Accurate Reloads

This is a discussion on Accurate Reloads within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've noticed in the few hundred reloads I've done in 9mm that they seem to be a bit less accurate than factory loads. I've used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accurate Reloads

Accurate Reloads

I've noticed in the few hundred reloads I've done in 9mm that they seem to be a bit less accurate than factory loads. I've used two different brands of bullets and the first 100 was purchased at cabelas (not sure what brand....the only distinguishing feature was that the lead was exposed on the bottom of the bullet, and it was copper jacketed), and another batch was bought at my local range (the bullets sucked, and had all kinds of imperfections....im guessing this hurt the accuracy a bit.) I got my Berry's plated in the mail today and they look a lot better than both the other brands.

Anyway, I know it's not my shooting. My 9mm is a Beretta M9, and its a tack driver with factory rounds (my groups are very small, basically just making the hole bigger at 7yds). With my reloads I keep noticing that I get stragglers that end up making a hole a few inches from where I aim. I use 8 grains of blue dot powder. I do not tumble my brass, but I clean the inside and primer pocket and lube them.

I stay within 1.159-1.165 OAL (max is 1.169)

Any help making my rounds more accurate would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    man... no wonder you are getting bad accuracy... blue dot is used for shotgun and magnum pistol loads.... 8 grains is probably way too much. You have a reload formula book?

Get some pistol powder, clean up your brass and try again.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Blue Dot is terribly inconsistent in pistols. Get some Unique or Bullseye and try it again, you'll be happy you did.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    man... no wonder you are getting bad accuracy... blue dot is used for shotgun and magnum pistol loads.... 8 grains is probably way too much. You have a reload formula book?

Get some pistol powder, clean up your brass and try again.
    I figured it was my powder. I'll have to pick up some Unique or Bullseye (probably have to wait for the next gun show). The range has neither. Been looking since I got my reloading stuff in january. Thanks. Plus blue dot is some dirty stuff

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I think you'll like the Berry's bullets, I've had good luck with them.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    hornaday book says

Winchester Action pistol
    AA#7
    Alliant Power Pistol

are good powders to get.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Well, your OAL, although acceptable from a safety standpoint has too much variation for good accuracy. Accuracy is the product of uniformity. I just pulled a handful of rounds that are still in the 1050's collection bin and measured the OAL. Spread was 1.1400-1.1435" and a sample size of 14 rounds. You have an OAL variation of .0060" with mine being .0035", almost half. Tighten that variation up and you will get a more consistent burn which leads to accuracy.

Blue Dot will work in 9mm but isn't optimal as it's a bit slow for the case volume. If you were shooting heavy bullets it would work better.

I'm not a fan of fast powders but Titegroup will work well. #7 was made with 9mm in mind and is generally accepted as the slowest recommended for the 9mm. Power Pistol is a factory used powder. For my personal loads in 9mm I use HS6 and WSF, favoring WSF for economy per round (less charge weight).

I would change powder first, dial in a consistent OAL, and work up. Your groups will duplicate or beat the factory accuracy soon enough. Just have to find the load the gun likes. Generally, pick a load that will get you the factory velocity you seek with the most powder. This will get you started on the right path.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

One other thing, to get really consistent 9mm rounds you need to have the cases all the same length. It does not sound like much but a few hundredths can really screw things up. SO proper AOL and case length. Then like everyone else said a good powder, I like bulleyes or Unique, have tite group, but there are lots of good powder if you look at the reloading manuals. I would suggest that you get a good lymans or speer reloading manual.

Below is a link that might help you out a bit on reloading the 9mm.

9mm reloading

For range ammo brass length is not critical. Maybe if you are shooting a match and have lots of money riding on it. Even then, I know a lot of competition shooters and not a single one of them trims pistol brass.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Last year when bullseye unique and all the usual powders were impossible to find I switched to Alliant American Select,starting load is 4.4 grns behind a 125 grain jacketed bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't see the bullet weight you're loading but regardless, you're either at or above the listed charge from Alliant.

Whatever powder you settle on, try some mid-range or lower loads, especially with lead or plated bullets. I've found that I get my best accuracy from mid-range loadings and for target/practice shooting, it's not necessary to run full house, barn burning loads. If the round cycles the action on your gun, your paper target will be just as dead at 900 fps as it is at 1200 fps.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I don't see the bullet weight you're loading but regardless, you're either at or above the listed charge from Alliant.
    Alliant recommends 8.5. for 115 grain.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll tighten my oal and change powder. Ill see how tightening the OAL affects accuracy saturday most likely....Powder when I can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordHamlett View Post
    Alliant recommends 8.5. for 115 grain.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll tighten my oal and change powder. Ill see how tightening the OAL affects accuracy saturday most likely....Powder when I can get it.
    It's not really a recommendation, it's a maximum.
    REDUCE RIFLE AND HANDGUN CHARGE WEIGHTS BY 10% TO ESTABLISH A STARTING LOAD.
    The exceptions to this are the loads listed as "target" in the 38 Special and 45 ACP data tables.

DO NOT EXCEED THE LOADS DISPLAYED ON THE SITE OR ALLIANT'S RELOADERS GUIDE.
    But you're right. I should have said close to or above. 115 is 8.5, 124 is 7.9 and 147 is 5.8.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Unique or W231 works well.

Emrah

+1 for W231
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links