Load data .454 casull

Load data .454 casull

This is a discussion on Load data .454 casull within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My friend is starting to reload .454 rounds and is unable to find good load data. I'm looking at the manufacturers site (hodgdons). He's using ...

Thread: Load data .454 casull

Load data .454 casull

My friend is starting to reload .454 rounds and is unable to find good load data. I'm looking at the manufacturers site (hodgdons). He's using W296. Start load on their site is 27.5 grains, max 28.5 grains. The thing is, the bullet type is 250grain cast round nose. The site says 150 "BAR X"? What is Bar x? I know with most handguns people say to keep the velocity sub-sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by LordHamlett View Post
    My friend is starting to reload .454 rounds and is unable to find good load data. I'm looking at the manufacturers site (hodgdons). He's using W296. Start load on their site is 27.5 grains, max 28.5 grains. The thing is, the bullet type is 250grain cast round nose. The site says 150 "BAR X"? What is Bar x? I know with most handguns people say to keep the velocity sub-sonic.
    I have no experience with .454 Casull, but you have a typo - it should be 250 Bar-x. Bar-x is a bullet type and is probably a jacketed round. Since he is using cast lead, he should drop the starting point a couple of grains and go from there.

As for keeping handgun rounds sub-sonic, there really is no need for such a thing unless one is using a suppressor (sometimes erroneously called a silencer) and in 40 years of shooting and handloading, I have never heard any such advice.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I think he means to keep the cast bullet subsonic to keep leading down. This is dependent on bullet hardness and velocity. IICR I don't think you need gas checks until the hard cast bullet is reaching speeds over 1400fps, well past subsonic speeds.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

The 454 is awesome

This is an older posting, fellow probably found some good loads by now, but the 454 Casull is a favorite of mine, feel I just must opine.

First, mine is a Freedom Arms. I couldn't be bothered with anything else. They are precision, hence accurate rivalling a T/C single-shooter. Also, expensive, so, I purchased a Field Model, fixed sights, rubber grips (made a set from Iron Wood before firing the first time). Tried some 260 gr factories. Shot low. Did not want to file (short) front sight to compensate. Obtained 300 gr bullets (critically important use FA bullets, or Hornady XTP Mag, etc - softer bullets will destroy the forcing cone, local gunsmith confirmed). tested to 31.0 gr H110 for 1650 fps, dead on hold at 125 yds, all shots on a pie plate at 150 yards. Carried this for elk hunting, as really, what does a factory loaded 45-70 have on it? Cases eject normally in the FA, use great caution in Ruger, Taurus, etc. Was reading that L'il Gun gave high velocity at lower pressure. Worked up to 31 gr with 300 gr bullets. Accuracy awesome, but printed lower. Chronographed at 1730, less than 20 fps deviation (higher velocities will often print lower). Cases fall out of FA just holding muzzle up and rotating the cylinder. This, of course, is not a defensive carry arm, or load.

For milder loads, 45 LC can be used, but i would recommend light loads in Casull cases. In this case you can use any 452 pistol bullet. I wouldn't consider using lead bullets in mine. I have an EMF Dakota for that, and as such, I've never fired anything but Pet loads in my FA. Anyone who has tried to mix lead and jacketed bullets should know accuracy is horrible, and jacketed over lead fouling isn't ever a good idea.

In the years since, there are bigger calibers, but I'm not sure better..... Mark
    Last edited by JadeValkyrie; April 16th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling errors, embarressed

Sponsored Links