Anti-RKBA Press still at it -- Re VA Tuck

This is a discussion on Anti-RKBA Press still at it -- Re VA Tuck within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Also reprinted in Roanoke Times State's police chiefs seek veto of guns-in-bars bill | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com State's police chiefs seek veto of guns-in-bars bill ...

Thread: Anti-RKBA Press still at it -- Re VA Tuck

VIP Member

Thumbs down Anti-RKBA Press still at it -- Re VA Tuck

Also reprinted in Roanoke Times

State's police chiefs seek veto of guns-in-bars bill | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

State's police chiefs seek veto of guns-in-bars bill

By Deirdre Fernandes
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © March 17, 2010
    VIRGINIA BEACH

Calling guns in bars a "recipe for disaster," the state's police chiefs have pleaded with Gov. Bob McDonnell to veto legislation that would ease Virginia's concealed weapon laws.

Virginia Beach police Chief Jake Jacocks Jr. sent a letter to McDonnell last week on behalf of the state association of chiefs comparing the combination of firearms and alcohol with drinking and driving.

"We can fully expect that at some point in the future a disagreement that today would likely end up in a verbal confrontation, or a bar fight, will inevitably end with gunfire if you sign this legislation into law," Jacocks wrote.

SB334's requirement that anybody with a gun is prohibited from drinking and could be charged with a misdemeanor is "absurd," Jacocks said, and can't be enforced.

On Tuesday, Jacocks got support from Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms, a McDonnell supporter and gun owner.

"Not only is it stupid," Sessoms said, "I think it could be a fatal mistake."

But their efforts seem unlikely to sway McDonnell.

McDonnell will sign the bill, said Taylor Thornley, the governor's spokeswoman. While McDonnell appreciates the work and comments of the police chiefs, he will "continue to protect and uphold the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens," Thornley said.

The bill deals only with concealed weapons; in Virginia it's legal to carry a gun openly without a permit.

SB334 and its House counterpart, along with legislation that allows gun owners without concealed-carry permits to store firearms in locked vehicle compartments, were among the gun-friendly bills approved by the General Assembly this year. The Democratic-controlled Senate formed a special subcommittee late in the session to kill several gun-rights bills, including a repeal of the state's one-handgun-purchase-a-month limit.

The police chiefs association has opposed the guns in bars bill in the past, but it also had a more sympathetic ear. Former Democratic Gov. Timothy M. Kaine twice vetoed such bills.

The Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police didn't come out strongly against the bills during the session because it was spread too thin trying to preserve state funding for police departments, said Dana Schrad, the organization's executive director.

"We didn't duck and cover on this one," Schrad said. "We had to prioritize on budget issues."

The Virginia Sheriffs' Association, the other large law-enforcement lobby in the General Assembly, did not take a stand on the legislation, said John Jones, the organization's executive director.

"No, we're not going down that road," Jones said.

But association members recently did vote on a resolution supporting Second Amendment rights, Jones said.

Jacocks and Schrad did acknowledge that the letter was a last-ditch effort.

"It was important to let him know directly how we felt about this issue," Jacocks said.

If police across Virginia see an increase in gun violence at bars, the association will come back and ask the General Assembly to reconsider its decision, Schrad said.

Statistics on gun-related incidents at establishments with liquor licenses were not available Tuesday.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

"We can fully expect that at some point in the future a disagreement that today would likely end up in a verbal confrontation, or a bar fight, will inevitably end with gunfire if you sign this legislation into law," Jacocks wrote.
    You can expect the EXACT same thing from an illegally carrying person now. Why do you care more about the legally carried guns?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    You can expect the EXACT same thing from an illegally carrying person now. Why do you care more about the legally carried guns?
    Used your comment as a spring board for mine:

This comment is awaiting staff approval.

Submitted by Daveh on Wed, 03/17/2010 at 10:45 am.

You can expect the EXACT same thing from persons carrying illegally now.

What doesn't happen now is that the law-abiding citizen protecting him or herself while going to and from the restaurant -- because he/she is disarmed not only in the restaurant, but also in route from where ever they can legally carry concealed.

What we can fully expect is the assault and armed robbery of law-abiding citizen in the Unarmed-Victim-Rich-Zones (they are not Gun-Free_Zones because the criminal elements disregard the law) the current law creates around such restaurants.

The thing that the new law will change is that the law-abiding citizen might have the opportunity to protect him or herself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Other comments

>>
    Submitted by Pourshot on Wed, 03/17/2010 at 10:39 am.

Sheriffs are officials elected by the people. Police Chiefs are appointed. So, whereas Sheriffs owe their allegiance to the people, the Police Chiefs owe their allegiance to those that hired them whether it be the Mayor, Town Councel, County Board of Supervisors, or whatever.

So, what we really have here is the servant, Chief Jake Jacocks Jr., doing his master’s, Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms, bidding. Regardless of what the Chief thinks (and I am sure, he has to, or at least I hope he has more gun smarts than this) he is going to follow his master’s lead.

I think Mayor Will Sessoms and Chief Jake Jacocks Jr., should look across this country so they can discover for themselves that Virginia is one of the FEW states in this country that DOES disallow guns in restaurants. Oh by the way, did the chief fail to tell you that there are no bars in Virginia? True! They are all considered restaurants by the code (law).

This is the same hysterics that said there would be blood in the streets in 1995 when Virginia liberalized their concealed carry laws and transitioned from ‘may issue’ to ‘shall issue’ in 1995. It is not going to happen!

Guys, do some research
    <<

>>

Submitted by jjdes on Wed, 03/17/2010 at 10:02 am.

I am a deputy in NC and I currently can go to a restaurant in VA that serves alcohol and have a drink with my meal while carrying a concealed handgun. I cannot be "under the influence" but I can drink while armed (I don't but that is not the point) and so can every one of those chiefs who signed or agreed with the letter.

In essence, they believe that their right to carry a firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol is more important than the right of a law abiding citizen to carry a concealed weapon in the same restaurant while NOT drinking. Don't give me the "they're always cops" routine because the Chief of VB is no more a cop in Fairfax Co. than I am. Trust me, most off duty cops carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

If you ask the average cop, who spends his/her day dealing with criminals instead of politicians, almost all of them will tell you that an armed law-abiding citizen is not the problem. So when I go to the Fuddruckers in NOVA to have a burger and a soda...I am carrying a firearm.
    <<

>>
    Submitted by lookmanohands on Wed, 03/17/2010 at 10:26 am.

And to take that point further, if you did a survey of the wives and adult children of police officers, you'd find a substantial number who have a concealed carry permit which they were encouraged to get by the police officer member of their family. This is because those officers are perfectly aware of the real risk of violence in the world, and they want their own loved ones to have a fighting chance. Any cop who takes that position and then with their own family and but not with the rest of society is not a cop I want for a partner.
    <<
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This manufactured controversy is such BS, and it just underscores how thoroughly hypocritical and disingenuous these people are. The CHP is selectively used to indicate someone who is more competent and trustworthy in laws where only CHP holders are allowed to carry, and at the same time, when it suits political purposes, CHP holders are characterized as drunkards unable to control themselves, just waiting to get ripped and go on a rampage.

Those against the legislation conveniently overlook the fact that people have been allowed to carry openly AND DRINK for as long as there have been taverns in Virginia, and none of this wild behavior has happened. Enter the oblivions, who, for whatever reason, are fine when I have my sportcoat tucked behind my pistol, but think that, if my coat falls over my pistol, I become some raging, slobbering, drunken fool, in true Jekyl and Hyde fashion. It's just bizarre.

These people have to lie and purposely mislead the public in an effort to carry the day with their position. I'm so frelling tired of it. They are truly mentally ill, and they need intensive therapy.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I've always wondered where these Chiefs get their crystal balls from?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I've always wondered where these Chiefs get their crystal balls from?
    Checking where the IACP gets a large part of its funding might help.

A decent newspaper would post a discloser on the Brady Bunch's funding of the IACP, when these appointed (hired; not elected) political hacks spout off for his-dishonor-ship-from NYC's mayors against guns.

BTW -- Tom357, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links