Vermont l: Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners"

This is a discussion on Vermont l: Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did not verify this. I got this from my motorcycle forum, but you Vermonters can verify. Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the ...

Thread: Vermont l: Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners"

I did not verify this. I got this from my motorcycle forum, but you Vermonters can verify.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state.

Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals

Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent."

Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state.

"There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state .. it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation

" America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the ********."

This makes sense! There is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns.

Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I think this was posted back a few months ago. I really like the way he thinks.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Alaska allows concealed carry without a license.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

evo
    If I ever decide to move...
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I think this was posted back a few months ago. I really like the way he thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    If I ever decide to move...
    ^^^Boy and how^^^^

Wasn't some sheriff down south trying to do the same thing in the county where he was?

Need to get that mentallity to proliferate in the Supreme court, and congress

Anything Free Is Worth What You Pay For It
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I don't really care for the idea. This would be blatant discrimination against those who employ other sorts of weapons.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

This is old... but true, Fred Maslack did, in fact, while a State Representative, introduce such a bill — in 2000....

Alphecca Vermont to Register Non-Gun Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I don't really care for the idea. This would be blatant discrimination against those who employ other sorts of weapons.
    Well I don't see why those that carry a good combat blade or maybe a bow couldn't be exempt from the fee. Those are "arms" as well.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Wouldn't this just be reverse registration of gun owners (make a list of those without arms and then you use process of elimination to find out those who do.)?

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    Wouldn't this just be reverse registration of gun owners (make a list of those without arms and then you use process of elimination to find out those who do.)?
    My thoughts exactly.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I like the way he thinks.

The anit's always argue that guns don't prevent crime, so lets create a list of all those homes that are unarmed and give it to the public. And then we will see which homes get burglarized. If they truly believe that gun ownership of the public is not a crime deterant, then they should have no problem with this.
    Walk softly ...

Kennesaw, GA did more than this 20 or more years ago after a series of violent crimes. They passed a law requiring every adult, or every household, I don't recall which, to own a firearm. The crime rate plummeted immediately thereafter. I believe the law is in place to this day.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Registration based on ANY kind of ownership status is still registration no matter how you slice it. We are free to make our own choice about whether or not to own/carry a firearm and government at all levels must be barred from doing ANYTHING about the choice a citizen makes.

The law in Kennesaw requiring every head of household to own a firearm is definitely on the books but is NOT enforced. While this has had a dramatic effect, no liberty is genuine if government can force your choice.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Sponsored Links