The first 40 cartridges.

This is a discussion on The first 40 cartridges. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I finally got my Lee running in a suitable manner and managed to load up 40 rounds (not including those many unfireable rounds with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first 40 cartridges.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

The first 40 cartridges.

So I finally got my Lee running in a suitable manner and managed to load up 40 rounds (not including those many unfireable rounds with inverted or mangled primers), X20 230gr FMJ round nose, X10 200gr FP, and X20 200gr SWC, all jacketed or plated and I am pleased to say that I did not have a squib, double charge, or any feeding issues.

The 230gr loads are with 8.0gr of HS6 and the 200gr loads are using 8.6gr of the same. The difference in recoil from the 230 and the 200s was insane. Both loads are in the 850-900FPS realm but the 200s just (or seem to) shoot softer.

Best group of the three loads was the 200gr plated SWC with the 200gr flat point taking the #2 spot. The 230 FMJ did well but not nearly as well as the others.

The initial testing was done from a rest, albeit a poor excuse for a rest at 50' with follow up testing done from a two handed hold. I think all the .22 shooting this winter is leading to a nasty flinch, hopefully I'll be able to get more cartridges loaded up without further issue and beat that flinch into submission before the thaw and start of IDPA.

I'll measure the groups later this evening.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    What primers are you using? CCI 300, Winchester WLP, other? Seems like a lot of powder but I don't use HS-6 is it pretty good?

I have pretty good luck with 200g flat nose Ranier bullets with 5gr bullseye and CCi 300 primers. I am able to group pretty well at 15 yards with a 4" pistol.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Currently I'm using Winchester Large Primers (WLP), as for the powder, I'm too green to the reloading thing to know what's good and what's bad. It was in the reloading book, it was available locally I figured why not.

HS-6™

HS-6 is a fine spherical propellant that has wide application in pistol and shotshell. In pistol, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 10mm Auto are some of the cartridges where HS-6 provides top performance. In shotshell HS-6 yields excellent heavy field loadings in 10 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga., and even the efficient and effective 28 ga. HS-6 is truly an outstanding spherical propellant. HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
    I wanted something I could use in 9mm and .45ACP should I start loading 9mm and this seems to be OK based on today's results but until I play around some more later with different loads I really don't know.

I remember seeing HS-6 in my books I just haven't really used it. The WLP primers are pretty sweet since they can be used in magnum applications as well as standard.

I have a Lee progressive press also. Usually I can crank out several batchs of 150-200 without touching the settings, only keeping the primer tray and powder hopper full. I only have trouble with the primer lining up after I do maintenance like tightning bolts and unload the primer tray to clean

I guess the presses don't like to be touched?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

What was your OAL?

8.0 of hs6 is approaching max load for 230 grain FMJ

8.2 is max for 1.200 OAL with hornady fmj fp. with normal round nose FMJ at that length your likely to be over pressure or at least really close

How'd the brass look after? were your primers normal, flattened back out, or pushing out?

may want to run a little lighter depending on your setup (ie automatic powder measure) or length

Personally I like W231 as you have a little more room to play, starting load for 230grain is 4.3, max is 5.3

My happy target load is a 200grain cast RNFP (really a long colt bullet but its still .452) sitting on 5.4grns 231 with OAL of 1.19 and a CCI primer. Plenty of cartridge space to keep pressure low, its almost a powder puff load.

Run it out a little more to 1.26, load of 230grn berrys plated and keep the charge at 5.4 and I have a great hard hitting hard ball substitute

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    What was your OAL?

8.2 is max for 1.200 OAL with hornady fmj fp. with normal round nose FMJ at that length your likely to be over pressure or at least really close

How'd the brass look after? were your primers normal, flattened back out, or pushing out?

may want to run a little lighter depending on your setup (ie automatic powder measure) or length

Personally I like W231 as you have a little more room to play, starting load for 230grain is 4.3, max is 5.3

My happy target load is a 200grain cast RNFP (really a long colt bullet but its still .452) sitting on 5.4grns 231 with OAL of 1.19 and a CCI primer. Plenty of cartridge space to keep pressure low, its almost a powder puff load.

Run it out a little more to 1.26, load of 230grn berrys plated and keep the charge at 5.4 and I have a great hard hitting hard ball substitute
    That's not what the Hornady manual says, cases look fine, primers look fine. The book's at home I'll review it again later but they were not close to max. OAL was also in keeping withe the Hornady manual.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    What was your OAL?

Not true depending on the data set.

Hornady #7 lists 230gr FMJ at 1.230" OAL max charge is 8.7gr HS6 for 900fps from a 5 inch barrel and is lit by a WLP primer. The Hodgdon data you referenced is not the same data set JD was using. Hodgdon uses the Federal #150 primer with a shorter OAL which will change the pressure and data results.

I would be very surprised if they were. That's a medium load.

W231/HP38 (same exact powder) is dirty even when pushed hard. HS6 is much cleaner and gives higher velocity and is better with lead (burns cooler, less smoke).

JD, HS6 is an excellent powder and I've burned a hundred pounds or so in 9mm, .40, 10mm, and 45 ACP along with a few experiments in 32 H&R, .38 Spl and is my standard 20ga shotgun powder. Metering is great (flattened ball powder), consistency is great, and having a medium burn rate it's excellent in lead loads. My carry load in the .45 ACP when I carried one was a 200gr XTP with HS6.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Thanks Tubby.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I use Hogdon Titegroup for my 9mm and .45ACP; since that runs about 4.7gr to push 230gr at ~850fps, the thought of putting 8+gr of *any* powder into a case just makes me shudder.

What's the Lee primer system like? I have some issues with my Dillon, but with a flip tray and a primer tube, I have not had any issues with mangled and upside down primers like you are describing...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Kazzaerexys, one of my 10mm loads uses 17.7gr of powder. That might give you a heart attack. But it's also 1750fps from a 6 inch 1911.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

44 magnum 200gr bullet WLP primer and 26.1gr of lil'gun powder = 1550fps mv

I second tubby45's first post 8.7gr hs-6 max for 230gr .45

The Lee primer feed is gravity fed,any powder on the feed chute etc. causes the primers to not feed right,I use to get the primers where they were half in and half out of the plunger and it would flip them and seat them sideways or upside down,the Dillon is fed by straight drop into the primer feed and is almost 100% flawless.
    I have been using (American Select) powder lately for all my pistol loads,last year when I was looking to stock up unique and bullseye were sold out,so I did some research into what was available,using H322 for 223 loads
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The primer system on my progressive press works hunky dory as long as I keep the tray full.

Glad to hear you finally got that thing running. I read your blog post and it seems like you had quite a nightmare. Made me not mind my slow single stage press so much. I made 100 rounds today in about 2 hrs. Slow but sure. lol

You said you wanted a powder that could do .45 and 9mm, so here is my suggestion for next time u need powder and want to try something different, which you may not, but anyway here goes

I use Bullseye, it is a good all around powder for 9mm, 45, 38, .357, 40, etc. It uses less volume than what you are talking about, so it will go further. Unique is a good versitile powder too. I like to use one powder for everything to keep it simple.

I used to only use Unique for all pistol loads, but got a deal on 8 pounds of Bullseye for $100, so i use it for them all now.

Reloader 15 for all my rifle rounds, from .223 to 30-06. IMR 4895 is another good all around powder that will work in darn near every rifle caliber there is, up to 375 H&H. In fact, it is more versitile than RL-15, but I started with RL-15 and it works in every caliber I own, so I stick with it. If I had it to do over, knowig what I know now, I may have started with 4895 instead.

Good luck and have fun with it.
    Last edited by sgtD; March 6th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Thanks SGT, I'll keep that one in mind.

Yeah, getting this Lee running has been a pain the rear, but I think I've got it all figured out now. I think I'll still buy a Dillon later on, but at least I can load on this till then, all in all I'm still way under the cost of what a new press would have cost me and while the trouble shooting has been a burden, I've learned a lot on how the press works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links