.
    Funny thing is, when I empty my snubbies, the spent cases go straight into a ziplock bag. So how do the .22's get there?

De priming pins break in the middle of batch that was going so smoothly... you knew it was to good to last.

If the threads on the priming tool are adjusted to far out... the primer will dangerously shear off on the shell holder during the primer seating (upstroke) . This was a pain in the backside to remove from the shell holder and a bit uncomfortable after the bullet was pressed!

Nice pics, Shadow. I'll admit, that's more mangled than I've managed to get a new primer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links